Can someone ID this front sub-frame?

MoPar~Man

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I bought this front stub this summer, it was billed as being '65-68 C body, I made some measurements before I bought it to confirm that it does seem to match what I'm looking for ('67 Monaco) but I'm wondering about the engine mounts. Is this what I'm looking for? For a V8?

315.jpg

314.JPG

312.jpg

I have a 65 chrysler and a 66. My 66 is away, I'll look on the weekend. I think the left engine mount is farther ahead on a 65 K frame. That looks a lot like my 65. I could be wrong but I'll check.

Why do these motor mounts look to be in different positions? The rusted frame is a '67 Newport that had a 383. For the black-painted frame, what exactly do I have here? The motor mount positions look to be further apart.

063.jpg

068.jpg

Why do these motor mounts look to be in different positions? The rusted frame is a '67 Newport that had a 383. For the black-painted frame, what exactly do I have here? The motor mount positions look to be further apart.

View attachment 636551

View attachment 636552
What you bought is probably for a later year, ie like 1970+ via looking at the dual oval engine mounting bolt holes.

1967-1972 had the same rubber motor mounts with the through bolt.

That black one may be a 1965, they had 2 studs on the rubber mounts. See the mount pad is in front of the steering box, not next to it like the rusted one. Do you recall the oddball drivers side bracket in 1965 that bolts to the front of the block?

the black one has sway bar mounts so that usually means big block. But another idea on those mounts is a slant 6. I'm not familiar with their mount type or positioning.

DC3CE275-4B18-4F2E-96D9-B3AEB45977E5.png

These images were taken from the various service manuals on mymopar. I didn't see a usable diagram for 1965.

I don't know if this is worthy of it's own thread, but one thing that stands out for me is the seemingly identical frame dimensions for the 1970 frame and the '66 - '67 frames.

The 1970 frame has an extension for the sedans and hard tops - I wonder why these are not present for the converts and wagons. But I would think that if you take a 1970 (and what other fusey years?) stub frame, cut off the extension if it has one, you've then got a frame for a slab car. Yes or No?

A few minor changes (1/16") between '66 and '67.

For me, what's important is that since I obviously have a Fury slant-6 frame, is it just a matter of welding in the correct engine mounts for an 8-CYL engine?

Are the upper control arms identical between Monaco and Fury? Are they mounted identically? Is the steering gear and idler arm bracket also identically located?

1966-monaco-polara-frame.gif

1967-monaco-polara-frame.gif

1967-fury-6-frame.gif

1967-fury-8-frame.gif

1970-monaco-polara-frame.gif

I’m going with the black one being 65 big block. One year deal on c bodies, the mount bracket pictured above places the mount forward about 1.5 times the width of the biscuit
Travis..

I agree. Looks like a 65 only big block frame. You have to modify and weld on your 67 style mount, or find the oddball 65 only bracket. Problem is, many blocks don't have the extra hole on the front side to accommodate it.

No, the black subframe I have I'm sure is from a Fury with /6. (I'm saying this not because I was told this, but based on what I'm seeing in these frame diagrams. The seller didn't know what car or what engine belonged to this frame). The sockets on frame for rear part of the torsion bars are not extended (like they are, for a few inches, on Dodges and Chryslers). This frame takes 44" torsion bars, not 47". Compare the '67 Fury frame diagram with the '67 Monaco/Polara diagram, you'll see the difference. Now I can't be sure the mounts are for /6, but if nobody here has a C-body with /6 then we can't know for sure - nobody on the A-body forums would be able to answer this I'm thinking.

This is an old photo of the /6 in my '65 Polara, but it doesn't quite show the engine mount to frame details.

slant-6-in-polara.jpg

And why not, here's a photo from '87 showing my '67 Monaco during some of the frame and body cleanup, resto, and engine swap:

67-Monaco-frame-firewall.jpg

Last edited:
That mount on the slant looks like it goes long ways front to back and it appears to be next to the steering box. I’m sticking with 65 big block something or other. I had a 65 NYer and still have the mount so I a fairly familiar. Just as an fyi, 67-69 big block a-bodies use this mount as well, and there is someone that repops that engine bracket. They also make a version that connects to bolt holes that all big blocks have, but it looks a little clumsy compared to the regular one.
Travis..

Back