Canadian 383s in the mid 60s

That's a '71. Correct?

Thinking about it, I may not be correct about '71 HP engines with A/C not being orange.
Yes, I’m certain that the original paint was still on the block when I pulled it.

Last edited:
I think we had a bunch of extra engine paint to get rid of so all were re until the day they ran out...:lol:
My replacement Poly was originally marine blue but I painted red to match up with the original engine that was red...
BTW, I have corrected the oil breather cap colour to satin black after a few stern comments of it being the wrong colour LOL!
E-P1840551_2_3_4_5_CR08.jpg

Last edited:
To keep on topic, the focus is on Canadian built and marketed C body cars. Chrysler Fusey's and E body cars were not built in Canada.
In the link I posted about Chrysler Canada by 69/70 things were pretty much the same between across the corporate border.
Regardless of body type,Chrysler did build cars in the US and on the broadcast sheeet and fender tag it will state built to Canadian Specs.
Windsor did build Darts,Swingers and Valiants and were shipped/sold in the US. And also for Canadian market.
By that time all engines were corporate colors regardles of origin or market.

Why were the engine colors seemingly different for CA-market cars? Engines built in USA plant to CA specs (IF they were different), painted red rather than otherwise, in the earlier '60s?

I read an article last year that some of the '64 era 318s were unique to CA vehicles, and NOT the same as USA 318s at that time. Like a Poly 318 with some different internals that really weren't 318cid?

Seems to be some mystery as to the "blue" or "orange" 383 "N" motors in various vehicles, '70 - '71 model years. Things we might not have paid strict attention to back then OR paid strict attention to the particular model the engine was in. When I thought the clouds were cleared out, then it appears they really weren't. btaim.

CBODY67

Why were the engine colors seemingly different for CA-market cars? Engines built in USA plant to CA specs (IF they were different), painted red rather than otherwise, in the earlier '60s?

I read an article last year that some of the '64 era 318s were unique to CA vehicles, and NOT the same as USA 318s at that time. Like a Poly 318 with some different internals that really weren't 318cid?

Seems to be some mystery as to the "blue" or "orange" 383 "N" motors in various vehicles, '70 - '71 model years. Things we might not have paid strict attention to back then OR paid strict attention to the particular model the engine was in. When I thought the clouds were cleared out, then it appears they really weren't. btaim.

CBODY67
A lot of things were changing and a lot of funky things had happened at that time period.
I know of a 72 Demon built in April 1972 but the numbers matching 340 has a casting date of January 1971!
It has the good crank but has correct low compression pistons. Figure that one out!
Bottom line is never say never with Chrysler.

Back when cast cranks were allegedly in "everything", '73&'74 400 and 440 4-speeds (only) B-bodies still had STEEL cranks, according to the parts book.

To keep on topic, the focus is on Canadian built and marketed C body cars. Chrysler Fusey's and E body cars were not built in Canada.
In the link I posted about Chrysler Canada by 69/70 things were pretty much the same between across the corporate border.
Regardless of body type,Chrysler did build cars in the US and on the broadcast sheeet and fender tag it will state built to Canadian Specs.
Windsor did build Darts,Swingers and Valiants and were shipped/sold in the US. And also for Canadian market.
By that time all engines were corporate colors regardles of origin or market.
Since when do we stay on topic?

Seems to be some mystery as to the "blue" or "orange" 383 "N" motors in various vehicles, '70 - '71 model years. Things we might not have paid strict attention to back then OR paid strict attention to the particular model the engine was in.
My '70 Plymouth Sport Fury was built for canadian market (Y07) at the Windsor, Ontario plant, and the 383HP 4-bbl engine (N-code) is turquoise.

Last edited:
Not only were Canadian big blocks assembled at the Windsor plant painted red up to 1966, but they were also painted after mating them to the transmission, so red overspray on the bellhousing is normal. US engines were painted before being mated to the transmission.

Also, power steering pump and pulleys were painted red, while on US-built engines I believe these should be black.

My Canadian 68 Monaco's 318LA was red... so I built a 440 for it and painted it red as well. No clue why I did that.

every mid 60s Canadian 383 2 BBL I've ever seen was red but I've yet to come across a Canadian mid 60s 383 4 BBL. Does anyone know if these were red as well or turquoise like the U.S engines?
Mine is a 65 383 and it is red, from Canada.

Anybody know the part number for a 65 Canadian 383 points and condenser? The Canadian points are different from the US points. I'm trying to find them on-line, but not having any luck. Thank You, B

Last edited:
Back