Can't find a Speedo cable to fit

Commandough

Reaction score
I have had a terrible time since the day I made the mistake of tossing the original speedo cable for the 68 Town and Country, but what am I missing here? I have looked at many instrument heads online and they all have the same 3/8" OD threaded fitting, while all the cables I try come with 5/8". Nothing fits, and not the clip-on variety. Did I inadvertently remove an adapter when I pulled the original cable off the instruments, and that's why it is proving so difficult to find a cable that fits?

20211002_142845.jpg

I’d call Murray Park.

I tried that, no reply for over a month. I've reached out to a few different folks and figured as common as this set up looks from other instrument heads for sale, someone should know if I'm missing a part or which cable I need. Did wagons in 68 come with something weird?

No auto pilot, right? Cable goes straight from head to trans?
I’m actually surprised it’s not the nylon end that just pushes/clips on.

Perhaps a trip to a plumbing supply or "has everything and then some" hardware store to seek out a "size adapter" that will screw onto the speedo head, with some red Loctite possibly, and then with an OD that matches the IN of the speedo cable threads? In other words, threads/inch spec on the inside and the same thread/inch spec on the outside of the adapter. Might be called a "bushing"?

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I believe, in your image, that would be where the trip odometer cable goes. Speedo would be clip on.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Trip odometer fitting.
20211002_142845 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Yep, for sure.

Awesome, I was completely turned around and thinking the odometer reset went up top. I am extremely thankful for you guys helping me figure this one out. :thumbsup:

Back