Can't stop the trans leak

Fredo

Reaction score
Well I can't seem to get a good seal on the trans oil pan. I figure it's out of whack so I need to replace it. I just R&Rd the gasket and filter
I'm leaning towards Aluminum for the rigidity but the price is a deterrent.
Pros, cons, input?

Stock steel pan, painted, not chromed, new style 504 (? - not sure of tranny #) gasket that is neoprene and beaded, NO RTV, and torqued to spec, retorqued, and retorqued a third time.

Posted via Topify on Android

I know it's a 727 torque-flight big block bell housing, Any heat cycles between torques?

Are you sure it's the pan? Leaks at the dip stick tube and valve body can appear to be oil pan.

I had the same problem with my 68 fury with a 727. Over the years different people over-tightened the pan and made it so it wouldn't get a good seal. The solution I found was to get a good quality pan gasket, not the cheap ones that come with the filter kit and a good quality pan. I have used this pan on both my 68 fury with a 727 and my 85 dodge truck with a 727.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7598-Chrome...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af8141c35&vxp=mtr

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we..._5785235-p?searchTerm=transmission+pan+gasket

Well I can't seem to get a good seal on the trans oil pan. I figure it's out of whack so I need to replace it. I just R&Rd the gasket and filter
I'm leaning towards Aluminum for the rigidity but the price is a deterrent.
Pros, cons, input?

Fredo. I used an aluminum B+M pan on the Batwagon and it waz under $100 "when I started"! Real nice drain plug but it hung down lower then my centerlink and had to be shortened up. Had a machine shop carve almost two inches horizontaly rite out of the middle and then took it to an aluminum welding artist and had him do hiz magic on the outside and inside AND THEN TOOK IT BACK TO THE MACHINE SHOP AND HAD THEM FLATTEN THE MATING SERFACE TO THE 727 WHICH AFTER THE WELD, IT NEEDED........3 DIFFERENT GASKETS WITH AND WITHOUT GORILLA SNOT, GORILLA SNOT WITHOUT ANY GASKETAND YEAH KNOW WHAT? THEIRZ STILL A RED SPOT ON THE GARAGE FLOOR WHEN i MOOV THE BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jer

^^^ And that's the problem with the aftermarket pans, they're all extra capacity & way too deep.

Are you sure it's the pan? Leaks at the dip stick tube and valve body can appear to be oil pan.

I agree with Big John there are other areas that will leak and drift down to the pan so you think the pan is leaking. Mine actually ended up being the pressed seal where the shift linkage entered the transmission. There is a real nice write up here on the site. I will see if I can find it and add it to this reply.

Here is the link I was looking for. http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...24-a-bit-of-help-please-with-727-transmission

Last edited:
Yeah I chased the leak down he other day, it's definatley the pan. Aa good cleaning and a puff of flour will show you even the smallest leak pretty quick. I use a snot sucker like they have for new babies.

Use mopar rtv on pan side only not too much thin bead stick gasket to pan lining up holes of course, turn it over and onto a flat surface place a couple of bricks, a battery, or something not too heavy on it. Go to bar for a couple of hours, mow grass, shovel snow, watch football game or whatever for a few hours then put it on, don't torque the crap out of it, and you should be good. Also I'm assuming you knocked down the high spots with a ball peen and a block of wood.

Use mopar rtv on pan side only not too much thin bead stick gasket to pan lining up holes of course, turn it over and onto a flat surface place a couple of bricks, a battery, or something not too heavy on it. Go to bar for a couple of hours, mow grass, shovel snow, watch football game or whatever for a few hours then put it on, don't torque the crap out of it, and you should be good. Also I'm assuming you knocked down the high spots with a ball peen and a block of wood.
Or spend 20 bucks for a brand new pan...

You still have to set it up that way if you have to spend more than 5 min tapping the bolt holes down you probably do need a new pan

How many here have stripped a thread in the tranny because the case is aluminum?
Don't everybody raise their hand at once.

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:
I'm rebuilding the trans in a friends chevy truck first pan bolt I touched snapped right off lost 4 when done damn salt and corrosion.

Back