Car guy Road Trip through the Southwest

vdk2010

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to go on a Road Trip with 9 other car guys and we are looking for things to do along the way.
Can someone recommend something along the following routes?

We have 8 Days and driving from Las Vegas to either Houston or Dallas taking a more northern route or a more southern route.
The routes are not set, but both are around 1,500 Miles long, which is doable in 8 days without having to rush.
We want to take back roads and see "Small Town USA" and prefer not do use Highways but would probably do it to get through not interesting areas quickly if necessary.

As I said, we are all car guys in general, and especially into classic cars. We like to roam classic car junkyards, museums and such things!

Screenshot 2022-08-31 101857.png

Here is a link to my Google Map, where I already have marked some things along the way.
https://www.google.de/maps/d/edit?mid=1WbkiSxQ5yB2HJpiGejLRjhTGXGvcSFc&usp=sharing

I'm happy about any help and/or suggestion!

Thanks, Julian

I can’t really help you buddy but I will say that San Antonio and Austin are nice.

I'm planning to go on a Road Trip with 9 other car guys and we are looking for things to do along the way.
Can someone recommend something along the following routes?

We have 8 Days and driving from Las Vegas to either Houston or Dallas taking a more northern route or a more southern route.
The routes are not set, but both are around 1,500 Miles long, which is doable in 8 days without having to rush.
We want to take back roads and see "Small Town USA" and prefer not do use Highways but would probably do it to get through not interesting areas quickly if necessary.

As I said, we are all car guys in general, and especially into classic cars. We like to roam classic car junkyards, museums and such things!

View attachment 555267
Here is a link to my Google Map, where I already have marked some things along the way.
https://www.google.de/maps/d/edit?mid=1WbkiSxQ5yB2HJpiGejLRjhTGXGvcSFc&usp=sharing

I'm happy about any help and/or suggestion!

Thanks, Julian
Here’s some:

Seguaro National Park Basic Information - Saguaro National Park (U.S. National Park Service)
Pima Air Museum (B-36 is HUGE!) Home - Pima Air & Space
Titan Missile Museum - missile still in a silo) Home | Titan Missile Museum
Ronald Reagan Presidential Library (this is a fabulous museum) Ronald Reagan Presidential Library & Museum | Ronald Reagan
USS Iowa museum - San Pedro, CA https://www.pacificbattleship.com/

If you pass through Winslow, AZ., stop at the name sake corner from the Eagles song "Take it Easy"; and have lunch at the La Posada Hotel / Santa Fe train depots Tourquoise Room Resturant, order the Signature soup as a starter it is awsome.

Last edited:
If you do the southern route, there's a huge junkyard just east of San Antonio in Seguin TX. Forgot the name but I was there in 2013ish. Like several 1000 of cars there. Make sure to wear boots though, I came across 2 snakes in those 2 hours I've been there

If you do the southern route, there's a huge junkyard just east of San Antonio in Seguin TX. Forgot the name but I was there in 2013ish. Like several 1000 of cars there. Make sure to wear boots though, I came across 2 snakes in those 2 hours I've been there
Thanks!

Was it John's Salvage Company?
2020 Fox Trotter Rd, Seguin, TX 78155

I already have that one on my map.

yep that´s it, don´t know if John is still there, I heard rumors that the yard is sold & closed a while ago but hard to tell since John was more like the Ludolfs :-D no internet no electronics no nothing

If you go north from Dallas and head west from Oklahoma City you can see a big part of Route 66. The Cadillac Ranch is just past Amarillo TX, and then Tucamcari has the Route 66 museum, lots of vintage car attractions there.

real close to Kingman AZ, you might take a drive up to Oatman AZ, twisty mountain drive, old mining "ghost town", old time saloon, wlld west characters.. I thought the drive up there from Kingman was the best thing to do around there. but you know I'm a car guy too.

real close to Kingman AZ, you might take a drive up to Oatman AZ, twisty mountain drive, old mining "ghost town", old time saloon, wlld west characters.. I thought the drive up there from Kingman was the best thing to do around there. but you know I'm a car guy too.
Route 66 trip 277.jpg

Route 66 trip 281.jpg

your Road Trip looks really cool, don't forget to post pictures.

Last edited:
In Memphis of course there is Graceland, but I would also highly recommend Sun Studios too
20210719_112838.jpg

beautiful convrtible , I'd like to see more of it with the top down.
re. Oatman; what I meant was; the driving part of the drive to Oatman was the best part. Although I was driving some econo rental car (= auto trans) it was still fun. be careful, saw a rusty old wreck left at the bottom of the cliff.. and theres wild mules wandering Heeee Hawwww

Back