Carb Air Cleaner Rod - How to tighten?

Ghostultramarine

Reaction score
I’m not sure the technical name for the threaded rod that sticks up out of the carb, but it’s loose.

How do you tighten it?

Thank you, in advance!

A pair of pliers.
I did use a pair of pliers - I had to turn the rod counter-clockwise.

I'm not sure why it came loose and I'm sure not certain it will stay tight.

I had to use pliers to hold the rod at the top to loosen the wingnut to get the air cleaner off.

I'm thinking it's not supposed to be this way ...

If I remember correctly it's 1/4 x 20. Sounds like either it's the incorrect rod or bad threads.

Usually, the air cleaner stud is a normal "fit" in the carb air horn. Not "nailed down", but loose enough you can remove it with your fingers. Usually, enough "tight" that you can remove the air cleaner wingnut and the stud stays put, though. In some cases, enough "loose: that you can wiggle it when it's fully screwed-in. Yours sounds like it might be a bit toward the loose side of normal, though. As long as you can snug-down the wingnut, no problems.

Some people have used a long-shank bolt (and a flat washer under it) in place of that stud, so that a socket or strong fingers can be used to remove it. "Low profile" that way, if needed.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'd get a new stud and wingnut and make sure the wingnut spins easily. The studs are usually loose enough to remove by hand as said above. The wingnut should also thread off easily. Once it is tightened down you will have no problems, also as said above.

The wingnut has always turned very easily until last night.

The rod would not come out or tighten by turning it clockwise - but it was spinning freely; turning it counter-clockwise tightened it.

That can't be right, that way if you tighten the wing nut you'll loosen the rod.. I'd pull that carb for inspection, maybe the threads stripped in the base?

That can't be right, that way if you tighten the wing nut you'll loosen the rod.. I'd pull that carb for inspection, maybe the threads stripped in the base?

It may also be the wrong thread / pitch rod - replaced by some bubba in the past. . .

No, they are both right hand thread. Tightening the wing nut tightens the stud as well.

That’s what I was thinking (remove the carb for inspection).
Just remove the stud and look at that first. You aren't going to see anything more in the carb's stud hole that you won't see with it mounted on the car.

You could just have the wrong stud (too short, wrong thread etc.). A new piece of 1/4-20 threaded rod (cut to length) might be all you need.

Here is another way to tighten.
Put a thin cutting wheel in your Dremel grinder. Cut a very small slot in to the end of the rod, just big enough to get a thin blade screw driver in to it. Do not make it very deep so as to not weaken the end of the rod.
Use your screw driver just enough to place a good tension on the rod, without bending or disfiguring the rod.
This will allow you to tighten or loosen as you see fit, without any risk of damage to the carb, the wingnut, or the rod.
I have used this method for years, on a wide variety of carbs, with no damage or rude surprises.
Good luck.

Back