carburetor selection

moparblake

Reaction score
My '72 Fury wagon has a 440 with an "rv" cam in it and an edelbrock performer rpm intake on it. Im not really sure what direction to go with a carb. I was thinking a 750 cfm. Im sure I want electric choke and vacuum secondaries. The car will be summer daily driven. Eventually I would like to put some "go fast parts on" and make it a sleeper (I think that would be awesome with a wagon). The car came with a turbo, but I'm taking it off since it isn't plumbed yet, to get the car up and running and get the bugs out of it. Any thoughts or suggestions on what carb to choose. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks (The car was originally a 360/904 car from the factory according to the vin)

An after market Edelbrock would probably fit the bill for your application. What year is the motor and was this motor out of an RV since it has that cam? Would not think a turbo for this engine is a good idea unless you are going to do a lot of work on the engine. The RV engines were generally set up to deliver torque to push the big RV body around and not really set up to deliver a lot of top end power. If the engine is a '74 or later it will have a cast crank that probably should be replaced as part of any performance upgrade that involves a signiicfant increase in horse power.

Dave

Last edited:
The 440 came out of an imperial and is suppose to be a forged crank. The last guy put the rv cam in as an upgrade over stock.

I just ordered Edelbrock 1406 Carb and an RPM manifold for my 75 440.. I cant take the thermoquad any longer.. there are many other threads on here regarding Carb choices. Search and give a read.. good stuff

750 might be a little much for a stockish 440.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have recommendations on where to get the correct engine paint for my 75 440? Corporate blue I think they call it?
P.s.. i’ll be repainting the valve covers which have paint on them already, I’ll be stripping that down, and the brand new aluminum intake will be painted as well. Willie intake need to be primed before color? Thx

Chrysler Corporate Blue? Have you tried the Mopar Performance Restoration catalog? What is found "at the auto supply" will NOT match exactly as it is not licensed by Chrysler, which means it will be either lighter, darker, or whatever.

With time and age, the factory colors can face and become dull, so the new shiny paint can look a bit different from what's now on the motor, but if it comes from Chrysler, it should be the most correct color.

CBODY67

The 1406 I was told by Edelbrock is a 600 cfm. No? The stock Thermo is a 650. No?
Yes the 1406 is a 600 cfm and you’ll get better throttle response then with the 1411 which is 750 cfm.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have recommendations on where to get the correct engine paint for my 75 440? Corporate blue I think they call it?
P.s.. i’ll be repainting the valve covers which have paint on them already, I’ll be stripping that down, and the brand new aluminum intake will be painted as well. Willie intake need to be primed before color? Thx

Eastwood has it.

Chrysler Blue Engine Paint - Ceramic High Heat Coating

If you are looking for spray cans try ordering DE1631 Corporate Blue Chrysler paint.

I would think you can order it from O'reily's or Advance Auto Parts. You can order it online too.

Chrysler-Corporation-Blue-xlg.jpg

I would go with the Eddie 1406. More than enough for your low compression 440. Plug and play right out of the box. I have had a half dozen cars with them and never had to make an adjustment on the carb. There is a thin carb adapter plate that comes in the Eddie intake box. If not order a Eddie 2732 adapter.

Edelbrock adapter 2732

2732.jpg

You will need a linkage adapter too.

Google
q=carb+adapter+for+edelbrock+1406+carb&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS496US497&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOs4fquozaAhWQjVkKHYvLCTkQsxgIKA&biw=1191&bih=598#spd=2534826442289860169

?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZJ7BJv7Ww2ekwslnBLoxIM_kRQtj_dlXqxh4DlAbIShrJhmH4bQmXs5QOHMbBP5_nx4I48780&usqp=CAE.jpg

I would go with the Eddie 1406. More than enough for your low compression 440. Plug and play right out of the box. I have had a half dozen cars with them and never had to make an adjustment on the carb. There is a thin carb adapter plate that comes in the Eddie intake box. If not order a Eddie 2732 adapter.

Edelbrock adapter 2732

View attachment 176146

Google
q=carb+adapter+for+edelbrock+1406+carb&rlz=1C1TSNO_enUS496US497&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOs4fquozaAhWQjVkKHYvLCTkQsxgIKA&biw=1191&bih=598#spd=2534826442289860169

View attachment 176147
Thx Bob, it should all be here today according to FedEx tracking.. excited..

As an aside your local Chrysler Dealer can still get all the engine colour paints through the Mopar Performance Catalog. I have several cans of everything from HP Orange to Argent Silver Wheel paint. PM me for part numbers if you like.

The 440 came out of an imperial and is suppose to be a forged crank. The last guy put the rv cam in as an downgrade over stock.
Fixed

Napa has Chrysler corporate blue engine paint from Dupli Color, it's a good match if your not competing in a Concourse de eligance, @ Pebble Beach.

Edelbrock adapter 2732

View attachment 176146

Google

View attachment 176147
Thank you for the info, I'll look into. Hooeing to work on the car next week during my 7 off and have it closer to running and mobile.

The 440 came out of an imperial and is suppose to be a forged crank. The last guy put the rv cam in as an upgrade over stock.

There is a machined plate incorporated into the top of the block just to the right of the distributor. The engine size 440 and the year will be on this plate. Chrysler started the alpha-numeric marking system in 1965 and the alphabetic letter went up by one letter for each year this marking system was used. For example B-440 would indicate a 1966 engine, 440cid and so on. Usually there will be further markings such as HP1, HP2 and rarely HP3. These indicate which shift produced the engine. Many HP marked engines produced up till 1973 had forged steel cranks. Many 440 engines will also be date stamped as to the production date for the engine, 10-1-69 would indicate an engine made for the 1970 model year. Other markings on this pad were used to indicate undersized bearings, oversized pistons etc. These are coded symbols and are listed in the FSM.
Many 350hp 440 engines had a cast steel crank as opposed to a forged steel one. The quick ID for a forged steel crank is to look at the harmonic balancer and retrieve the part number. See www.440source.com/dampers.htm for which were used for which crankshaft. Both of these crankshafts, cast and forged, gave good service. If building an engine over 500hp, the forged steel shaft would be preferred. You can use this as a guide to determine which year your engine is and if it has a cast or forged shaft.

Dave

. If building an engine over 500hp, the forged steel shaft would be preferred.
If your shooting for this level you might as well buy a stroker kit. Aftermarket longer arm cranks are 4340 compared to 1053 stock forged and brand new 4340 rods and shorter pistons for a overall lighter rotating assembly. Win, win, win
My 2 cents anyway.

If your shooting for this level you might as well buy a stroker kit. Aftermarket longer arm cranks are 4340 compared to 1053 stock forged and brand new 4340 rods and shorter pistons for a overall lighter rotating assembly. Win, win, win
My 2 cents anyway.

That might be another good option for a high end build. The 4340 crank and rods are significantly stronger than those of a stock forged crank and have the added bonus of 7/16' high tensile cap screws. Stroker kits for 490 configuration run about $2700 to $2900 depending on the unit and also come with top quality forged pistons with the complete rotating assembly. (Titan Motors) Pistons are available for all of the common firing chamber CC sizes.

Dave

REMEMBER . . . all of that "quoted horsepower" ONLY happens at elevated rpm levels. NOT at 2000rpm, typically. What you feel when you floor the throttle is TORQUE, not horsepower, especially at lower rpms.

Stroker motors, typically, have lower rod rations than the stock motors did, so that means "more torque" and the added displacement (along with the need for increased intake and exhaust system FLOW) gets the top end horsepower.

Using some light-weight pistons AND piston pins are advantageous as that takes "rotating mass" out of the motor, but that also means a re-balanced crankshaft (which knife-edging the counterweights can help facilitate). Several entities sell "rotating assemblies" in this orientation so they are supposed to be "plug and play" in nature. In many cases, you can get something similar with stock engine sizes, rather than just "stroker" motors.

AND then, you've got to effectively and reliably get that power to the ground (NOT just with wider tires, but with suspension upgrades) for it to work . . . unless you just want to do giant smoky burnouts in the parking lots. These upgrades to use all of that potential power might somewhat compromise the street driving configuration and comfort. Have to have "the total system" for best performance, or blendings of each side as possible.

If all you want to do is bracket race, then finessing what you have can be just as much fun (lasting a little longer on each pass). Racing for "heads up" can be much more expensive, as there is typically no end to "getting there", which in this case might mean a move to something lighter than a C-body car. If "size matters", you money and judgment calls.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back