Carlisle 2021

Thank you very much for the suggestion. A nice road through the country is my preference. Shorter is also better, and taking PA-322 would shave 25 minutes and 35 miles (so about $9 at PA 93-octane gas prices). That'd be great!

For these reasons, I had initially thought of taking PA-322 -- till a look at the elevation maps suggested that level changes would be more numerous and steeper if taking PA-322 vs. if taking I-80 and then PA-15 along the river. That is why I ended up proposing the latter route. The following maps show the elevation changes. You can see that many of the state roads follow the ridges, which makes sense from a cost/ease-of-building perspective.

Regardless, I'll take your and @halifaxhops' local knowledge over the reading of any map, so if you two and @70bigblockdodge can comment on elevations that would be most welcome.

PA-322:
View attachment 466010

vs. I-80 & PA-15:
View attachment 466011
I think the differences in elevation changes would be about the same. I’ve driven to Williamsport on 15 and know there are some pretty steep hills there too. Personally, I’d never try to get to Carlisle via Williamsport. It’s way far out of the way. There’s only one significant hill between state college and Lewistown in 322 (probably no different than anything you’ll encounter on 15 from Williamsport). Even that hill on 322 isn’t very bad heading towards Carlisle (mostly downhill on the way to). It’s up to you, but knowing how many times I’ve made the trip, it’s a no brainer for me, 322 is the only way I’d go.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. A nice road through the country is my preference. Shorter is also better, and taking PA-322 would shave 25 minutes and 35 miles (so about $9 at PA 93-octane gas prices). That'd be great!

For these reasons, I had initially thought of taking PA-322 -- till a look at the elevation maps suggested that level changes would be more numerous and steeper if taking PA-322 vs. if taking I-80 and then PA-15 along the river. That is why I ended up proposing the latter route. The following maps show the elevation changes. You can see that many of the state roads follow the ridges, which makes sense from a cost/ease-of-building perspective.

Regardless, I'll take your and @halifaxhops' local knowledge over the reading of any map, so if you two and @70bigblockdodge can comment on elevations that would be most welcome.

PA-322:
View attachment 466010

vs. I-80 & PA-15:
View attachment 466011

I took a similar rt or possibly the same in 2005 afyer meeting the original owners of my convertible. I went through State College to Harrisburg on my way to Carlisle. What a beautiful drive that was, rivers, mountains, several steep elevation drops. Nice ride!

Cut throug Duncannon think it is 34 the way I go end up right at gate 3 through farm country. and gaster allso

32 min (20.6 miles)
via PA-34 S

Fastest route, the usual traffic

Duncannon
Pennsylvania 17020
Take Dellville Rd, Pine Hill Rd and PA-34 S to Conway St in Carlisle
36 min (20.5 mi)

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

maneuvers-2x.png

Turn left onto Conway St

PA-322:
View attachment 466010

vs. I-80 & PA-15:
View attachment 466011
I always get off of I-80 at exit 123 and run 322. I've never had a single issue with the car being able to handle it. There is one grade where downshifting will save your brakes. Last year with the trunk packed to the brim and a full hitch hauler on the back it was still not an issue. As they said it is also scenic.

@ayilar 322 and 80 sort of parallel each other, so they run up and down the same hills, which run north/south.
Rt. 34 is a nice drive, smooth, gentle curves, good for "spirited driving" until you end up behind the millennial soccer mom in the Rav 4.

Yes as far as I know, people will still be setting up their stuff though
You can walk anytime you want. In recent years I got there Wednesday night and started walking immediately Thursday morning . Others like Will get there earlier in the week.

Back