Carlisle 2021

Going to try again this year.
Booked the Townplace Suites Harrisburg West Mechanicsburg. Right by the Homewood suites and Hampton inn. And if you buy some big parts a Fastenall in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Going to try again this year.
Booked the Townplace Suites Harrisburg West Mechanicsburg. Right by the Homewood suites and Hampton inn.
What is your planned route? Would you join the Illinois (and Indiana/Michigan/Ohio) caravan to PA?

My dream plan would be to go upper route through Duluth,Mn to Mackinaw, Mi and then across Canada to Niagara and then down to PA. But likely borders may not cooperate. So would probably head towards IL and the Caravan route.

My dream plan would be to go upper route through Duluth,Mn to Mackinaw, Mi and then across Canada to Niagara and then down to PA. But likely borders may not cooperate. So would probably head towards IL and the Caravan route.
Marty, would be happy to have you join our caravan. Nothing looks better than a pack of vintage MOPAR cars in motion.

Warning!
I’ll be heading across the pike on Thursday.
D5714B03-4972-4DBB-ACA3-C9F163AB5029.jpeg

Marty, would be happy to have you join our caravan. Nothing looks better than a pack of vintage MOPAR cars in motion.
Thanks for the invite David, I would love to join the caravan. I am hoping the timing works out this year. Where is the likely meet up place and what day?

Thanks

I plan on joining the caravan. Will be my first time going to Carlisle.

Thanks for the invite David, I would love to join the caravan. I am hoping the timing works out this year. Where is the likely meet up place and what day?

Thanks
There isn't much set yet, but we should have it figured out soon. Still need to see who from Illinois is going, and then we'll go from there. And no, I'm not the ring leader!

There isn't much set yet, but we should have it figured out soon. Still need to see who from Illinois is going, and then we'll go from there. And no, I'm not the ring leader!
Do you normally depart from Illinois on Wednesday or Thursday morning?
What you are not in Charge? :D

Well I don’t know who’s in charge. If someone is (@sixpkrt or @david hill maybe?) then pls raise your hand. Here are my two cents:

1. Several of the cars coming from IL are in the Rockford/Chicago area. Doesn’t mean @HWYCRZR and @LocuMob (and hopefully others from WI and further west) have to drive through there, but it’d be nice!

2. To spare the engines/cooling/brakes, flatter is better. I would submit that a Northern route to Akron and then I-80 to Williamsport then PA-15 to Harrisburg would have the fewest elevation changes, but I am open to taking the PA turnpike through Pittsburgh despite the curves and hills. I’ve driven that route many many times in all weathers over the years, and I should be able to take a C and live. Whether a C likes it is another matter.

3. Making a sleepover partway from Chicago will allow us to relax and rest. Same for the cars. Last year I believe (I drove to Carlisle from elsewhere last year) it was in Lima, Ohio.

4. With this in mind, I’d prefer leaving the Chicago on Wednesday and arriving on Thursday afternoon or evening. That puts a safety cushion should anyone run into issues. But if others would prefer to be in Carlisle a day earlier, fine with me too.

5. Keep in mind that some folks going may not drive back West after Carlisle. I, for instance, may (not sure yet) head south afterwards for a vacation.

Last edited:
Just to give everyone a heads up, the Turnpike Commission raised their tolls, apparently because since Covid, they're not using ticket takers so they're expenses have gone down, why wouldn't you raise tolls??? Oh, apparently because it costs so much for a stamp??? The Northern route I-80 to I-15 will be less expensive for sure. I've got E-Z Pass so it's a 6% increase for me but I may still take I-80 to I-15. 45% increase for folks without E-Z Pass WTF????

PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE TOLL INCREASE: Rates go up

https://www.paturnpike.com/pdfs/tolls/tolls_2020/2020_Cash.pdf

upload_2021-4-10_2-13-43.png

I plan to be there this year, may as well, I already have the swap spaces

Get the EZ Pass transmitter.
Ohio discounts the toll by about 30% and around 50% in PA. Most toll states in the east have partnered with EZ Pass all the way through Florida.
Ohio is eliminating the tollbooths with low speed drive through plate readers and high speed EZPass lanes to eliminate cash transactions.

Well I don’t know who’s in charge. If someone is (@sixpkrt or @david hill maybe?) then pls raise your hand. Here are my two cents:

1. Several of the cars coming from IL are in the Rockford/Chicago area. Doesn’t mean @HWYCRZR and @LocuMob (and hopefully others from WI and further west) have to drive through there, but it’d be nice!

2. To spare the engines/cooling/brakes, flatter is better. I would submit that a Northern route to Akron and then I-80 to Williamsport then PA-15 to Harrisburg would have the fewest elevation changes, but I am open to taking the PA turnpike through Pittsburgh despite the curves and hills. I’ve driven that route many many times in all weathers over the years, and I should be able to take a C and live. Whether a C likes it is another matter.

3. Making a sleepover partway from Chicago will allow us to relax and rest. Same for the cars. Last year I believe (I drove to Carlisle from elsewhere last year) it was in Lima, Ohio.

4. With this in mind, I’d prefer leaving the Chicago on Wednesday and arriving on Thursday afternoon or evening. That puts a safety cushion should anyone run into issues. But if others would prefer to be in Carlisle a day earlier, fine with me too.

5. Keep in mind that some folks going may not drive back West after Carlisle. I, for instance, may (not sure yet) head south afterwards for a vacation.
Rockford is right on the way and is on the shortest route for me. As for the route from there. I am game for anything or any terrain. (Gravel isn’t my favorite. I punished this car enough on gravel in high school).

Get the EZ Pass transmitter.
Ohio discounts the toll by about 30% and around 50% in PA. Most toll states in the east have partnered with EZ Pass all the way through Florida.
Ohio is eliminating the tollbooths with low speed drive through plate readers and high speed EZPass lanes to eliminate cash transactions.
Although from what state? It seems that the state you purchase it from gives the best rates in that state and some states “in the network” that also has e-z pass charges the cash rate for out of state. It is difficult to find out which do and which don’t. I am considering getting a box (not sure what state yet) for Carlisle and a trip I will be taking to Virginia Beach in August with a trailer.

Or move out of the toll states .... I took the tags off the trucks, auto transports and trailered vehicles, bastards.

PA announced a few years ago they will have an annual rate increase until 2040. They almost have you over a barrel as you need to take the toll roads East /West or sit In traffic and elongate your trip by hours.

Although from what state? It seems that the state you purchase it from gives the best rates in that state and some states “in the network” that also has e-z pass charges the cash rate for out of state. It is difficult to find out which do and which don’t. I am considering getting a box (not sure what state yet) for Carlisle and a trip I will be taking to Virginia Beach in August with a trailer.

I got mine in Ohio at a Travel Plaza years ago. Just before PA jacked their rates sky high. The varying rate might explain the PA discount between 45% to 55%. If you drive anywhere around Orlando you need a transmitter. Check their website as more states join each year.
Between the discount and the pass through lanes it’s paid for it’s self many times.

Back