Carlisle, Pittsburgh, Orlando... my summer vacation

cantflip

Old Jagoff with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
I fooled around with the Carlisle website at work yesterday. I couldn't find the room I needed through them and didn't like the service fee concept at all. I went to expedia today and booked my room. I will be at the budget inn, which looks like a real crappy place, but has more stars than the knights inn. I knew not to expect too much this close, but I was afraid to commit until a few other details worked out.

The twins are great, I have neglected them horribly since their arrival between work schedules, other priorities and my inability to run nonstop anymore. I have some stuff to sort out on both, and I don't know yet which I will bring. I might not decide until the day I leave to be honest.

My plan, as of now, is to run the auto train from Orlando to DC. I figure it wont be too far off the cost of fuel and easier on the car and me (I haven't even tried a trip of more than 2-3 hours since my gut issues) I really don't know how well I will do with the road trip and I don't want to do myself in early on. I have a few stops I may make between DC and Carlisle to visit family.

After Carlisle, I plan to drive over to PGH to visit mom. My dad still has a house there, but IDK if he will be in town. He moved his main residence to AZ a couple years ago. I might be interested in checking out a PGH area cruise night, but I need to return to Orlando before the weekend so I can enjoy more work on Monday.

All plans are subject to change. I have no one else to accommodate on this trip, so it will be nice to do things spur of the moment... which I prefer.

I looked into it once and remember seeing the length restriction. I checked the website and didn't see any restrictions now... But I did a search and found 182" was mentioned a few other places as their restriction (which is about what I remember). It's possible that it doesn't matter now, but I would check.

First I heard you are not a 100% J sorry to hear. Hopefully you recover quickly my friend!

:thumbsup:

I looked into it once and remember seeing the length restriction. I checked the website and didn't see any restrictions now... But I did a search and found 182" was mentioned a few other places as their restriction (which is about what I remember). It's possible that it doesn't matter now, but I would check.
I would have to call in, but you are correct John. They can accept a stretch limo as long as the height and width aren't exceeded. I may have to pay extra. I haven't booked the train yet, I am extremely flexible on my travel plans. Thought I would see how this all works out. They also take car/trailer combos, but since neither Imp is equipped and I don't plan to change that... There can be only one.

First I heard you are not a 100% J sorry to hear. Hopefully you recover quickly my friend!

:thumbsup:

Thanks Doba and sporty. I have something called diverticulitis, basically a pocket in my colon. I had a couple infections, the first of which I was slow to respond to not knowing what it was. I have had the craziest pains from this, and the seated position of driving is the worst for me. I have been improving very slowly but steadily with diet. The alternative is losing a section of colon, so I will stick with what has been working. Over the past year I have gone from dreading the ride home from work to taking small 2-3 hour trips. I am allowing myself lots of travel time, so I believe I will be fine.

I figured the train was a new experience and would be close enough to a break even financially. It might save me some wear and tear at the start of my journey. It's an overnight trip from Sanford to DC.

Sorry Jeff that is a nasty problem left untreated. Had some experience in the family with it. Being able to move around and avoiding sitting in one spot for hours by taking the train makes sense. Get better soon buddy, eat lots of probiotic yogurt and stay away from cheese lol

Where in the Pittsburgh area will you be? City, North, East, West, South? Some of the weekly cruise-in's are in Wexford, Pittsburgh Mills Mall and several other places.

Where in the Pittsburgh area will you be? City, North, East, West, South? Some of the weekly cruise-in's are in Wexford, Pittsburgh Mills Mall and several other places.
Thanks for the reply shooter. It really doesn't matter to me very much, I will have the car and Mom is in the south hills, Dad in the north...
I am more interested in connecting with anyone from here than going to the cruise. Unless my step father gets an urge, he retired a while back and used to be over the car scene. If he wants to go I will work around him... nobody else is a car enthusiast. I don't think I will stay in PGH very long... so I will play it by ear.

Here's an excellent site that shows most of the car cruises.
Car Cruises Online - Cruise Listing
If you're still in town on Friday night, I usually try to make it to the Startlite cruise in Wexford.

Car Cruises Online - Cruise Listing They're featuring Camero's on the 27th but the feature has little impact on the makeup of cars at the cruise. They have a feature row but other than that, you'll usually see everything. If that's an option, I'll make sure I'm there. There may be other members who could meet you during the week at one of the other cruises.

The Mopar Collectors Guide gets a block of rooms at the Camp Hill Radison. We stayed there and it was a nice room at a good rate and they even hooked up a hose or two in the back lot so you can wash your car. It'd be worth a call. 717-763-7117

There can be only one

connor1.jpg

The Mopar Collectors Guide gets a block of rooms at the Camp Hill Radison. We stayed there and it was a nice room at a good rate and they even hooked up a hose or two in the back lot so you can wash your car. It'd be worth a call. 717-763-7117

Thanks for the heads up Matt... I checked it on the map, doesn't fit my desires this year. I will be less than 2 miles from the fairgrounds, and .5 miles from Hoss's. I refuse to drive if I have been drinking, and I wanted to keep the option open for a couple cold ones. I will eat steak at least once while there.

My back and neck injuries tend to flair up if I dehydrate, so I have become a lightweight and out of practice. In my old normal I would have 1 or 2 and go to water or pop (there ya go, regional dialect types), my new normal 2 beers may do me in... I can and should walk if I drink. I imagine the car is as secure at the fairgrounds as at the hotel. I won a DUI in 92 in south FL, any DUI charge would become a second offense in FL for me(75 year record). First offenses start at $10k these days... just not worth it for me.

I do intend to get a lay of the land while there. I can try for a better place next year after I develop a feel for what I like. My room was cheap, but close is why I went for it. Maybe after some of you decide how annoying you find me in person, I might team up for a carpool situation. Right now, I really like the idea of walking.

Here's an excellent site that shows most of the car cruises.
Car Cruises Online - Cruise Listing
If you're still in town on Friday night, I usually try to make it to the Startlite cruise in Wexford.

Car Cruises Online - Cruise Listing They're featuring Camero's on the 27th but the feature has little impact on the makeup of cars at the cruise. They have a feature row but other than that, you'll usually see everything. If that's an option, I'll make sure I'm there. There may be other members who could meet you during the week at one of the other cruises.

Thanks shooter, Great list. I have only locked in my room at Carlisle so far... I may rethink this trip in reverse and try to be there on the 8th... give me more time to meander around the area, too much time with the family, love em, they make me nuts though so a cruise every night works really good for me. I have a really nice B&B hotel halfway from PGH to Carlisle (near Huntindon) I may use as stop while working my way over there.

Give me a little time, I think that may be a better way for me to run my trip. Train ride home might be the ticket for after the event... I really just want to ride the train one time. I have 3 weeks off (2nd to 24th), but I have a few things to do before I go and I don't want to push myself through holiday traffic to get there on the fourth.

As long as you don't talk as much as you type we'll get along just fine...

I am at the Holiday Inn across from Hoss's ...we will bump into each other a bit

As long as you don't talk as much as you type we'll get along just fine...

I am at the Holiday Inn across from Hoss's ...we will bump into each other a bit
Look forward to it. I do get mouthy at times... but handle "shut the f#%k up" well too. Mostly I like to listen when the conversation can teach me something.

So as one who knows... how bad a place is the one I went for? Too close to change for a better close place, and I decided it was better than camping. I expect some disappointment.

I've never been to the one you're at. A lot of places along that route. Some are dumps, some arent.
For a dozen years we stayed at the same place Clarion/ Motel Carlisle. Over those years it declined horribly, so much that when they built the Holiday across from Hoss's we jumped on it at reservation time.
The parking lot at the motel Carlisle was huge enough to cruise through and everyone sat outside at night. They sit outside at most places but it's not the same everywhere. I've found the Holiday Inn has a lot of stuffy people staying there and haven't been to friendly.

Go into it knowing you're only sleeping there anything better will be a bonus.
What nights will you been staying in Carlisle?

Oh......we both probably talk about the same amount...not much room for anyone else.

Hopefully Jer gets there this year...... love his stories

I'm staying at the Comfort Inn at Mechanicsburg. I lik the little bit ofa drive away from Carlisle plus I'm far enough away that the restaurants aren't crowded at all.

Back