P7170148.JPG
P7170160.JPG
P7170161.JPG

P7170209.JPG
P7170212.JPG
P7170224.JPG
P7170225.JPG
P7170226.JPG

That's all the good ones... maybe someone will find something they need/want...

Isn't a Tech forgetting tools like a Priest forgetting his Bible??? Lol sorry :)
Yes...:BangHead: The issue was, I bought the plane ticket and parts car Sunday. 4am Monday at the airport. Landed in Indiana at 1pm ish. Filled out the required paperwork and such... left for Pittsburgh at 5-6pm Monday. Called mom to let her know I would be there Tuesday... spent the night near Zanesville Ohio. Arrived at mom's Tuesday, after finding the one local bar that would allow both a beer and a cigarette at the same time. Spent all day Wednesday with mom, step dad and sister except for an hour in the morning for the car's safety checkup, this included one of the most frightening rides of my life going shopping with mom... sister claimed illness, I think it was payback for living 1200 miles away(I was supposed to go to HF, but wussed out).:BangHead: Thursday I left Pittsburgh at first light, checked in at Carlisle motel and went to the show... went from the show to the motel, after circling a while, went back out and found dinner and a walmart for things I lacked (toothpaste...ect) and a $20 hydrulic jack to recheck a noisy brake (thanks to Will for his help, it was just an uncrimped pad). Friday and Saturday I spent at the show until way past my bedtime and after the street lights were on. Sunday I drove to Harrisburg, pick up the Uhaul and then another hour to the disc brake seller's home to load up. He sent me to the Junkyard... written directions were good... PA back roads were interesting (I later bumped up the TV linkage to the trans while replacing the broken cooler hose. Thanks again to Will.) with lots of fun hills and sharp blind corners. Oh and I had to turn around due to missing a turn 3 times on a narrow 2 lane with a trailer...

See what I mean... I wanted tools... I just never managed to buy any, then when I knew I really wanted tools... I didn't want to drive an hour.:BangHead: And you know there were crappy tools for sale in the swap.:BangHead:

Yes...:BangHead: The issue was, I bought the plane ticket and parts car Sunday. 4am Monday at the airport. Landed in Indiana at 1pm ish. Filled out the required paperwork and such... left for Pittsburgh at 5-6pm Monday. Called mom to let her know I would be there Tuesday... spent the night near Zanesville Ohio. Arrived at mom's Tuesday, after finding the one local bar that would allow both a beer and a cigarette at the same time. Spent all day Wednesday with mom, step dad and sister except for an hour in the morning for the car's safety checkup, this included one of the most frightening rides of my life going shopping with mom... sister claimed illness, I think it was payback for living 1200 miles away(I was supposed to go to HF, but wussed out).:BangHead: Thursday I left Pittsburgh at first light, checked in at Carlisle motel and went to the show... went from the show to the motel, after circling a while, went back out and found dinner and a walmart for things I lacked (toothpaste...ect) and a $20 hydrulic jack to recheck a noisy brake (thanks to Will for his help, it was just an uncrimped pad). Friday and Saturday I spent at the show until way past my bedtime and after the street lights were on. Sunday I drove to Harrisburg, pick up the Uhaul and then another hour to the disc brake seller's home to load up. He sent me to the Junkyard... written directions were good... PA back roads were interesting (I later bumped up the TV linkage to the trans while replacing the broken cooler hose. Thanks again to Will.) with lots of fun hills and sharp blind corners. Oh and I had to turn around due to missing a turn 3 times on a narrow 2 lane with a trailer...

See what I mean... I wanted tools... I just never managed to buy any, then when I knew I really wanted tools... I didn't want to drive an hour.:BangHead: And you know there were crappy tools for sale in the swap.:BangHead:

One of my stops in the vendor area is the tool trailer located near the food court. The stuff on the tables is a mix of cheap and good tools. The trailer itself is full of specialty tools at a good price.

Wow, great pictures!

Rant On

It does make me feel a little sad to see the last of these old yards. When I was a teen, nearly every town had an "auto wrecker" which everyone visited regularly for "parts" for their latest garage project. It was fun, everyone knew each other and barter was the first rule of acquisition. The yard owners were for the most part very friendly and knowledgeable. They would help you solve your problems and if they figured you were short of funds, they would trade parts for labor. I spent many a Saturday cleaning and sorting parts in exchange for '57 Ford parts. Anyway, today these yards are quickly becoming dinosaurs to be replaced by "Pick-n-pull" operations which flip wrecks through the "pull" stage to the crusher very quickly, typically within a couple weeks to a month. These operators are not really car guys, they are MBA types who live and die according to their spread sheets. The modern stuff is all plastic, fiberglass, aluminum and computers which don't even crush well. I understand a lot of "new" wrecks are shipped to China to be disassembled and recycled just liked our old computers and TV sets. I see this as writing on the fall predicting the end of our hobby.

Rant Off
:drama:

Wow, great pictures!

Rant On

It does make me feel a little sad to see the last of these old yards. When I was a teen, nearly every town had an "auto wrecker" which everyone visited regularly for "parts" for their latest garage project. It was fun, everyone knew each other and barter was the first rule of acquisition. The yard owners were for the most part very friendly and knowledgeable. They would help you solve your problems and if they figured you were short of funds, they would trade parts for labor. I spent many a Saturday cleaning and sorting parts in exchange for '57 Ford parts. Anyway, today these yards are quickly becoming dinosaurs to be replaced by "Pick-n-pull" operations which flip wrecks through the "pull" stage to the crusher very quickly, typically within a couple weeks to a month. These operators are not really car guys, they are MBA types who live and die according to their spread sheets. The modern stuff is all plastic, fiberglass, aluminum and computers which don't even crush well. I understand a lot of "new" wrecks are shipped to China to be disassembled and recycled just liked our old computers and TV sets. I see this as writing on the fall predicting the end of our hobby.

Rant Off
What $2800 for a 2005 5.7 Hemi with 121,000 sounds steep? I took that to mean F... Off we are not even pulling it off to the shredder.

Wow, great pictures!

Rant On

Rant Off
The yards with old cars went away many years ago around here. It's a combination of low demand, high scrap prices, high land prices, high property taxes, zoning laws etc. The "Mom and Pop" yards gave way to organized, fast turnover yards that cater to bodyshops and rebuilders.

There used to be a whole string of salvage yards over on the back side of McKees Rocks PA... Roads End for one... I can't even find them on a map anymore...

On the ride into Pittsburgh I stopped by a place in Washington PA with a minor internet presence... 70's Chrysler blew their mind and they called themselves a classic dealer (more like a warehouse with a small dismantling yard). I didn't try a few other I remember that don't have an internet presence... limited time for everything this trip.

It has been the most relaxing vacation I have had in a long time, thanks to everyone who was there (and here).

Last edited:
Back