Carlisle, Pittsburgh, Orlando... my summer vacation

Hotel off I83 in PA Sunday night... wanted more distance, just couldn't do it... no need to push myself.

P7180001.JPG

Rest area off I95 in VA just south of DC... I took a rest, the car got a rest... About this time I determined I didn't like the operating temperature when running A/C and the load of the trailer on the highway. Especially in the midday heat... so window down and A/C off...
P7180004.JPG
P7180006.JPG
Outside Fayetteville NC, about 10 miles from where I planned to spend the night. I put the camera away before I got to the accident scene... I didn't need to have or record that image or post it on the internet... besides, first responders deserve more respect as do victims... it was pretty gruesome, semi buried in the trees and burned to the frame... I hope the driver made it out, but it was very bad.
P7190008.JPG

A break in SC
P7190009.JPG

Stopped in GA at their welcome center... A/c off and drinking so much water and gatorade I needed the stop... Now this really disappointed me, though the nice lady at the welcome center was excited... I remember this rest area as being the cats *** when I came through here in the 90's when it was built just before the Olympic games... I thought then GA had gone all out and wanted to see how it had aged. My last driving trip to PA was at the end of the 90's and I was still impressed enough to "hold it" just to get to relieve myself here.

They claim the new one will be "bigger and better"...
P7190011.JPG

Palm trees and FL at last... the hood is up just to let her cool down a little faster... I was really glad to get off the road for a little while. My "close call" had happened a little while before in Jacksonville... I had found the NYB seemed to like 55-60 MPH temperature wise... I did push the speedo to 65 or so when she was a little cooler.

As soon as I passed the FL weigh station a flat bed semi with a really big U shaped concrete load that took a lane and a half came out in front of me... Watching him maneuver that thing I decided I didn't want to be too close, so I passed him. That moron was in a huge hurry to get to where ever he was going, no matter how fast I was he would eventually show back up somewhere behind me. Now my little Uhaul is too small for surge brakes and had enough weight in it I knew it was there, especailly when braking heavy... so I was trying to keep a good airgap in front of me and not get caught up in exit traffic. Jacksonville traffic was heavy in early rush 4PMish... I simply couldn't get away from that guy without becoming an idiot myself.

At one point in the middle of construction and a lot of interchanges we were both in the center lane, him behind me and traffic stopped. I had a good lead distance, flashed the brakes and stood on the pedal... that a#$#$ole made a huge amount of tire smoke and my back prepared itself for the wheel chair the next rearend collision is likely to bring. I was in luck, he missed me... but I never saw him again, I bet he hit someone in the right lane with that giant load he had sticking out. In retrospect I would have a few less grays if I had pulled off for fuel, but I knew the traffic wasn't going to get any better in Jacksonville if I waited around... If I knew he was going to be that aggressive, I could have simply held back and never gotten in front of him... I was amazed at how many times he caught back up in all that traffic.

This is a great "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" report to turn in when you go back to school next month.
Spelling will count for 25% of your grade.
whistle.gif

Here are my Carlisle "winnings" between the stuff included in the sale of the NYB, the stuff I found in the swap and the junkyard and the 2 sets of brakes I had posted back in December...
For Sale - 1974 imperial rear brakes 2 sets
I feel kinda like I did win a lottery of sorts...
P7210022.JPG
P7210026.JPG
P7210028.JPG
P7210031.JPG
P7210032.JPG

Mr C... I hope you like the plates I bought, I plan to make a hook bracket so I can clip them on whenever the cars are on display somewhere. I have duplicates for the front.

Sorry the cars are a bit dusty...
P7210033.JPG
P7210038.JPG

As you can see, I really don't have any more room inside. I will dismantle the new rears and store them in the bus. One rear is SG the other is open. I question if the brake stuff is too rusty... they sat indoors for the last 15 years, but they sat. I figured I was ahead on cores and patterns enough to be worth my investment.

In order to move the Imperials inside, I had a lot of cleaning up to do... lots of garage stuff moved to the bus (my new shed of sorts) which is a few miles away in storage, some more in the back yard (steel benches) while I try to figure out what I will do next. I really don't want to buy a new shed right now... but I think I may need to.

I also had to install this new/used door into my laundry room to keep the little lady happy. She has trained her darn cats to attack as soon as anyone comes home (especially her) and she won't kick them in the head when she uses the front door... so then its a "find kitty" mission for the next hour.
P7210041.JPG

Upon finishing we had a stern discussion about nothing gets put on a car, nothing gets bumped into a car... if in doubt you know how I feel about the cars?

"Yes" she said "you love the cars more."

"Exactly!"

She laughed a little... we're good.

Everyone greeted me warmly when I got home...

And now some kitty pics...

This is Wussie and his favorite spot next to the exercise equipment... obviously he doesn't exercise much himself...
P7210015.JPG

Apparently I disturbed an important nap...
P7210014.JPG

This is Evil... and her favorite football...
P7210021.JPG

You can see by the look on her face... she is planning something bad.
P7210016.JPG

They are ridiculously affectionate and like to be held a lot... weird because they were feral kittens from a colony the wife feeds at the condo...

They can be trained, the wife can't... so scratching the leather furniture has become a way to gain attention. Next pets are Gold Fish.

You have a distributor machine.........
Yes... recent acquisition... it needs rewired due to insulation rot, but the guy I bought it from used to use it to set up dual points for drag racing about a decade ago... $50 project I will get around to... someday.

I hate cats
Been telling the missus "I bet they taste just like chicken" for a while now... but I'm very attached to them. I just wish they hadn't ruined all my nice furniture... 2 leather sofas, 3 leather bar stools and a lot of wood work... they were supposed to be declawed, and the vet's assistant talked her out of it... Damage done... but before I put anything new into the house, they need to reach their expiration date. The way they've been fed, I imagine obesity will take over at some point.

Cats are smart... they train people very well...

You need a garage for your garage my friend....
Someday... I will sell off the darn house and put the biggest steel building onto the biggest plot of land I can find/afford... It will be easier living too because I will, of course, be entirely single if I do it...

On I 95 and all you could find to backdrop your photo is a couple of Volvo's and a Freightliner. You better let Olivia have your camera next year.
P7190008.JPG

Back