Choke / WOT issue Carter AVS

That’s right the domed one is the way to go . Gonna order it from Dante’s parts . Thanks for that link . But still wondering why that part doesn’t show up in the fsm somewhere .

Hello knowledgeable gentlemans of this forum, hope I'm not robbing this thread from the original poster.

I have a similar question regarding the divorced choke/choke stove that goes on the manifold.

I have a #2806301 manifold was searching far and wide for a divorced choke settup.

Would I need the AVS choke settup with the "short rod"

Or I'm guessing the "long rod" version is for the AFB'S.

Sorry for the vagueness of the short/long rod.

the carburetor I'm running right now:
Carter 3856S AFB.

Looking forward to the responses.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

I suspect the choke thermostat needs to match the carb type, plus interface with the intake manifold mounting design. Seems like the auto choke heat pocket did not change significantly until the 1973 or 1974 model year?

Just a thought,
CBODY67

Hello knowledgeable gentlemans of this forum, hope I'm not robbing this thread from the original poster.

I have a similar question regarding the divorced choke/choke stove that goes on the manifold.

I have a #2806301 manifold was searching far and wide for a divorced choke settup.

Would I need the AVS choke settup with the "short rod"

Or I'm guessing the "long rod" version is for the AFB'S.

Sorry for the vagueness of the short/long rod.

the carburetor I'm running right now:
Carter 3856S AFB.

Looking forward to the responses.
Thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

Starting a parts wanted thread with your needs and information is the way to go here. Your request buried in a old thread won't get you too far.

Appreciate the replies gents, Cbody67, ToolManMike, 413, for giving me a road map on what to follow.

Was about to buy a NOS choke stove for about 210 USD, OUCH. Would have been quite a waste of money if if it did not fit the #2806301
68-69 manifold.

Here, thought I should update the thread with some pictures so someone can use as a referance to a specific setup.

There is a referance photo I used at the bottom of picture list.

There is one setup where the choke stove is connected to the manifold to the one with the Holley
"short rod"

The other setup is the one with the
"long rod"

In case someone runs into a similar choke/carb/manifold combo problem.

Manifold: 2806301.
Manifold casting years: 1968-1969
Carburetor: Carter 3856S AFB.
Carburetor date: B5 = 1965

Note: the linkages have been removed for cleaning, but you can see whether the Holley "short rod" choke may or may not go.

In my case the "long rod" choke setup may work upon further examination.

The finger pointing to the slot where the choke rod goes.

20220702_185937.jpg

20220702_185950.jpg

20220702_190320.jpg

20220702_190329.jpg

20220702_190348.jpg

20220702_190711.jpg

20220702_191904.jpg

20220702_194911.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-194102_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220702-225215_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
the secondary air valve should have some spring pressure holding it closed.
One of your pictures show the air valve is a little open.
The air valve is what keeps an AVS from going lean when the secondarys are opened.
there is an adjustment on the throttle side, loosen the screw and rotate the inner part to close it tighter.
The spec should be in the rebuild sheet
My $.02

the secondary air valve should have some spring pressure holding it closed.
One of your pictures show the air valve is a little open.
The air valve is what keeps an AVS from going lean when the secondarys are opened.
there is an adjustment on the throttle side, loosen the screw and rotate the inner part to close it tighter.
The spec should be in the rebuild sheet
My $.02
Yes sir! I believe the pics I have gathered from other posts on FCBO forum. Members mentioned the choke is out of whack on their AVS/AFB.

Back