Chrome pitting

FuryDan66

Reaction score
I've tried 0000 steel wool and nothing any suggestions?

20171228_113609.jpg

20171228_113605.jpg

I've tried 0000 steel wool and nothing any suggestions?

View attachment 158983

View attachment 158984
You'd have to remove the bumper and then find a large enough bin to submerge it, but I know Oxalic Acid bath can remove rust like that. I've done it on chrome BMX frames before. Whether you can get it perfect or not, I'm not sure, but it does work.

not much more you can do for it. if you have some larger spots naval jelly may help some.

There is nothing you can do to make the pitting disappear. I personally think if you clean them all up and then polish the chrome, it is less noticeable if the surround chrome is nice and shiny.

I have never been loyal to a chrome polish. I have never used the quick-glo product. It looks like you use the original in FuryDan66 situation and the fine on new chrome? I think I will have to try it out myself.

I have never been loyal to a chrome polish. I have never used the quick-glo product. It looks like you use the original in FuryDan66 situation and the fine on new chrome? I think I will have to try it out myself.

I believe so, Mike. They just came out with the fine and ultra fine not too long ago, but I have not used those. The original, however I have been using for years. They rate the original at 3500 grit and the fine at 5500 and ultra at 6500 IIRC.

IIRC - behr #63 deck and patio wash -

is O.A. you used to be able to buy OA crystals and make your own, but I dunno anymore.

+1 on doing BMX bike frames and other metal items. works like a champ. will not hurt stickers/decals, rubber parts, bearings, etc. I throw the whole assembeled bike into the bathtub and put the solution in the tub and let that soak a day or two.

warning - be ready to treat the item as soon as you remove it from the bath, or it will start rusting immediately.

on the last bike frame I did (79 roger de coster!) it was a nickel frame so I just wiped it down with oil or wd40 or whatever and good to go.

somewhere in this forum is a discussion on OA bath. and at bmxmuseum . com too.

. .. something something, be careful, wear eye protection, have a vent fan,, blah blah, something...

try not to die -

- saylor

I know it's expensive, but you may in the next couple of years want to just get them re-chromed. I had the same issue and tried everything except the bath and the dimples just got bigger so I ended up re-chroming.

I'll try some of the suggestion for sure. The other thought is have them powered coated chrome might be cheapest way to go and it looks like chrome also.

[QUOTE="FuryDan66, powered coated chrome might be cheapest way to go and it looks like chrome also.[/QUOTE]

NO ..... It dosent. Powder coat does not reflect.

Those "pits" are where the plating (nickle/chrome) is gone, so you can polish it forever and it isn't coming back. The only right fix is to have the bumpers re-chromed.

Back