Chrysler 300, 1966 ... engine cuts out at full throttle

thpa

Reaction score
I've come across a new issue, and maybe one of you can help?

I replaced one of my V-belts as it had snapped, and during the test drive, I noticed a slight pop and the engine suddenly shut off when I applied (almost) full throttle.

I was able to restart immediately afterward, and everything ran normally.

make sure all your battery cables and all other wires are correct and secure.

Was the engine warmed up or was it cold/cool? Lean pop and it died when you smacked the gas pedal.

If you slowly give it full throttle and it’s ok, but dies if you mash the gas quickly, it’s an issue with the accelerator pump circuit in the carb.

If you slowly give it full throttle and it’s ok, but dies if you mash the gas quickly, it’s an issue with the accelerator pump circuit in the carb.
And could also be an ignition system issue where the system can't fire the plugs under the suddenly-increased demands being placed on it. What hot base timing and dwell? Spark plug gap? Age of the condenser (which has suddenly seemed to become an issue with newer condensers, with NOS OLD condensers being better than new ones).

I didn't have much time, but when I slowly give gas, the engine doesn't stall.

However, I also noticed a slight squealing noise at higher RPMs... possibly the V-belts (which I recently replaced) might not be tightened enough. Could this also be related to a slipping V-belt?

Replace the fuel filter in your carb recently? Some of the new fuel filters come with rubber restrictors in the center. Works ok under light throttle but mash it and the engine starves out and dies. Pull that little restrictor out and your good to go.

Replace the fuel filter in your carb recently? Some of the new fuel filters come with rubber restrictors in the center. Works ok under light throttle but mash it and the engine starves out and dies. Pull that little restrictor out and your good to go.

No, only a piece of fuel line was replaced ... but that was about 300 kilometers (about 190 miles) ago.

However, I also noticed a slight squealing noise at higher RPMs... possibly the V-belts (which I recently replaced) might not be tightened enough. Could this also be related to a slipping V-belt?

Check the length of your fuel pump pushrod. It may be worn down and is no longer long enough to adequately operate the fuel pump - especially at full throttle. I recently replaced the pump pushrod in my '66 300 with this one:

Fuel Pump Pushrod - New-440 Source

This push rod was the only US-made push rod I could find.

I've come across a new issue, and maybe one of you can help?

I replaced one of my V-belts as it had snapped, and during the test drive, I noticed a slight pop and the engine suddenly shut off when I applied (almost) full throttle.

I was able to restart immediately afterward, and everything ran normally.

Did this just happen once? Or is it an ongoing issue?

And you never answered if the engine was cold or warmed to temperature as @413 asked.

It's very hard to diagnose problems without a little more information.

Sorry ... it is an ongoing issue and it happens in cold or warm condition.

Check the length of your fuel pump pushrod. It may be worn down and is no longer long enough to adequately operate the fuel pump - especially at full throttle. I recently replaced the pump pushrod in my '66 300 with this one:

Fuel Pump Pushrod - New-440 Source

This push rod was the only US-made push rod I could find.
Nope ... the pump pushrod seems to be fine. Doesn't look worn down.

Currently, I believe that I may have introduced some contamination into the carburetor when I replaced a piece of the fuel hose.

An old Mopar mechanic told me to hang the part one level higher and see what happens. Now it is in the first position.

I did it... it's better now (I think so anyway) but it's still not gone.

2023-09-11_15-48-07.png

Back