Cigar lighter sparks

darth_linux

Reaction score
66 Newport.

When pushing in cigar lighter, there is a spark from lighter to surrounding metal. Fuse does not blow, but element does not heat up.

Thinking it’s loose with bad ground. Can’t see anything in FSM on disassembly or repair.

Anyone with experience fixing theirs?

loose with bad ground
The lighter is held in place with a cylindrical "nut". It sounds like the nut needs to be tightened; which might be hard to get to. Older styles (like yours) don't have a ground wire terminal.
cigar_lighter.jpg

Pull out the center convenience drawer and feel behind it for the lighter "hot" wire. Slide it off of its ridged terminal. Then you can also feel the outer retainer for the lighter body, which screws onto the body and puts tension on the body to keep it in place. On the upper end of the retainer, there are some "high points" which are where everything grounds to the body. You can do all of this with your hands, no tools needed. The points on the retainer will dig into the metal of the drawer's main body to ensure a good connection there.

In the lighter body itself, look for "clean" contact points for the heating element to contact with. Might be some "opens" in the heating coil itself, but if it sparks, might need to check voltage there (which should be straight battery voltage). Used to be that the elements were replaceable by themselves, but that seemed to evolve into a replaceable knob assy. Of course, back when it was "cool" to smoke cigarettes and such.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67

Pull out the center convenience drawer and feel behind it for the lighter "hot" wire. Slide it off of its ridged terminal. Then you can also feel the outer retainer for the lighter body, which screws onto the body and puts tension on the body to keep it in place. On the upper end of the retainer, there are some "high points" which are where everything grounds to the body. You can do all of this with your hands, no tools needed. The points on the retainer will dig into the metal of the drawer's main body to ensure a good connection there.

In the lighter body itself, look for "clean" contact points for the heating element to contact with. Might be some "opens" in the heating coil itself, but if it sparks, might need to check voltage there (which should be straight battery voltage). Used to be that the elements were replaceable by themselves, but that seemed to evolve into a replaceable knob assy. Of course, back when it was "cool" to smoke cigarettes and such.

Hope this might help,
CBODY67
Thanks! I'm mostly looking to get this working so I can get one of those plugins that serves as a USB charger and as a mini-Radio Station that connects to my phone via bluetooth and allows me to stream from my phone to the cars radio. Pretty slick . . . haven't touched a cigarette in 40 years lol

Back