Classic Car insurance

Knebel

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need some input on classic car insurances, I have a hard time getting some quotes together.

Me and my wife have a 68 Plymouth fury III and it is currently insured with statefarm for somewhat $700 or 800/year on their lowes mileage and lowest coverage. We have driven the car maybe 5000miles in the last 3 years and its currently parked for the winter under a carport with a cover on (COULD be moved to the garage, however, for storage). We are looking to cut some costs and trying to find a classic car insurance for it since it is not our daily driver.

There is at least one hiccup we come across, we have one other daily driver and are two licensed people. We only used the one car really for all our daily stuff and always have only used the one. We are trying to cut some cost since my wife just lost her job and I was the stay at home dad, thats what we have done and I would drive her to work, then the kids to school ect. no need for another car just because we both are licensed!? When the weather is good, we take the fury out occassionally for some pleasure driving and doing trips with the kiddos. I am the only one really driving it. Im also looking for an Insurance with less restrictive pleasure driving where we can just enjoy the car (not just going to shows).

I would hate to have to sell it but wont really have an option if i cant figure that out, getting another daily driver in addition is out of the question at the moment. Anyone have any ideas? I have looked at "Classic Auto Insurance" which seemed reasonable but it wont let me do a quote because it wont take my date of birth even tho its the right format...what the heck right?

Where and how do you have your cars insured?

I've had good luck with Hagerty. Both Parade insurance and occasional use. The downside is if you only have 1 car for daily use and 2 drivers you will get rated on your classic same as your daily driver. I keep one of the kids cars insured in my name and theirs so it appears we have 2 daily use and 2 classics. I have a company car so like you 1 car 2 drivers technically. Parade insurance ran $150/yr for a $5000 car

Me and my wife use Erie Insurance which has some very good rates based on mileage, the daily driver was insured for about $58 per month and when she recently had an accident they paid out on the car in less than two weeks and we are also covered for up to $1000 dollars on extra medical expenses. The way they worked out market value was to look at the miles on the vehicle as well as condition and money spent on it, then looked at comparable cars on the market and what they sell for. The truck I drive costs me $14 per month since I only do about 2000 to 2500 miles a year on it. Worth looking into and asking them some questions I think.

Some really good answers here already, thank you! Its mainly that.... 14bucks a month is better than 60. I drive less than 2000miles a year and can prove that too. Maybe an insurance agent could bend that second car rule somehow, idk!? I just cant justify spending 60/mo on insurance and the car has been sitting for 2 months now and will probably be stored for another 2....

I have put so much into it, I really dont want to have to get rid of it . Thank you for all the info and Merry Christmas.

I have had Hagerty Insurance for years now on several different cars. It is purely on the stated value of the car. IIRC, $5000 is their minimum value they will insure.

I've had no issues with number of drivers in the house, just you do have to have a daily driver. I changed agents a few years ago and it happened that the new agent represented Hagerty also. I now have a local contact for changes etc. It might be worth checking around... I made a pretty good deal with these folks for my other cars and my home too.

I've never had to make a claim with them, so I have no first hand knowledge. I have been told by others that have made claims that there was no problems.

Not to poke you in the eye, but you're paying nearly twice as much for one classic as I pay for six plus the best auto club offer that Hagerty has.

All the Newps are valued at $7000 each with no mileage restrictions. My yearly cost is around $400-$450.

$125 of that is for the auto club. And it can be used for any car I have,(except any dually truck) even if it's not insured by Hagerty. I've used the service a half dozen times or so and never paid anything extra. Use it once for a tow with any kind of distance and it's paid for in my opinion.

Be sure to tell them that your Fury is not a daily driver and is "garage stored".

Your rate might be higher for a single car vs. multiples like me.

I figure they love a multiple car policy because the assumption is that most of the cars sit most of the time. Relatively low risk for them.

Hope the input helps.

John

I to use Hagerty for my five cars in value from $7000-$20,000. Costs me $300 per year total. The more cars the less the increase per car for me as the first two, and highest value, were $150 per year.

Can canadian residents get Hagerty insurance ?....looking at 3 vehicles due to hit the road next summer

I have continental western group. for 4 vehicles on the policy I paid $302 with an agreed upon value of $10000 each on 3 of them for the year in 2015

I have tlc. I pay 275/yeat and have 2 cars on the policy. I have the 68 insured for 18k and my 85 renault for 6k. Matter fact have accident with renault exactly 1 year ago (some idiot hit me) and they were awesome. Took care of everything . Highly recommend them. 1800 360 2277.no appraisal needed

Cool, thank you guys! Im not too concerded about their rates, I think everything will be cheaper than statefarm....

Im more concerned about the driving restrictions and the eligibility with only one daily driver and 2 licensed people. I still want to be able to hop in the car and take it for a drive without being restricted to just be able to go to shows or parades, thats not "enjoying the car" in my eyes lol.

I've had Hagerty since 1998, and have four vehicles insured with them. Have had as few as two and as many as seven with them at any given time. Suffered a total loss of three and a partial on two others in a 2003 tornado. They came out two days afterward and I had checks two days after that. They were terrific! Cost me $423 for four vehicles, valued from $6K to $20K. No complaints about Hagerty from me at all.

I enjoy my cars, whether it be just going out for a drive, a car club meeting or function, or something car-related. I don't do parades. And they don't get driven to work. We have four drivers and four vehicles that are on another policy with another company.

Any classic insurers I checked out here only have a restriction on driving to work. Any pleasure use is allowed provided you stay within the yearly mileage allowance stated in the policy. The show/parade restriction is usually a result of using antique/historic registration on the vehicle.

I have been with hagerty since 1996 I think, no restrictions on mileage, but cannot be used as DD. I have a guaranteed value of $8000 for the '69 300 and $23,500 for the '66 Coronet 500. The yearly premium for both is only $261. I think that is very reasonable. They are always in a garage, and that may be a requirement to get that rate, I can't remember exactly

I have had American collector insurance after a few years they lifted the mileage and driving restrictions.

I hace 3 vehicles insured with Hagerty, good people. The only real requirements are secure storage, not used as a DD and no trailer towing. which is a problem now that I have the vintage camper and tow with the Admiral.

I'm waiting for quotes now from a couple of collector car insurerers that will include the camper for stated value.

I have had American collector insurance after a few years they lifted the mileage and driving restrictions.

Had my Mustang and Cougar with them for many years. When I got the big Merc, in 2004, is when I used Hagerty. Then the F100 and Polara went to them. I switched the Mustang and Cougar over in 2010 when because American Collector made it difficult to raise my stated value. Both cars were at $10,000 and should have been $18,000-20,000 at the time. Hagerty said fine no problem,

NONE of the US classic car insurers will insure a car if it is to be used as a daily/work driver, or if it is stored in anything other than an enclosed garage or shop building. Carports, open-front pole barns, and patios do not count.

The thing I don't care for with Hagerty, is that you can do NO towing whatsoever! Which sucks, because my lowered Fargo pickup is what I was wanting to tow my soon-to-be-finished 1946 teardrop camper. I'll probably have to use the Dakota for that.

Back