Cleaning my crusty instrument panel (65-66)

darth_linux

Reaction score
Aside from completely removing the dash assembly, is there a way to remove these crusty chrome parts, and black parts, and clean them up individually?

B3ECAB85-7E36-47CB-82E6-027816F2677C.jpeg

The pitting is kind of normal, but you can use some good cleaner wax on the chrome areas to clean them up a bit. Plus on the satin black areas, too. Just be prepared to have "black" rags after waxing those parts as the paint is thinner and more porous than exterior-type acrylic enamel. Blacker-black areas and shinier chrome will look better, anyway. Don't rub too hard on those blacked-out areas.

Some of the newer syn wax products do not leave a tan residue as normal waxes do, so that can make them a good choice for instrument panel metal. Use them aftrer you get everything cleaned up, though, for a good longer-term look.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thank you.

I don't mind the bits of pitting here and there, but the grunge and green crustiness has to go! I like your tips about a cleaner/wax. What I'd really like to do is remove all of those trim pieces, repaint, scotch-brite, and reinstall. We'll see if I can get it all apart. I couldn't find anything in the FSM about the dash bits . . .

Might look in the Chrysler parts book for an exploded illustration.

Yes, it does come apart, but it will be a pain.

You will need to pull that modern radio, the ashtray drawer, the glove box liner the panel under the steering wheel. That will give you access to the headlight & wiper switches, radio, HVAC controls & the air conditioning ducts. (the ducts may not have to come out?)

The black and chrome trim is 3 large pieces plus the glove box door. Looking at some of these pics, I believe it attaches with those Phillips head screws from inside the dash. I pulled the woodgrain New Yorker trim without removing the dash, so it can be done, but it was 20 years ago, so I don't remember any more details. The aqua dash pics came from somewhere on the internet, but do a nice job of showing what's up in there.

apr 4 08 002.jpg
66chryslerdashright.jpg
66chryslerdashcenter.jpg
66chryslerdashmid-left.jpg
66chryslerdashleft.jpg

Well, after looking at those pictures, and I'm gonna answer my own question with a "no." Thanks all! What a nightmare to remove just those trim pieces. . . .

Can you imagine the last time that was cleaned? Decades?

Try some warm soapy water and a microfiber cloth. Wring it out so it’s not dripping and wipe some soap and water on the chrome and dash. Let is sit a few minutes and wipe it off, repeat a few times. Let the soap do the work, don’t go crazy runpbbing on it. Use a toothbrush for tight areas.

you will be amazed how much better it will look, because it isn’t that bad now.

Can you imagine the last time that was cleaned? Decades?

Try some warm soapy water and a microfiber cloth. Wring it out so it’s not dripping and wipe some soap and water on the chrome and dash. Let is sit a few minutes and wipe it off, repeat a few times. Let the soap do the work, don’t go crazy runpbbing on it. Use a toothbrush for tight areas.

you will be amazed how much better it will look, because it isn’t that bad now.
Yeah, I’m guessing at least two decades, since someone actually went through this car and cleaned it. I had everything out of the car except for the dash this last weekend so that’s all that’s left. I’m just gonna try the Dawn dish detergent and toothbrush route, as well as maybe some brasso or something just to get the grimy haze off of the Chrome.

Thank you!

Just do the warm soapy water a few times first, then see what it does.

Last edited:
Just do the warm soapy water a few times first, then see what it does.
I used some APC and a toothbrush to dissolve the grime. A microfiber towel and my steam cleaner nozzle blasted the remaining crud out of the cracks. Some detailer spray was the final touch, getting rid of any remaining haze and brought the chrome to a shine and the black paint back to a deep satin sheen. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
I used some APC and a toothbrush to dissolve the grime. A microfiber towel and my steam cleaner nozzle blasted the remaining crud out of the cracks. Some detailer spray was the final touch, getting rid of any remaining haze and brought the chrome to a shine and the black paint back to a deep satin sheen. Thanks everyone!
How about showing some "after" pics :poke:

I was surprised how well just scraping with the back of an exacto knife worked. I had some chrome ashtray inserts that looked beyond salvaging and had the bottoms rusted out out, The tops were 50% covered with rust and crud. I hit it with a couple cleaners and it got a little better. But what really surprised me was under the rust the chrome was still there. I know it doesnt make sense but try scraping with a credit card and go to a metal edge. If it works you will have some lines/scrapes that will come out mostly with a polish. These bottomless ashtrays are now good enough as backups.

Last edited:
Back