Clearance issues - What engine is in my 1970 300 Hurst? See pics.

All A12, 300-H cars have the same SPD..you need to look at the door sticker, Broadcast Sheet, and engine assembly date, and VIN (to cross reference with known Hurst VINS) to know the actual SPD. If you have your factory invoice or window sticker, I can tell you with in a week of actual SPD.

Wow guys, I didn't expect all this help. Thanks 3C for the pics! After reading your posts, I agree that car maybe went airborne or landed on rocks. Looks like a welded piece on front crossmember, doesn't it? Maybe entire frame got pushed up 1/2"? Does pitman arm or any steering component look bent to you? Rod looks level across so maybe pitman arm is OK? At 70mph, it drives pretty smooth with no noises. Steering has a little bit of play in it, but I think play is mostly coming from original steering gear box.

Is there a link which shows how to replace oil pan?

What if I take off, heat and bend the pitman and supporting link down 1/2"? Will that screw up my steering?

Thanks guys!

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0149.JPG

IMG_0153.JPG

The more I look at your pics 3C, it looks like my pitman arm is OK, but maybe my engine frame got bent and angle of steering box is wrong? Yikes! What do you think?

Tried to get the same angle at 3C's pic. Does Pitman arm looks OK? Maybe not? Is the power steering gear box supposed to be right up against the frame as in my pic?
Thanks for any help!

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

The only way you are going to tell for sure if your pitman arm is bent is to take it out and measure it. If the stub frame was bent I would think everything would be shifted and not just the center link and pitman. How are the motor mounts? Could the motor be sitting lower because the mounts are broken or rubber missing? IMHO, you need to remove the center link to replace the oil pan anyway, once apart you will see right away if anything is bent.

Looks like it's sitting right. I am really curious about what's going on here! I tried getting the same angles as your pictures, but it was sitting on the ground. I'll take some more. That stub frame has been extensively repaired. It's pretty hard to get the mounting location wrong for the steering gear, but maybe? The strange thing is how the center link seems flat, so there is something wrong on both sides.

I'm thinking this car has a weak stub frame from rust and related sag that someone tried fixing with patches...hard to tell from the pics.

Bottom line up front, it should not rub if it's the correct parts.

Anyone have a pic of the steering gear box similar to my pic? Should it be wedged in there and sit right on the frame? If not, then I think the problem is a bent subframe. If a bent frame then I'll try to rig it up the best I can, probably try a new pitman arm or even a custom made oil pan. It drives and steers fine but I'd just like more than 1/16" clearance. (Nothing upside down and I have newer engine mounts but those were good ideas). Thank guys.

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0145.JPG

Well, after getting $1200-$3,000 quotes to fix clearance issue, I decided to bend the oil pan up about 1/2" myself with a jack, a pipe and a big hammer (which was harder than I thought) and JB Weld the 1/16" hole No leaks...so far. Oil pan gasket isn't leaking either which I was pretty sure would happen but isn't. If it lasts a couple years (about 1,000 miles), I'll just keep doing that. However, if it doesn't last, I'll post the failure and try something else.

Thanks for all the help and replies.

IMG_0174.JPG

Anyone have a pic of the steering gear box similar to my pic? Should it be wedged in there and sit right on the frame? If not, then I think the problem is a bent subframe. If a bent frame then I'll try to rig it up the best I can, probably try a new pitman arm or even a custom made oil pan. It drives and steers fine but I'd just like more than 1/16" clearance. (Nothing upside down and I have newer engine mounts but those were good ideas). Thank guys.

View attachment 389839

View attachment 389840
I took a picture the other day and forgot all about posting it.

Here's mine. '70 300.

7ql4mkQ.jpg

Back