Cold Start Exhaust Residue??

well i depends what gear is in it? the 72 318's was smogged out they cut the compression while a 70 318 in a dart with 3.23 gears would get 20 MPGs but it made more horse too (235 veris 190 in 72) IN A 3800-4000# B BODY THE 66 318 GOT 15 + MPGs it has to due with & hp. putting a smog 318 in the older car was ok but rebuilding the factory motor would had been better . & how many miles r on it iit its 50k i bet it needs valve seals & if its close to 90-100k then its timing chain time put a double row one in u will never have to replace it . if u dont when it throws the chain & it will then it will bend every valve in the motor costing u way more . how mechanical inclined r u ? can u tear the motor down & rebuild it?
i u decide to rebuilt it shave te heads or put in 9-1 pistions& put a 340 mp cam in it here r pages from the old mopar performance racing catalog many of the psrt # have been changed & some of the cams have been droped but the specs r still good

6.jpg

small block 1.jpg

small block 2 a.jpg

small block 2.jpg

small block 3.jpg

small block 4.jpg

small block 5.jpg

small block 7.jpg

small block 8.jpg

small block 9.jpg

well i depends what gear is in it? the 72 318's was smogged out they cut the compression while a 70 318 in a dart with 3.23 gears would get 20 MPGs but it made more horse too (235 veris 190 in 72) IN A 3800-4000# B BODY THE 66 318 GOT 15 + MPGs it has to due with & hp. putting a smog 318 in the older car was ok but rebuilding the factory motor would had been better . & how many miles r on it iit its 50k i bet it needs valve seals & if its close to 90-100k then its timing chain time put a double row one in u will never have to replace it . if u dont when it throws the chain & it will then it will bend every valve in the motor costing u way more . how mechanical inclined r u ? can u tear the motor down & rebuild it?
Unfortunately I don’t know the history of the engine but it starts good, runs like a top and doesn’t appear to be using any oil???

Unfortunately I don’t know the history of the engine but it starts good, runs like a top and doesn’t appear to be using any oil???
dose it puff any smoke on start up after it sets for a while even over night? have u had to put a water pump on it yet? if not when u do u may wat to check the timing chain for slop this was my 440 chain when it threw the chain the factory timing sets have aluminum cam gears with a nylon coating on the gear teeth . checking the cam gear & timing chain will save u a lot in the long run(U c in talking from experance . i had a 87 d-150 with a 318 spit out the can with 130k . i put a new water pump but never checked the hain well 100 mikes later it threw the chain

stripped cam gear  2.jpg

stripped cam gear 1.jpg

No smoke at all
ok good well watch it if i starts then it's time to replace the seals o do that yourself u will need a good air compressor to hold the valves up & a overhead valve spring compressor & maybe a magnetic pickup to catch the keepers so u dont lose them in the motor

My 65 with the 72 LA 318 engine is getting about 12 mpg on the highway at 55 mph, do you think should be getting better mileage?
12 mpg is to the low side of mpg for your car with a 318. I would have guessed 15-18 mpg highway.

Since it's a low compression 1972 318, I understand why you are looking at other engine options.

I just got done sorting this out on a Thermoquad... Shorten the choke pull off arm til the choke just has a crack at the top maybe a 1/8". You have to play with it, put the long end in a vise and bend it back at the 'elbow' but only a tiny bit at a time... < 1/16. It may take awhile til the condensation cleans things out so it's going to be a labor of love.... =)

Back