Collectible value

Wolfey912

Reaction score
My Sport Fury is in excellent condition even has original factory stickers. Came with a trove of manuals, receipts and documents. Numbers matching 318 and 727 torqeflite Tyranny. Mostly original paint. Question is I would like to update parts of the gutless drive train. How much would that hurt the value?

Kind of depends how well the transplant is done. Search "Butch's Hemi Fury" on this site or "1970 Plymouth Hemi Fury" on YouTube.

Welcome!
As others asked, whst year is your car?
Simple bolt on upgrades will make the car enjoyable and more reliable. For originality sake save the old parts should you sell down the road if the next owner wants to revert to factory original.
It wont hurt the car's value.
Common 318 upgrades are 4bbl intake and carb, dual exhaust, and electrical upgrades like electronic ignition, headlamp relay harness and ammeter bypass are excellent upgrades do not hurt the value.

again .. welcome.

I refrain from giving advice as all the factors relevant to your question arent known to me.

I can only toss on the pile my experience with "original" cars - not offered up as the gospel -- its just an opinion offered for your consideration imagining myself as the owner of your car.

. From what you describe about your Fury, if it were mine I would consider what @cbarge said. Dial it up with performance enhancements that will do the job but are NOT irrevocable.

. Keep the original "hard parts" you swapped out -- in case you sell it/wanna go back to "original" at a later date.

. The opportunity to preserve/increase value does NOT tend to deteriorate and could possibly improve if you go this route. Kinda best of both worlds .. you will get an improvement in "oomph' you are seeking while also keeping your "originality" options open (for yourself or a future owner).

BTW -- Let's see this beauty if you can post some pics of it as it is now?

again welcome

Last edited:
My Sport Fury is in excellent condition even has original factory stickers. Came with a trove of manuals, receipts and documents. Numbers matching 318 and 727 torqeflite Tyranny. Mostly original paint. Question is I would like to update parts of the gutless drive train. How much would that hurt the value?

Before I give you worthless advice because I don't have all of the info.....what does this mean: I would like to update parts of the gutless drive train.
What are you trying to acomplish?
What does the end result look like?
Please clarify which 'parts' you mean. Engine? Transmission? Rear end?

Before I give you worthless advice because I don't have all of the info.....what does this mean: I would like to update parts of the gutless drive train.
What are you trying to acomplish?
What does the end result look like?
Please clarify which 'parts' you mean. Engine? Transmission? Rear end?
Stock 318, 727 torqueflite 3.53 final ratio

Oh and 2 barrel
Sorry all, it is 1969 318 2bbl 727 torqueflite 3.53 final ratio

66.jpg

27.jpg

26.jpg

23.jpg

25.jpg

That is a beautiful car.

Did it really come originally with ta 3.53 rear axle ratio? I would rather have a slower car off the line with a lower numerical ratio than listen to the engine over rev at highway speeds and the excessive fuel use..................

So personally I would keep a car that nice as all original except I would change the rear axle ratio if it came that way - that wouldn't hurt the value IMO. If you slipped in a big block though, and did it nicely, I really don't think it would hurt the value all that much.

Does the interior look as nice as the exterior?

she's a looker.

I stand by my original opinion .. except I am even more in the "I wouldn't change anything camp ('cept maybe, though you'll get a slower-launching car absent any other changes, that gear ratio to something "friendlier" for higher speed cruising as was observed by @saforwardlook )" IF i owned it in this really nice, highly original condition.

Best of luck with it whatever you decide in the end @Wolfey912

Beautiful car but you didn't answer my question.

What do you want to accomplish?

How much would that hurt the value? There's no upside for you to make any changes to that car. In fact, on that car, any deviations from stock may hurt the value. If you want to make changes simply to make changes because you want to, go for it but don't consider what the changes will do to any resale value. You'll probably lower the value.

Last edited:
Just more power. In high school I had a four door fury iii with the same drive train and that is the only thing I hated about the car

If you were to do something along the lines of what @Tobias74 had done with his Fury my guess is you wouldn't hurt the value much BUT it would cost a fortune to replicate and I don't think you would recoup the investment in parts and labor. Just my opinion and I'm no expert unlike many other members here. Check out this thread

1970 Plymouth Fury gen3 Hemi

Just more power. In high school I had a four door fury iii with the same drive train and that is the only thing I hated about the car

So you did add the 3.53 to get more power or not??? I am not seeing a direct answer.

Not trying to be a dick but it's a 318 in a, very nice, C body. Again, what are your realistic expectations of performance and maintaining value? They are mutually exclusive in that car. Installing even a 4bbl offers minimal gains and lowers value. To maximize any additional carb flow you'd be looking at tweaking manifolds, and other ancially add ons.

If you want a really nice, desirable C body cruiser that others drool over, you have one. If you want 'performance' you'll need to look someplace else.

Nice car!

If that were mine, I'd keep it like it is. No matter what you do, it's never going to be a rocket with the 318. Since you are concerned with value, best to keep it as is, spend your time getting it running as well as possible. Play with the timing a little bit etc. That will probably bring you the best bang for the buck.

About that rear end... It's either a 3.23 or a 3.55. You got one digit wrong.

1648932870105.png

Back