Considering a 1966 Fury

jimmyessbee

Reaction score
I just came back from crawling around a 1966 Sport Fury.
VIN.jpg
I'm considering purchase but am currently trying to decide what I ought to offer for it. Drivetrain appears to be original. 383 and an AFB. Torqueflite. Console shifter. V8 commando emblems on the side and a 383 hood ornament. It starts and runs even in the 20 degree ND weather. It is sitting in an apartment garage.

Underhood, everything appears as it should. On the interior, somebody replaced the headliner and seat covers with some weird crushed velvet stuff. It's in decent condition, but not what I like. The dashpad is covered in the crushed velvet as well. AM/FM Cassette player in the radio hole.

It has been repainted. It appears to have been a deep blue when new, but it was repainted white. And it's crusty around the edges. We're in North Dakota, so rust is common. The quarters and fenders appear to be solid along with the flat piece of sheetmetal that runs below the doors facing the pavement. The floors appear to be mostly solid. The driver floor has some movement, but I couldn't poke a finger through it. Frame rails look good. Around the rear wheel wells and fender skirts, the white paint is flaking off revealing some rust underneath. Looking at the VIN tag, you can see how the white paint flakes off and how that rust seems to be erupting. This is what the rear wheel openings look like. Also, where the rear roof pillars meet the rear deck, this is happening. On the passenger side, there's a hole about a fourth the size of a dime in this area. Around the windows, the paint is flaking like that. All chrome appears to be there and in good condition. The lock for the console and the trunk are missing.

I did take a picture of the fender tag, but I should have been wearing my glasses because my camera didn't do a very good job.

Thoughts? Realistically, what do you think something like this is worth?

I would look very closely at the body. From that picture of the rear wheel well it looks like there is a lot of bondo there. What does the rest of the car body look like? It appears they painted over the side trim.

I'd imagine you would find some serious holes when you start digging into that thing. Unless you have body and fabrication skills... I'd look for a rust free vehicle.

if this helps give ideas for current market value of a fixer uper here's one a person has had reposted on craigslist in phoenix(not as much of a rust issue area) for a while that appears to be in way better shape than that one based on pics and is a 440SF. I agree with everyone else, based on where the paint flaws are seen in the common areas to find rust on those cars.

1966 Plymouth sport Fury III 440 big block - auto parts - by owner -...

I do appreciate all of the input. I haven't really been in the old Chrysler game for a long time. The acquisition of a 64 Newport through a trade inspired me to do a more extensive search for more while I'm not sure why I need a collection. I'm not really interested in learning body work... Nor am I interested in the show car circuit. But I am interested in driving them and wrenching on them. I'll probably shoot a low offer and see where it goes.

Even if the body is shot, a good running pre smog big block and 727 should be worth something.
In addition, it does look like efforts were made to make it road worthy. All brake lines appear to be new. There is a newer alternator in place. My assumption is that whomever worked on it did so in a fashion that they wanted to drive it and look good doing so... but either didn't have the body-work skills, the sticktoitiveness, or simply weren't concerned with the long-term. That's why it does appeal more to me. Something I can drive without worrying about rock chips is my genre.

I do appreciate all of the input. I haven't really been in the old Chrysler game for a long time. The acquisition of a 64 Newport through a trade inspired me to do a more extensive search for more while I'm not sure why I need a collection. I'm not really interested in learning body work... Nor am I interested in the show car circuit. But I am interested in driving them and wrenching on them. I'll probably shoot a low offer and see where it goes.

Collector Car Market indicates that this car - even in #4 condition - is valued at $6250, plus a 15% premium for the 383 / 325 HP engine.

Current Value | 1966 PLYMOUTH SPORT FURY

Very surprising to me. . .

Collector Car Market indicates that this car - even in #4 condition - is valued at $6250, plus a 15% premium for the 383 / 325 HP engine.

I question that a little. I looked up my '64 Newport. They don't acknowledge the existence of the 361 AND they give a 10% DEDUCT for a 3 speed manual transmission. I've never seen a manual transmission in real-life in an early sixties Chrysler. If one had any type of manual, I've got to think that would push up the value. They do acknowledge that a 4-speed would push up the value... but only 6%. My perspective may be way skewed, but I know that I personally would pay significantly more than 6% more for one with a 4-speed and even for a three on the tree.

I question that a little. I looked up my '64 Newport. They don't acknowledge the existence of the 361 AND they give a 10% DEDUCT for a 3 speed manual transmission. I've never seen a manual transmission in real-life in an early sixties Chrysler. If one had any type of manual, I've got to think that would push up the value. They do acknowledge that a 4-speed would push up the value... but only 6%. My perspective may be way skewed, but I know that I personally would pay significantly more than 6% more for one with a 4-speed and even for a three on the tree.

Yes. I question the estimates too. However, those particular Plymouths are pretty popular. Also, CCM probably has a pretty small number of those cars in it's database. In any event, it appears this car is worth more than the standard FCBO offer price. . .

Yes. I question the estimates too. However, those particular Plymouths are pretty popular. Also, CCM probably has a pretty small number of those cars in it's database. In any event, it appears this car is worth more than the standard FCBO offer price. . .
I'm pretty sure my wife prefers the FCBO offer prices...

Those are crap evaluation sites, they rely on auction sales, so it's not real world numbers. A '66 Monaco 500 low value was $7500 a year ago, I paid $1150.

Had a three speed in a 65 SF, 383 when I was in college at UND and I had a friend with his 65 SF, 383, 4 speed. Walked all over him. He was in 4th when I was still in second. Took it to Fargo at the drag strip and it ran very strong; due to the 3 speed. Redoing a 65, 383, with an auto and would love to have put a 3 speed behind it but “I’m older now and a little wiser.”

Up in your neck of the woods last week. Shoveled 2 feet of snow and -7 without wind chill. In ND ya don’t have to use the windchill, it’s cold enough! I had forgotten how bad ND can get in the winter; com’on April!

With regard to your concern for rust, if you can see it on the doors and panel, it is just the tip of the problem. The 65 SF I am working on now looked solid with some minor “paint bubbles” in 3 places. After blasting, cut out 8 places and replaced sheet metal along with all floor and trunk panels. Car looked solid, bought it out of CO. and have had it 33 years. Had it in NE for 22 years and now in Phoenix 11 years. Rust caught me by surprise because I never drove it in the snow or the rain and when in NE, it hibernated in the winter. Good luck and stay warm.

Last edited:
Had a three speed in a 65 SF, 383 when I was in college at UND and I had a friend with his 65 SF, 383, 4 speed. Walked all over him. He was in 4th when I was still in second. Took it to Fargo at the drag strip and it ran very strong; due to the 3 speed. Redoing a 65, 383, with an auto and would love to have put a 3 speed behind it but “I’m older now and a little wiser.”

Up in your neck of the woods last week. Shoveled 2 feet of snow and -7 without wind chill. In ND ya don’t have to use the windchill, it’s cold enough! I had forgotten how bad ND can get in the winter; com’on April!

With regard to your concern for rust, if you can see it on the doors and panel, it is just the tip of the problem. The 65 SF I am working on now looked solid with some minor “paint bubbles” in 3 places. After blasting, cut out 8 places and replaced sheet metal along with all floor and trunk panels. Car looked solid, bought it out of CO. and have had it 33 years. Had it in NE for 22 years and now in Phoenix 11 years. Rust caught me by surprise because I never drove it in the snow or the rain and when in NE, it hibernated in the winter. Good luck and stay warm.
Eh. The cold isn't bad. Nobody appreciates a 50 degree day in March more than the guy just coming out of a 3 week sub zero stretch. My 50 degree day is way better than the Floridian's 50 degree day.

Back