Containership and Imp 70 Le Baron - my trip to and inside the USA

Had to buy a tire in Columbus Oh. at nats called around told them only wanted one cheap tire to get home changing sizes later guy gets back on phone starts telling me about I don't have correct size on my car blah, blah, I introduced him to the dial tone. Finally Firestone on 40 in Renoldsburg says no ploblem writes right on sheet left hand thread and makes the kid come ask me about them, kid looks at me like I'm crazy turn right to loosen but I still have all my studs on lugnuts.

Whenever I need tires, I load the wheels in my truck & take them to be mounted. No chance I'm letting anybody near any of my cars with an impact....

I don't trust anybody to take the wheels on and off my NYB. It seems they can't understand 85 ft/lbs either!

Tight is tight..... you really put a torque wrench on every lug

Absolutely.....every time.

It only takes few minutes. I was over tightening lug nuts way too much with uncalibrated arm strength.

Torque wrench on the lug nuts of every car and truck around here, yes even the big ones. I agree Ross I don't even let them change the tires on the rim at anywhere but my truck tire guy, I have a good spare in car now that I can get home on so that shouldn't have to happen again.

Tight is tight..... you really put a torque wrench on every lug

I do.....! I've used a torque wrench so much I can get within a couple in/lbs just by elbow clicks..... But I always use one anyways.
It takes a lot less time then changing a broken stud.

the wheel service was fine, they checked the left hand threatet wheel studs, only the hubscaps....

We drove about 3000 mls, and our trip stopped in big sky, Montana.
During the first 1000 mls the oil consumption was a little high (5 qts),
later it was much better (only qts a 1000 mls).

Driving the hw 2 caused another problem, no premiun fuel (only a hanful fuel station),
but thats another story.

the story goes on:

After we arrived at lake superior, we heard a loud noise from under the car.

First I thought I caught a small stone between the caliper and the brake rotors BUT:

we met a car mechanic at walmarkt near Minot and he found out, that the noise comes
from the CV joint (double cardan)- NO GREASE anymore (thats about a lifetime lubrication):rant:
he organized a car lift and with a driller we put a small hole into the CV-joint(where the ball is)
to grease it - and it worked fine
127.jpg133.jpg

Days before we visited the Whitefish Bay and took some pics...

073.jpg097.jpg

So we drove on highway 2 to the west. WI, ND and Montana.. a beautiful landscape.

2091.jpgIMG_0114.jpg

One problem was to find a NOT OVERBOOKED motel...
IMG_0140.jpg

127.jpg

133.jpg

073.jpg

097.jpg

2091.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Back