Containership and Imp 70 Le Baron - my trip to and inside the USA

Fury67

Reaction score
Just thought to post my trip from Austria to the USA with a containership (vessel)

008.jpg031.jpg

Straight8 2 stroke diesel engine with 49900 hp at 104 rpm and 150 tons heavy oil a day at full speed. (worn out main bearings - about 3 feet diameter)

081.jpg094.jpg

it took 8 days from germany to new York

008.jpg

031.jpg

081.jpg

094.jpg

Weeks ago I bought an 70 imperial Le Baron in bad condition to make a great service to get her ready for my trip.
A friend of mine lives and is living in Virginia (Hampton) and so we took greyhounds from New York to hampton.

Highway 75 up to the north, than highway 2 to montana, where a blown head gasket stopped my ride.

My girlfriend wasn`t amused, because a lot of problems during our trip.

184.jpg

176.jpgA0177.jpg

my girlfriend changing the spark plugs....
A0182.jpgB1006 (1).jpgB1006 (2).jpg

176.jpg

184.jpg

A0177.jpg

A0178.jpg

A0182.jpg

B1006 (1).jpg

B1006 (2).jpg

At the beginning I lost the last 3 feet of her exhaust system.

IMG_0008.jpgIMG_0009.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

One day later I had a flat tire at Saginaw, MI

037.jpg046.jpg

A few days later the fuel pump broke down. My girlfriend changed it...( i was not allowed to change :sad8:

065.jpg067.jpg068.jpg069.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

037.jpg

046.jpg

065.jpg

067.jpg

068.jpg

069.jpg

Good lord, is that car cursed?? I blew a head gasket in my 70' Imp I once owned also, about 60 mi from home. Not fun.

He'll of a trip! Thanks for sharing your experience with us. What were you doing in Saginaw?

That's the way to travel.....bring your favorite mechanic! LOL!

At the beginning I lost the last 3 feet of her exhaust system.

View attachment 17709View attachment 17710View attachment 17711

One day later I had a flat tire at Saginaw, MI

View attachment 17712View attachment 17713

A few days later the fuel pump broke down. My girlfriend changed it...( i was not allowed to change :sad8:

View attachment 17714View attachment 17715View attachment 17716View attachment 17717
She's a keeper don't let her go!!!!!! My wife might have started the trip but she would have drop that car like a bad habit and bought a new one.LOL!!!

Sorry to hear about your luck....but as I tell my wife "It's the things that go wrong that make for cool stories later on!"

And I agree...any one willing to get her hands dirty changing plugs, and fuel pumps on a 440 in an Imperial is a keeper!!

saginaw , I changed 4 tires, and we drove hw 75 up to north. I lost 2 hubcaps
in saginaw after I got new tires, sh#t happened.

But the story goes on...

saginaw , I changed 4 tires, and we drove hw 75 up to north. I lost 2 hubcaps
in saginaw after I got new tires, sh#t happened.

But the story goes on...

I never trust the tire shops with my wheelcovers, I remove them first and put them on myself when they are done.
I also make the counter person write "Left Hand Lugs On Left Side Of The Car" across the work order and tell them to tell the person working on the car. One place said they know and still broke one.

I never trust the tire shops with my wheelcovers, I remove them first and put them on myself when they are done.
I also make the counter person write "Left Hand Lugs On Left Side Of The Car" across the work order and tell them to tell the person working on the car. One place said they know and still broke one.
Did they charge you to repair it?

Did they charge you to repair it?

This was my 67 Barracuda with the factory long lugnuts that come through the whelcovers.

No but they didn't fix it either and they threw away the lug nut.
I was on the road, they couldn't find the studs localy.

So they damaged your car and still charged you full price....

Young and dumb,

15 years later (car was in storage for 12 of that) I do a full restoration on the car replacing all the lefts and buying a full set of NOS lug nuts.

It was minor, don't sweat the small stuff and it was a learning lesson.

Back