convertible fuselage header and dutchman panel removal

66l78rat

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Im gonna finish stripping the good parts from my 70 Fury III convertible. Is the convertible top header just bolted to rest of top frame? It looks like only 2 bolts on each side? The dutchman panel looks to be in good shape and I want to remove that because it seems to be a desirable piece to many.Should I remove(cut out) as a assembly(inner/outer sheetmetal)?

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

Remove the dutch panel as one piece, inner, outer and drip rails, and as much or the associated quarter panels. Header is supposed to be adjustable, but most times rusted solid. Why do you want to save just the header?

1711546429226.jpeg

I got stuck with a complete top frame before and couldnt give it away. Seems like the header usually has rust issues and the rest is good.Im wanting to finally getting rid of the car and cannibalize what I can then scrap it. I think I will remove all the metal like you did in one piece- thanks.

My top frame header is toast, but I have another frame on order. If you can separate the header and list it here someone may need it and it will be easier to ship.

The trim from the doors that wraps around the back, against the Dutchman panel should be saved too. It appears to never have had buttons screwed into it, which many do.

sorry, underside is pretty crusty!!
My apologies for not being clearer. I mean the plates that box in the forward leaf hanger bulkhead.

Factory torque box:
20210916_171829.jpg

Without torque box:
20210916_172434.jpg

I'd be interested in those added plates cutout at the factory seams so it can be welded into another car if it's in good solid condition.

Thanks!

The trim from the doors that wraps around the back, against the Dutchman panel should be saved too. It appears to never have had buttons screwed into it, which many do.
I removed the trim pieces and the dutchman is nice!! Could you tell me what the reinforcement rockers are?

67valiant- sorry too crusty, The top half of this car including entire interior survived well but lower half is toasty

I removed the trim pieces and the dutchman is nice!! Could you tell me what the reinforcement rockers are?

Convertibles have a heavy 3/8" or 1/2" thick steel L channel inside of the sheet metal rocker running the full length. It's there to strengthen the body being a unibody convertible. There's alot of structural integrity in a steel roof.

Convertibles have a heavy 3/8" or 1/2" thick steel L channel inside of the sheet metal rocker running the full length. It's there to strengthen the body being a unibody convertible. There's alot of structural integrity in a steel roof.

This is a Dart convertible rocker but same idea. The thick C-channel inside is convertible specific.

20240322_184802.jpg

learned something new!! Is it spot welded to outer rocker?

Removing this to be useful might prove tricky. It is all welded together at the pinch welds and on the ends. You can't just cut through (like the pictured example) that would render it useless (as well as ruining many saw blades). It would have to be removed from each end at the factory seems, dog leg to dog leg. If you have a torch you can cut it out easier, but you still need to keep it structurally intact.

This is a Dart convertible rocker but same idea. The thick C-channel inside is convertible specific.

View attachment 652849

Interesting, thanks for that photo. Many years ago a member of this site posted a similar shot, but of a C body and I seem to recall the channel being L shaped, I could be wrong. The C body channel is twice the thickness of the A body one, that much I'm sure of.

And I agree with Samplingman, removal may be tricky, I've never done it.

Back