Convertible top hold down

SA67NEWPORT

Reaction score
Hello,

I am prepping my 67 Newport for paint. When I removed the trim around the convertible top I discovered that the strip behind the trim that i believe is what holds the top to the body is mostly disintegrated. Are these pieces available anywhere? I will admit that although I did do a bit of searching I have not spent a ton of time looking. See Pics below. Thank you in advance for any help.

IMG_5603.JPG

IMG_5602.JPG

Yikes! I hope it’s not but maybe the piece you are referring to is called the top of your quarterpanel.

Hello,
No not the top of the quarter panel. this piece is over the canvas of the convertible top. Where it is still good it is held in place with Phillip's head screws. I have already replaced the entire area of the quarter panel that is over the tire. I have a donor car for Sheetmetal but its not a convertible

Believe it or not I have these and the trim too. I understand the corners are really hard to find but I only have 1 and it’s got some thin spots.
6922009E-E8C0-47B0-B9C3-B0823254846F.jpeg
96E213C6-B2A9-446D-99C6-4A27C5D58A18.jpeg

Is the corner you have for the left side? so far i know for sure i need that one. I will take the rest off this weekend and see how the right side looks. Would you sell these pieces?

I think they are called "retainers". 67/68 Chrysler should interchange. Perhaps other Mopars also. You might treat them with a good rust converter.

Is the corner you have for the left side? so far i know for sure i need that one. I will take the rest off this weekend and see how the right side looks. Would you sell these pieces?
Whatever you need. I’ll see if I can determine what corner I have.

I had to make one of mine from stock hat channeling. Got it at a local metal supply. It was cheap enough being just a few $$ at the time.

The trick is to fab one up so it works.
It's covered so if it doesn't look perfect it doesn't matter too much.
If I remember correctly, @TerryM had to make a piece or 2 up for his 65 Fury Pace Car.
The thread is lengthy and believe there are pics of him making some up.

1965 pace car restoration

The one corner I have is for the right side.

I spent ages looking for some without luck. I ended up making some out of some spare straight ones i had. I just notched and tig welded them. I made a cardboard template for the holes them tried to match on the one i cut up. Saved having to drill and weld up un aligned holes if that makes sense.

132304426_10221904022442064_4742092281286643055_n.jpg

133037884_10221904021802048_2903793233697229052_n.jpg

Hello All,
Its been awhile since I posted on this topic so i thought I would provide an update. Please see pics below. The car is painted, been put together and driven about 300 miles this summer with the top down. First mileage put on the car since 1989. Now its time for winter work. I just ordered a top and am back to figuring out what to do with this channel. I appreciate the feedback given me back in May and that gave me some ideas. When I get it figured out I will post an update. Matt, if you still have the strips in the pics above, I am interested in them or if anyone else has some they want to part with I'm interested since of course that's the easiest path. thanks for the help.
IMG_6291.jpg
unnamed.jpg
IMG_6291.jpg
IMG_6292.jpg

Back