Convertible top questions

D Cluley

Reaction score
I am getting closer to starting my top replacement project, and have run into a couple of questions. Hoping folks here have some answers. :)

First, my old top is pretty trashed, especially where the sail panels meet the quarter panel. I know there is a split in the top material along there, with the front part going straight down into the top well, and the rear part getting sandwiched between the quarter panel and the stainless trim. Measuring what's left on mine, it looks like the split was 6 7/8" back from the end of the stainless trim, but it has shrunk & cracked, so I'm not sure that's an exact measurement. Can someone with a good top measure to compare. I believe any '65-66 C body should be the same.
Sail panel split.jpg

I also have some questions about the flaps on the sail panel. On my old top, Flap A attached in behind the retainer for the weatherstrip behind the quarter window, so that makes sense. However the new top also has Flap B, which is attached where the second row of stitches are. My old top did not have a second flap, so I'm not sure what's up with that. If anyone has seen a top like this, does Flap B attach somewhere or is it just a 2nd layer to protect the top from rubbing on something? If so, where exactly does it go?

My old top also has a 2nd layer on the inside that reinforces where the front of the sail panel is attached inside the top well, but it did not have an extra bit at the top like Flap C. Again I'm hoping somebody has seen one like this, and can tell me what to do with that bit.

flaps 1.jpg
flaps 2.jpg
flaps 3.jpg
flaps 4.jpg

i'm not sure what you are describing, but the top should be sandwiched between the retainer and the body all of the way around from flap to flap. the only thing i can think of is that your well liner may be sandwiched in there too? i wouldn't count on the new top using the same measurements as the old one. your best bet may be to make the holes as you go. i'm not sure on the flaps, i haven't seen a double seam like that.

i'm not sure what you are describing, but the top should be sandwiched between the retainer and the body all of the way around from flap to flap. the only thing i can think of is that your well liner may be sandwiched in there too? i wouldn't count on the new top using the same measurements as the old one. your best bet may be to make the holes as you go. i'm not sure on the flaps, i haven't seen a double seam like that.
I think the fuselage convertibles are like your description, but on mine, the rear part of the sail panels and the window do not go down into the well at all, they are held down by retainers under that stainless trim that the boot snaps to.

Here is an A body thread that shows the same style
https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/top-slit-221-jpg.1715358756/

help with top installation.

Back