Coolant on the Passenger Floorboard - '65 Chrysler 300 Factory AC

Only rebuilt or NOS. NOS is stupid expensive and I don't trust a 55 year old part that's been rotting on a shelf.

Yeah, those valves in your 1965 model relied on rubber sealing rings so they are not so robust to long term storage or much in use miles either. That is why it is more likely to fail rather than the heater core.

I read the information that you supplied and I would lean towards the replacement of the stock valve with a ball valve and create a mechanism that operates the ball valve via the temperature setting at the heater controls on the dash. I also suspect that such a solution already exists.
I will cross this bridge when I need to, but in my opinion, the stock valve is excessively complicated and unnecessary.

I pulled it out today. It's being shipped off for a rebuild tomorrow.

Rex: I am living vicariously along with you on this leaking heater control valve. I am having the same problem with a wet floor on the passenger foot-well on my '66 convertible.

Where are you sending your valve to have it rebuilt? Rip

Thankfully mine was a broken cable and the heater valve was corroded open. Freed it up lubed it, and it will nearly will also be on full hot, cause that's the valves relaxed state...

My rebuilt valve arrived today as did my new gasket from Detroit Muscle Technologies. It looks pretty and shouldn't leak. I'll probably install it next weekend.

Heater Valve 1.jpg
Heater Valve 2.jpg

I am having a similar problem in my '65 Chrysler 300 factory AC car.

Found a drip from what looks like inside the vent/box wetting the passenger footwell.

Doesn't look like it's dripping down from above (from a connection outside the box) and feels damp inside those lower footwell heat vents. And it's dry on the other side of the firewall so doesn't seem like it's a bad connection dripping through from the other side.

Seem's like the heatcore has given up the ghost??

IMG_5161.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

I am having a similar problem in my '65 Chrysler 300 factory AC car.

Found a drip from what looks like inside the vent/box wetting the passenger footwell.

Doesn't look like it's dripping down from above (from a connection outside the box) and feels damp inside those lower footwell heat vents. And it's dry on the other side of the firewall so doesn't seem like it's a bad connection dripping through from the other side.

Seem's like the heatcore has given up the ghost??

View attachment 389251

View attachment 389252
Most likely the heater core - but there is another possibility albeit much less likely as there are hoses/clamps and o-rings used on several connections inside the heater box from the factory.
upload_2020-7-17_20-46-9.png

Most likely the heater core - but there is another possibility albeit much less likely as there are hoses/clamps and o-rings used on several connections inside the heater box from the factory.
Could be, but the whole things has to come out either way, I am assuming.

Just a better option to potentially rebuild it if thats the case (fingers crossed) vs full replacement.

Could be, but the whole things has to come out either way, I am assuming.

Just a better option to potentially rebuild it if thats the case (fingers crossed) vs full replacement.
I have changed the heater core without removing the whole box but I do not recommend doing it that way unless you're a true dyed-in-the-wool masochist.

Back