Cooling issue

polara383500

Reaction score
When driving car runs around 180degrees but after getting to where your going and shut the car off it percolates out the overflow tube onto the ground. How to fix this problem?

It will fix itself after a few trips. If its not overheating, which it doesn't sound like it, you probably put to much antifreeze in it. I run my 440 just covering the tubes. never pukes. Craig

You can do what my5thmopar said or you can add an overflow tank which will catch your overflow coolant and return it to the rad once it cools down. Ive got this setup on my 70 Newport. Works great!

In many cases, the top tank will only be about 1/2 full when everything is stabilized. Check it cold! Some might be a tad lower, but being too full when cold will lead to what you describe. If you add an overflow jug, mimic the location of the OEM units, hose position included, so fewer air pockets exist in the hose itself.

On cross-flow radiators with their side tanks, it's not uncommon to see the first three or so cores uncovered when the coolant level is "where it runs". Unless you have a coolant recovery system in place.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Most likely there is either too much coolant or a weak radiator cap. Pressure builds up in the cooling system because "Heat soak" occurs after the engine stops running, and things expand.

Back