Correct V belts 71 newport

Rockauto has one of the easiest sites on the planet. There's at least a couple dozen choices depending on whether it's a alternator, power steering, or ac belt with or with smog pump. I would stick with Gates or AC Delco or Dayco in that order. View attachment 459626
And the best part is then you start shopping the part number. Amazon prime has become a personal favorite with a few nickels of mine headed towards my charity of choice with each purchase. A day or two later and it's here.

Although... The latest stuff I ordered from RA beat the prices and shipped from a local warehouse so it was here in one day.

The correct belts, for the 71 Newport are: from my old 1976 Goodyear application book, are AC and alternator-13591X2 the (matched set), PS is 13425, and the fan and idler is 13361. And that is part of the problem-the 13 belts are no longer available, so you have to use the 15 prefix belts. Most all of these belts are cut from a slab or tube made of layers of fabric, cord, and rubber built on a steel or aluminum mandrel and then cured in a pressure vessel, much like a giant pressure cooker. The slab is built inside out, after cutting-the individual belts have to be turned inside out. Matched set belts are taken from the same slab and measured on a measure machine. The Mopar matched belts were matched with a 0.030 tolerance, where as most other belts were matched with a 0.060 tolerance.
Anyone ever have a belt roll over in the pulley? If your pulleys line up correctly, then the rolled over belt was a slab end belt. A lot of times the cut operator would let an end belt go that didn't have cord all the way through the belt. You would hold the belt up , and if it had any taper it should have been thrown away. I'll talk to cuda hunter and help him out. Anyone with belt questions-fire away.

@david hill swears by matched sets of Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elites, as does @cbarge. @polara71 likes the Restoration Fan belts, @Trace 300 Hurst has had good luck with NAPA belts and he has helpfully listed the part numbers here for his 1970 Hurst. @cuda hunter, I believe they are the same for 1971.

NAPA Premium XL Belt
#7590 AC belt (2);
#7425 PS;
#7360 Fan​

I have run the same issue for my 1970 TNT. David also swears by matched sets but, looking for a matched set online, I have been unable to find one. Continental claims that their "Matchmaker" technology ensures that "that every belt of the same length can be used as a matched set on those drives using multiple belts."

--> is that so?
--> if so, which of the following part numbers for Continental Elite V belts (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) would be correct for a 1970/1971 BB?

#15366 (36.5" belt); Summit also lists #15371 (36" belt)
#15450 (44.5" belt); Summit also lists #17411 (41" belt); both seem strange, as my car's belt should be 42.5:
#15595 (59" belt)​

Looking forward to replies!

There was a time when belts could be bought in "matched sets". They were usually banded together with a red plastic band that said "matched set" on them. My friend at NAPA told me a while ago that it just didn't happen anymore. The only person in the business here that can verify might be @cbarge .

From what I've read, the story is the belts are now made to correct length. I honestly don't believe it... I think it's more about not stocking as many belts.

My experiences on the last two sets is that one belt is noticeably looser on the dual pulleys. Both times. I have a belt squeal on startup sometimes (when battery is down a little and alternator is "catching up") and it drives me a little nuts (short drive) . I had hoped the one belt would stretch but no such luck.

The tension/deflection in my ALT/AC belts are perfectly "matched" so I either got lucky with my NAPAs, or it's because I totally replaced the original unaligned/warped alt bracket with outstanding, brand-new repro items from Hoffman's Winners Circle, including the complete fan idler bracket and pulley. With the new stuff, my belts track like laser beams, no flopping or squawking. Our old brackets may have seen a number of tossed belts over the years (or a gorilla mechanic), which often results in bent brackets when that underhood mayhem happens.

Hoffman's Winners Electrical System Related
1969-1972 440 big block engines with Air Conditioning
"1746RB-KIT" -
Alternator Mounting Kit - $199 Per Kit
Comes complete with alternator mounting triangle, formed adjusting strap, alternator mounting bolt with phosphate spacers, cast idler pulley spacer, idler pulley bracket with pulley, heater hose bracket, and all correct phosphate mounting hardware.

Here's a comparison of my fan idler. Old item on left, new Hoffman on the right. That's a lot of incorrect offset on the old idler, and in this pic you can't see the "twist" from front to back. Not good. Plus the old idler bearing has seen better days, feeling rough and a little loose. No pics of the old alt bracket, but it was bent down and also slightly twisted. I suspect a failed belt or two or three got to spinning around in there, getting caught between the pulleys and the intact belt, creating a LOT of force on the brackets. They're strong, but not designed for that sort of loading.

IMG_1552.JPG

Here you can (barely) see the Alt/AC misalignment. The nose of alternator is wee bit up and a wee bit to the left.
IMG_3304.JPG

But now with the new Hoffman stuff.....frickin' laser beams!
IMG_1387.JPG

Last edited:
71 newport custom 383 w/ a/c.
I want to replace all three belts and I was wondering if someone could direct me to the correct length, look and toothed V belts.
they r not listed by length they r listed in the book as a matched pair . have the store look them up
then if they r right they should give u 2 belts taped together

Back