Correct V belts 71 newport

cuda hunter

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
71 newport custom 383 w/ a/c.
I want to replace all three belts and I was wondering if someone could direct me to the correct length, look and toothed V belts.

Chrysker's OEM belts were not "toothed", either on the inside or outside, by observation. Look in the Gates online catalog or in www.rockauto.com for the lengths and widths. That'll get you close, but use the OEM Chrysler Parts Book for the correct production items.

CBODY67

Of all the Mopars I have and had, only Goodyear Gatorback belts fit properly into the groove without squealing.
Nowadays, same belts are named Continental.
BTW, the A/C belts are allowed to have a 1/4 inch deflection given their length.
Do not ovetighten them you can take out the compressor and or alternator bearings.
Hope this helps.

Look in the Gates online catalog or in www.rockauto.com for the lengths and widths. That'll get you close, but use the OEM Chrysler Parts Book for the correct production items.
CBODY67

I am not good at navigating these sites. I've tried each for about 15 minutes each and still couldn't find what I'm after. Even though on both sites I make the vehicle a chrysler newport 6.3 I get turbo belts and serpentine belts and an array of v belts. I'll have to spend a bunch more time after work to navigate those sites.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll try again.

Of all the Mopars I have and had, only Goodyear Gatorback belts fit properly into the groove without squealing.

I see summit racing has both these brands of belt.
When I figure out a length and model number I'll order one of these two brands.

It could well be that more modern manufacturing has decreased/eliminated the need to look for belts from the same batch? Although you CAN still look at the belt's ID markings to get two from the same batch, currently.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Ok, I think I am understanding the "matched" term now.
Since both belts attach to the same pulleys the belts need to be batched the same so the length is the same from the mold they come out of. Is that correct?
Different batch's may vary by 1/16" or so and that could make the tighter belt break prematurely. Interesting.

So, not being very tech savy, and not having a ton of time to sit and browse for hours on end I have had issue finding what I want on summit and rock auto.
I'll try the 'Quanta" website suggested by @polara71 mentioned.
Very curious to know what @lemondana knows and what information he can supply. Or she.

He worked in a belt manufacturing facility for a long time and could get custom belts made, matched sets, etc. He got me some years ago.

@david hill swears by matched sets of Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elites, as does @cbarge. @polara71 likes the Restoration Fan belts, @Trace 300 Hurst has had good luck with NAPA belts and he has helpfully listed the part numbers here for his 1970 Hurst. @cuda hunter, I believe they are the same for 1971.

NAPA Premium XL Belt
#7590 AC belt (2);
#7425 PS;
#7360 Fan​

You also need matched dual A/C belts.
No one that I know of sells matched sets anymore.
I have run the same issue for my 1970 TNT. David also swears by matched sets but, looking for a matched set online, I have been unable to find one. Continental claims that their "Matchmaker" technology ensures that "that every belt of the same length can be used as a matched set on those drives using multiple belts."

--> is that so?
--> if so, which of the following part numbers for Continental Elite V belts (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) would be correct for a 1970/1971 BB?

#15366 (36.5" belt); Summit also lists #15371 (36" belt)
#15450 (44.5" belt); Summit also lists #17411 (41" belt); both seem strange, as my car's belt should be 42.5:
#15595 (59" belt)​

Looking forward to replies!

@david hill swears by matched sets of Goodyear Gatorback/Continental Elites, as does @cbarge. @polara71 likes the Restoration Fan belts, @Trace 300 Hurst has had good luck with NAPA belts and he has helpfully listed the part numbers here for his 1970 Hurst. @cuda hunter, I believe they are the same for 1971.

NAPA Premium XL Belt
#7590 AC belt (2);
#7425 PS;
#7360 Fan​

I have run the same issue for my 1970 TNT. David also swears by matched sets but, looking for a matched set online, I have been unable to find one. Continental claims that their "Matchmaker" technology ensures that "that every belt of the same length can be used as a matched set on those drives using multiple belts."

--> is that so?
--> if so, which of the following part numbers for Continental Elite V belts (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) would be correct for a 1970/1971 BB?

#15366 (36.5" belt); Summit also lists #15371 (36" belt)
#15450 (44.5" belt); Summit also lists #17411 (41" belt); both seem strange, as my car's belt should be 42.5:
#15595 (59" belt)​

Looking forward to replies!
There was a time when belts could be bought in "matched sets". They were usually banded together with a red plastic band that said "matched set" on them. My friend at NAPA told me a while ago that it just didn't happen anymore. The only person in the business here that can verify might be @cbarge .

From what I've read, the story is the belts are now made to correct length. I honestly don't believe it... I think it's more about not stocking as many belts.

My experiences on the last two sets is that one belt is noticeably looser on the dual pulleys. Both times. I have a belt squeal on startup sometimes (when battery is down a little and alternator is "catching up") and it drives me a little nuts (short drive) . I had hoped the one belt would stretch but no such luck.

Rockauto has one of the easiest sites on the planet. There's at least a couple dozen choices depending on whether it's a alternator, power steering, or ac belt with or with smog pump. I would stick with Gates or AC Delco or Dayco in that order.
upload_2021-5-15_12-52-14.png

Rockauto has one of the easiest sites on the planet. There's at least a couple dozen choices depending on whether it's a alternator, power steering, or ac belt with or with smog pump. I would stick with Gates or AC Delco or Dayco in that order. View attachment 459626
Thank you. I have ordered many parts from Rock Auto for my Mopars in the last several years. I bought Gates belts fro Medina and have been happy with them. In this case, however, I want Continental Elite and the RA site does not make it easy to check specs. That is why I am looking at alternatives, and am trying to confirm the part numbers.

And even though I am at work, I am following. And will purchase belts from somewhere. LemonDana did contact me via pm so maybe that will work out to the best. Gonna talk with him later after work.

Thank you. I have ordered many parts from Rock Auto for my Mopars in the last several years. I bought Gates belts fro Medina and have been happy with them. In this case, however, I want Continental Elite and the RA site does not make it easy to check specs. That is why I am looking at alternatives, and am trying to confirm the part numbers.
I see Continental listed there on RA. Click on "info" for specs and part number interchange. You can also do a part number search by using that tab on the upper left.

Back