Corvette ZR1 tid bit

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
DD1235B0-CC0E-418A-BBA3-C91C8431405D.jpeg
One of my dealership managers has been looking a ZR1 for about a year. He finally got one last week at an online auction in Florida. Had it shipped up. I stopped by today to check it out. The engine has been signed by someone. Thinking it may have been one of the ZR1 engineers. Can anyone offer any clues who this guy is.

@bluefury361

Will worked on it's developement and documentation. He da man on this one.

Dave Mellon joined General Motors Proving Ground Noise and Vibration Lab after graduating from Wayne State University with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. His assignments had him working on the dynamics of cars, trucks, military tanks, and then manager of the newly-completed Vehicle Dynamics Test Area (Black Lake).

Dave's career then took him to Chevrolet where he led the team that finished the 70 1/2 Camaro development, then to the GM Technical Center to manage John Delorean's unsuccessful attempt to marry the Camaro and the Corvette platforms. In 1973, he was picked to attend MIT as a Sloan Fellow. On his return he was assigned to work with Zora Arkus-Duntov and on Zora’s retirement at the end of 1974, Dave was appointed Corvette Chief Engineer. Dave would be indelibly linked with the Corvette for the next 17 plus years. The all-new 1984 Corvette continued to be developed with advanced electronics and culminated in the 405 hp ZR-1.

In what turned out to be his last development of the Corvette, Dave challenged an R&D team to design a next generation Corvette capable of ZR-1 performance, but at standard Corvette prices. Charged with the impossible task of making the Corvette faster, lighter, roomier and more rigid as a convertible, the team adopted the backbone architecture that would be the hallmark of the C5 and C6 Corvettes. Dave retired from General Motors in the fall of 1992.

His recent consultant activity includes: Intermap Technologies, Lockheed Martin, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Mosler Automotive, BAE, TACOM, ERIM, Rosen Motors, Tel Tech, Bose, Intermag Technologies, Technologies M4 and Porsche Engineering Services.

He is the author of a recent book, “Corvette from the Inside, the 50 Year Development History” which includes the 17 years during which he and his team made history.

Dave has a website where he podcasts about the Corvette and other subjects interesting to him. Visit: www.corvettechief.com

@bluefury361

Dave Mellon joined General Motors Proving Ground Noise and Vibration Lab after graduating from Wayne State University with a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering. His assignments had him working on the dynamics of cars, trucks, military tanks, and then manager of the newly-completed Vehicle Dynamics Test Area (Black Lake).

Dave's career then took him to Chevrolet where he led the team that finished the 70 1/2 Camaro development, then to the GM Technical Center to manage John Delorean's unsuccessful attempt to marry the Camaro and the Corvette platforms. In 1973, he was picked to attend MIT as a Sloan Fellow. On his return he was assigned to work with Zora Arkus-Duntov and on Zora’s retirement at the end of 1974, Dave was appointed Corvette Chief Engineer. Dave would be indelibly linked with the Corvette for the next 17 plus years. The all-new 1984 Corvette continued to be developed with advanced electronics and culminated in the 405 hp ZR-1.

In what turned out to be his last development of the Corvette, Dave challenged an R&D team to design a next generation Corvette capable of ZR-1 performance, but at standard Corvette prices. Charged with the impossible task of making the Corvette faster, lighter, roomier and more rigid as a convertible, the team adopted the backbone architecture that would be the hallmark of the C5 and C6 Corvettes. Dave retired from General Motors in the fall of 1992.

His recent consultant activity includes: Intermap Technologies, Lockheed Martin, Georgia Tech Research Institute, Mosler Automotive, BAE, TACOM, ERIM, Rosen Motors, Tel Tech, Bose, Intermag Technologies, Technologies M4 and Porsche Engineering Services.

He is the author of a recent book, “Corvette from the Inside, the 50 Year Development History” which includes the 17 years during which he and his team made history.

Dave has a website where he podcasts about the Corvette and other subjects interesting to him. Visit: www.corvettechief.com
Thank you Stan. I passed it on

I thought I heard that they are hand built, I know AMG engines are hand built and they are signed by the assembler. My guess is Corvette is doing the same.

The engines were built solely by Mercury Marine in OK. If an engine cratered, it could be returned to Mercury Marine for a complete rebuild, keeping the original "numbers" and such. If it needed replacement, I believe there was some official documentation of that fact for future owners. Normal Chevrolet/GM engine plants were NOT involved in the ZR-1 engine production, period. Quite a bit of additional steps to ensure the future collectability of a "numbers match" ZR-1.

The ZR-1s had TWO keys. One for the ignition and another one for a cylinder in the console, to allow the engine to produce full power. Not unlike what some of the earlier Hellcat Challengers had with different keyfobs.

Seems like "not just any" Chevrolet dealer could order a ZR-1? Certain criteria needed to be met, probably in the area of the service department's tools and training, I believe. We had a couple back then, at different times.

Thanks for the posting and links, commando1!

CBODY67

@bluefury361

Actually, it's Dave McKellan.

Engines were designed by Lotus. Tony Rudd to nail down the fellows name. He has quite a history behind him, including work on the slant six.

"It was fun" by Tony Rudd, Is his auto biography.

I owned every year - 1990-1995 -- of the C4 ZR-1. Met Dave many times. Magnificent machines for their era IMHO.

1993 ZR1 - 5.JPG
1993 ZR1 - 9.JPG
ZR1 - 6.jpg
ZR1 - 1.jpg
1993 ZR1 -15.JPG
ZR1 -12.jpg

ZR1 -18.jpg

Last edited:
He said he wanted me to drive it. We’ll see. I’ve driven a Viper & several Porsche’s. And several drag cars. If I get to drive it I’ll give you my 2 cents.

Last edited:
He sad he wanted me to drive it. We’ll see. I’ve driven a Viper & several Porsche’s. And several drag cars. If I get to drive it I’ll give you my 2 cents.
The performance of the ZR1 will disappoint you then.
Don't forget the ZR1 was introduced when performance of any car was at an all time miserable low. There are Kias that would keep up with it now.

But I would still kill to drive one....

The performance of the ZR1 will disappoint you then.
Don't forget the ZR1 was introduced when performance of any car was at an all time miserable low. There are Kias that would keep up with it now.

But I would still kill to drive one....
Haha, several years ago I had an 04 Rumble Bee 5.7 Hemi. I enjoyed picking on the C4 Vettes with it. Then one day a guy in a Kia SUV wanted some. STAY AWAY FROM KIA SUV’s I’ve learned

Haha, several years ago I had an 04 Rumble Bee 5.7 Hemi. I enjoyed picking on the C4 Vettes with it. Then one day a guy in a Kia SUV wanted some. STAY AWAY FROM KIA SUV’s I’ve learned
I had just bought my new '05 Vette and I thought I was the baddest *** around. One day a new Subie WRX Sti ate my lunch.
I remain forever humbled.

cannot emphasize that point enough.

When the "King of the Hill" showed up in 1990, sporting 375HP, and 200 MPH, 60 mph in first gear, etc., from a factory produced vehicle, it was like LeBron James the pro playing for his old HS team today.

I think the predessor C4 Vettes were 245-250HP late 80's, respectable top end then, but compared to the ZR-1 they were like go-karts to me.

Yup, they'd be embarrassed by later offerings from former econo-box manfacturers -- technology and performance march on ... but in their day, among their contemporaries... Whoa Nellie.

And yes, even today, a fun-to-drive car, still among the few cars that can do 200 mph in factory trim.

00-1-2-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
The engines were built solely by Mercury Marine in OK. If an engine cratered, it could be returned to Mercury Marine for a complete rebuild, keeping the original "numbers" and such. If it needed replacement, I believe there was some official documentation of that fact for future owners. Normal Chevrolet/GM engine plants were NOT involved in the ZR-1 engine production, period. Quite a bit of additional steps to ensure the future collectability of a "numbers match" ZR-1.

The ZR-1s had TWO keys. One for the ignition and another one for a cylinder in the console, to allow the engine to produce full power.

The LT5 engine, (the package was the ZR1), was supplied by Mercury Marine in OK City. I was involved in development of service procedures and establishing the FSM as early as 1987/88. The policy at that time was that, if replacement was needed, the entire engine was returned to GM and a replacement was supplied to the servicing dealer. Numbers matching for collectability was not a concern at the factory level.

The two position lockout, or "valet" switch allowed the car to be driven at a lessor power level. There was also an active suspension with three positions.

As for the "King of the Road". GM had to reframe from using the tern in advertising because Ford had rights to that. (Shelby Mustang 500 KR, or King of the Road).

The first 5 prototypes were badged "LT5" on the lower right rear fascia. There was a legal issue about that also and the production cars were badged "ZR1". I remember a GM "suit" coming into the tech lab and standing there while I removed the "LT5" badge from the two prototypes. I tried to stash them into my tool box but he insisted he take them with him.

Some pics. The original prototype Lotus built LT5 engine, (was mounted in a 86 coupe "feasibility" car), a yellow coupe
And a shot of a LT5 badge.

Scan_20150204.jpg
ZR1 pic 3.jpg
ZR1 pic 2.jpg
ZR1 pic 1.jpg

OK thanks Will.
I will forward all this stuff to him
I sent him some stuff this morning.
He’s like a kid with a new toy.

Back