Cracked Fuel Pump

77newyorker440

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
Recently my dad and I took the Chrysler out for a ride and noticed a wet spot both on top of and below the fuel pump. At first, we presumed it was the rubber around the filter so we replaced that, but we took it our again and it was still wet.
Then, much to my surprise, when the engine was revved, you could see the fuel spraying out of the top of the fuel pump! A new Carter pump is on the way, but I was wondering if any of you have seen this before. I would've though it was much more likely for the line to go before the pump itselft.
Thanks,
77newyorker440

Good Afternoon,
Recently my dad and I took the Chrysler out for a ride and noticed a wet spot both on top of and below the fuel pump. At first, we presumed it was the rubber around the filter so we replaced that, but we took it our again and it was still wet.
Then, much to my surprise, when the engine was revved, you could see the fuel spraying out of the top of the fuel pump! A new Carter pump is on the way, but I was wondering if any of you have seen this before. I would've though it was much more likely for the line to go before the pump itselft.
Thanks,
77newyorker440
Yes, same problem. New pump, problem solved.

Some of the Auto Bone and Car Crap pumps are made in China, enough said.

Dave

Some of the Auto Bone and Car Crap pumps are made in China, enough said.

Dave
Always amazes me how people bad mouth Chinese parts and products. Have made over 50 trips to China beginning in 1991 and visited well over that many companies (10 -20 on each trip). Their manufacturing processes and facilities in many cases are well ahead of ours with more modern equipment. Furthermore, over 70% of all new cars are assembled from parts from China including Japanese and European cars so you are essentially buying a Chinese car no matter what the make. Granted, you can get some crappy stuff from China but the same is true of our own country. Furthermore, what part of the "supply chain crisis" don't people understand; primarily product coming in from China not being manufactured or unable to dock! As you take your medications today and tonight, note that over 70% of that comes from China who gets a substantial part of that from India. Now that should scare the hell out of you if you don't like their car parts! Furthermore, as you sit down on your Chinese furniture after putting your dishes in your Chinese dishwasher, cooked on your Chinese stove with food take out of your Chinese refrigerator and you answer your Chinese cell phone, while watching your Chinese T.V. which is receiving your internet signal from your Chinese computer, linked to your Chinese router before you go sleep in your Chinese bed based upon what time it is on your Chinese clock, tell yourself that stuff coming in from China is crap! Wish is wasn't true but those are the facts of life!

273e068bd60b6c25d067338a40dcf356.jpg

Granted, you can get some crappy stuff from China but the same is true of our own country
The bigger problem is what morons are boxing the stuff. That is being done here. Wrong parts in the box, obviously defective or bent/damaged parts, no hardware when it is to be included, gaskets missing, all more aggravating than a crappy part.
These people that are individually boxing the dist. caps, fuel pumps, oil filters, from the big Chinese cardboard boxes out of the container are a companies last QA people before the retail customer. They are so shiftless and lazy I think they would think nothing of putting a broken in half part in the box and sending it.

Always amazes me how people bad mouth Chinese parts and products. Have made over 50 trips to China beginning in 1991 and visited well over that many companies (10 -20 on each trip). Their manufacturing processes and facilities in many cases are well ahead of ours with more modern equipment. Furthermore, over 70% of all new cars are assembled from parts from China including Japanese and European cars so you are essentially buying a Chinese car no matter what the make. Granted, you can get some crappy stuff from China but the same is true of our own country. Furthermore, what part of the "supply chain crisis" don't people understand; primarily product coming in from China not being manufactured or unable to dock! As you take your medications today and tonight, note that over 70% of that comes from China who gets a substantial part of that from India. Now that should scare the hell out of you if you don't like their car parts! Furthermore, as you sit down on your Chinese furniture after putting your dishes in your Chinese dishwasher, cooked on your Chinese stove with food take out of your Chinese refrigerator and you answer your Chinese cell phone, while watching your Chinese T.V. which is receiving your internet signal from your Chinese computer, linked to your Chinese router before you go sleep in your Chinese bed based upon what time it is on your Chinese clock, tell yourself that stuff coming in from China is crap! Wish is wasn't true but those are the facts of life!

The best manufacturing processes in the world are only as good as the quality control over them. Refrigerators with defective solenoids that start house fires, brake parts assembled with the cylinder cups in backwards, bleeder screws that were produced with worn tooling and do not seat properly. Baby formula and drugs contaminated with industrial waste. Automotive condensers that have a 40% defect rate new in the box. The equipment may well be first rate, but you get what you pay for using slave labor. Yes the supply chain is backed up and may well fall apart which will be the end of globalism. In my view, it was destined to happen anyway. As soon as the ChiComs invade Taiwan there will be either a trade embargo or a shooting war, neither of which bodes well for companies producing in China. Companies that still make stuff here are booming and that trend should continue.

On a side note, some genius in DC decided to fine shipping companies that have ships orbiting or parked off the West coast for more than a short period. Their way of solving the problem. To avoid the fine, shipping companies moved their ships off the coast of Mexico, photo op shows less ships backed up but did nothing to fix the problem.

Dave

Good Afternoon,
Thanks,
77newyorker440
No one mentioned it but I'm guessing your fuel pump was not a new one and that the diaphragm failed. These pumps are built with a small hole to the outside of the pump so when the diaphragm fails, it will squirt fuel out that hole instead of into the engine and oil. Pretty sure that hole is where the fuel was coming from but in the end you did get a new pump and hopefully no fuel pumped into the engine.

I do my best to avoid buying things made in China but it’s more based on principle then quality.

By observation, what comes out of China is what the corporate customer desires to pay for. OEM-quality items go to the OEMs and other (lower price) items go elsewhere. No different than Japan (before China) or in the USA in the 1960s. There were "cheap" USA brands as there were OEM+ quality brands, before the Orientals came into the picture. People bought what they felt they could afford and went on down the road. No different now than then. Except that many USA retailers now desire to buy the less expensive stuff (with an obvious higher warranty rate) and use their marketing muscle to sell it as "good stuff".

It's easy to say "Buy USA", but what about the many Canadian car parts companies of late? Where do THEY fit into things?

As to the workers putting parts in boxes . . . main thing is that they were effectively trained in what is what and WHAT looks like what. Whether it might be at the GM Parts Plant in Pontiac, MI or somebody else's similar operation somewhere else, OEM or otherwise.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

By observation, what comes out of China is what the corporate customer desires to pay for. OEM-quality items go to the OEMs and other (lower price) items go elsewhere. No different than Japan (before China) or in the USA in the 1960s. There were "cheap" USA brands as there were OEM+ quality brands, before the Orientals came into the picture. People bought what they felt they could afford and went on down the road. No different now than then. Except that many USA retailers now desire to buy the less expensive stuff (with an obvious higher warranty rate) and use their marketing muscle to sell it as "good stuff".

It's easy to say "Buy USA", but what about the many Canadian car parts companies of late? Where do THEY fit into things?

As to the workers putting parts in boxes . . . main thing is that they were effectively trained in what is what and WHAT looks like what. Whether it might be at the GM Parts Plant in Pontiac, MI or somebody else's similar operation somewhere else, OEM or otherwise.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Canadian parts are largely built to US standards with US quality control in place.

Dave

One of the things to understand is that most of what you buy is manufactured at one factory regardless of the name on the box. This could mean that the parts are boxed at the factory or actually shipped to the vendor where they box it. So you've got a few "opportunities for error" in the process. The parts could be mixed as they come off the line, mislabeled after the line in the warehouse, mislabeled at shipping, mixed at vendor receiving, mixed at their boxing etc.

Of course, it's been my experiences that usually stuff that is in the wrong box happens right at the parts counter. Switched parts for cheaper resale to "buddies" or switched parts in returns... or even just parts getting mixed up because there's a bunch of them on the counter.

I had a counter guy mix my left and right wiper blades back and forth (for my company car years ago) to make a point that "you can't tell the difference". The younger guy working with him asked "what's the difference?" And he removed them from the packages and started shuffling them back and forth. It was meant to "school" the younger guy, but I schooled him on not screwing with me by telling him that I now wanted sealed packages that he hadn't screwed with. I had asked the same question to a very knowledgeable friend in the business before and he explained the sides match the curvature and yes, they would work, but maybe not quite as well, so I knew more than this guy (probably about everything else in his life too). I explained the difference to the younger guy, basically turning my back on the guy with my blades. He sheepishly went and got more blades for me.... But you know the blades he switched (or didn't switch) got sold to someone else.

Good Afternoon,
Thanks,
77newyorker440

YES! I have the dead remains of a cracked fuel pump in my scrap metal barrel now. The lemon 383 that came in Gertrude had that on it when I bought the car. Just as the engine block itself would, this crack only showed up a couple weeks after first running that bad motor! But like yours, the fuel pump in fact split down the factory seam and started leaking.

Given some of the other egregious crap I've found on that car, like the rear leaf springs having a leaf removed to lower the damned rear end, for "cool" (rhymes with FOOL!) points + the inevitable air shocks, I now guess that a juvenile male-monkey of the military family which owed that car for near 40 years got its hands on some wrenches, and put its too large foot on the accelerator one weekend, cracking that otherwise beautifully maintained engine's block, and little things like the fuel pump too. I'll never KNOW, but the evidence sure suggests such....

Kind of like somebody from P.E.T.A. I saw on the news the other night. The man and woman were both wearing leather hiking boots. She had a leather purse or satchel and leather dress gloves. He had a leather belt. I rather doubt the cow gave up its hide willingly. Cheap parts may be made in China. The parts made in U.S.A. can be inferior, it depends. I try to stick to good brand names; Timken, Moog, T.R.W....IF YOU BUY A 7 DOLLAR UPPE BALL JOINT EXPECT 7 DOLLAR PERFORMANCE. Just inspect your parts as you purchase, understand the warranty, and choose accordingly.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I have worked quality control for a U.S.A. manufacturer. Many of the parts I inspected were for oem assembly from Mexico. Roughly 1/3 of the new electric motors would fail. Other inspectors would wiggle around so that a different section of the commutater would make contact with the brushes. The same motor would then work. The representative of the Mexican firm would consider the motor good..."after all it only has to work through 5he warranty period". I then went in depth on testing and proved a number of the failed units had defective windings. Being a contracted employee, well let's just say I was easily replaced. Neither manufacturer was really interested in the part being a quality assembly...just good enough.

No one mentioned it but I'm guessing your fuel pump was not a new one and that the diaphragm failed. These pumps are built with a small hole to the outside of the pump so when the diaphragm fails, it will squirt fuel out that hole instead of into the engine and oil. Pretty sure that hole is where the fuel was coming from but in the end you did get a new pump and hopefully no fuel pumped into the engine.

My thoughts exactly!

Back