Creamery Run (Leesburg, VA to Potomac, MD - Saturday Oct. 10, 2020 2:30-5PM)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Folks,

@Ripinator, @Imperialist67, @Michael McCoy, and I will be taking our C-bodies out for a run on October 10, 2020 (10102020) from Leesburg, VA to Lock 23 of the C&O Canal (in Seneca, MD -- just south of Darnestown). We will be driving through Point of Rocks and making stops at the Rocky Point Creamery and at the Sugar Loaf Mountain.

The weather for the proposed event day is supposed to be quite nice: mostly sunny with afternoon temps reaching 69F. I am therefore hopeful that @Analog Kid and @Imps Rule will both be able to join us, as well as @1978 NYB and @75LandYacht -- all of them have expressed interest in such an event. Paging all FCBO members of course, including local members @Newport Man and @Michael A. Corley and, from further away in VA, @1970FuryConv.

I have attached a map of our itinerary (Google link). In words:

@Michael A. Corley, @Imperialist67 and I will start the run at 2:30PM from the parking lot of the Frances Hazel Reid Elementary School at 800 N King St in Leesburg, VA 20176. After chatting a bit and taking a first batch of photos, we will head north on VA 15. We will cross the Potomac from Virginia into Maryland at Point of Rocks. We will then take MD 28 on our way to the Creamery in order to meet up with @Ripinator.

After indulging in frozen treats, we will get back on Rt 28 and drive to Dickerson, MD where we will make a left onto Mount Ephraim Road. Heading north on Mount Ephraim Rd, we will follow road signs to Sugarloaf Mountain for more photos at the West View Parking Lot. Note that donations of $5 to the organization running the park are expected from visitors: I will take some bills so we don't need to ask for change and thereby avoid at least some germs.

After leaving the Mountain, we will take W Harris Road to Barnesville, MD. W Harris is one-lane country road that ends at Barnesville Road, right in front of the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima. At the church, we will make a left and then immediately a right on MD 109 (Bealsville Road). We will stay on 109 till we cross MD 28, and turn left on the latter -- heading east toward Dawsonville, MD.
Note: If W Harris looks too narrow for comfort, an alternative is to take Mount Ephraim from the Mountain all the way to MD 28, and then take Route 28 to Dawsonville, MD. Same distance, (slightly) different experience.

Right before Dawsonville, we will turn right from Rt 28 onto Sugarland Road and drive on the latter till we hit River Road (MD 190). Turning left, we will briefly follow River Rd east to "Violette's Lock". This is our destination, and the end of the run.

After some more photos and banter at Lock 23, we will then split up our little caravan to return the cars to their home bases.

In total, we will be out for a about 1.5 hour of driving together (plus driving time to/from the run) and probably close to 2.5 hours in total. Folks who cannot do the whole run can easily join/leave at any of the 4 stopping points: Hazel Reid parking lot (2:30PM), Rocky Point Creamery (3 to 3:30PM), Sugar Loaf Mountain West View lot (around 3:50PM), and Lock 23 (4:30 to 5PM).

Look forward to it!

final itinerary posted.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the invite. Looks interesting. I'm in Berryville, about a half hour west of Leesburg. My 66 Fury has been down for a long time with carb issues with both rebuilt and remanufactured Stromberg 2bbl (currently have a remanufactured Stromberg on it, but still not right). If I can make it, I would be in a 67 Coronet, or 68 Barracuda, and would have friends tagging along in other old cars. Is it C body only, Mopar only, or open to any vintage cars?

The idea is to have fun with our C-bodies, but please bring whichever car you have -- I am sure that no one will object to a Coronet or a Barracuda :)

I don't know about non-Mopar products, because I don't know how strongly Mopar-oriented the other participants are. To my recollection, the topic has never popped up in the many times we have discussed/enjoyed our C-bodies together.

FWIW, I drove a bondo'ed 1968 Ford Ltd when I was as student and am not a great fan of the Blue Oval, but I really like many GM products (I am partial to Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs). Heresy, I know!

Bottom line, your call -- more is more fun, I say.

Last edited:
Sorry fella's. I'm still recovering and I might be going back to the hospital. I'm still battling low platelet count. Its called ITP.

Sorry fella's. I'm still recovering and I might be going back to the hospital. I'm still battling low platelet count. Its called ITP.

Very sorry to hear. We will post photos so you enjoy the run vicariously. Good luck with your recovery process!

The idea is to have fun with our C-bodies, but please bring whichever car you have -- I am sure that no one will object to a Coronet or a Barracuda :)

I don't know about non-Mopar products, because I don't know how strongly Mopar-oriented my friends are. The topic has never popped up in the years we have spent together. FWIW, I drove a bondo'ed 1968 Ford Ltd when I was as student and am not a great fan of the Blue Oval, but I really like many GM products (I am partial to Buicks, Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs). So, your call -- more is more fun, I say.

I ask, as one local buddy here in Berryville is having similar carb issues to mine with his 66 Coronet, so if he comes, he would probably be in his 60 Buick convertible (or a 72 Electra if its too cold for the top down on the 60), and another local buddy who has a 69 Dart convertible, is more likely to want to drive his Sunbeam Tiger on a run like this (officially its a Mopar despite the Ford engine since Chrysler built, sold, serviced, and provided warranties for Sunbeams).

I would love to see either/both of those Buicks, and IMO the Sunbeam would be great too.

Last edited:
I ask, as one local buddy here in Berryville is having similar carb issues to mine with his 66 Coronet, so if he comes, he would probably be in his 60 Buick convertible (or a 72 Electra if its too cold for the top down on the 60), and another local buddy who has a 69 Dart convertible, is more likely to want to drive his Sunbeam Tiger on a run like this (officially its a Mopar despite the Ford engine since Chrysler built, sold, serviced, and provided warranties for Sunbeams).

Mighty fine! The more - the merrier.

Sounds like a cool drive and a great photo op. The way Frankie has been acting recently though...I am not 100 faithful in her abilities. I will order a few recommended parts today and get them installed (all save for the gas tank). If I can get everything replaced and tested I am down for this certainly!

The latest weather forecast is for a lot of clouds but low likelihood of rain, and the temperature is up to 79F with very low humidity. Look forward to the run!

Sorry Fella's.. Im gonna have to pass on this one as well. Kids games and family STUFF. Keep the invite come'en though. Someday Ill be able to play.

I had been wondering what was on/up with this, and had missed that this was on a separate "thread." Anyhow - I'll plan to meet up with everyone in Leesburg tomorrow at 2:30. Need to stop by dad's house in Sterling, in the AM, and will proceed from there. Cloudy but not raining is my favorite kind of day. It would be fun to have a Sunbeam along for the ride as a "dingy" and yes, they WERE under the Pentastar umbrella starting in 1966. I learned this when a couple showed up at the NCPC show in 2018, I was skeptical at first, and then noticed they BOTH had pentastars on the passenger side fender!

see you all tomorrow.

So yesterday I washed the (non-C body) car in preparation for today's event. Then my buddy who rents a room from me came home from a doctor visit for what he thinks is a lingering sinus infection. Doctor is testing him for Covid and since he had complained of some chest congestion, his doctor says everyone in his household (me) needs to quarantine till the test results are in on Monday. Guess I'm not doing anything this weekend. Another buddy with a 69 Dart convertible was going to follow along as well, and now he's not going either since he's not part of FCBO and would feel out of place. Still, he liked the idea well enough though that he's piling his wife and daughter into the family minivan and will be making the drive to the creamery and Sugarloaf Mountain today anyway, but not nessesarily at the same time nor the same route. Hope to see another one of these drives planned thats close enough to the Berryville/Winchester/Leesburg area for me to join in. Thanks for the invite.
Looking forward to seeing the photos everyone else takes.

DSCN3961.JPG

Sorry fella's. I'm still recovering

Mighty fine! The more - the merrier.

Have fun....I did not get the parts ordered in time

Sorry Fella's.. Im gonna have to pass on this one as well. Kids games and family STUFF.

I'll plan to meet up with everyone in Leesburg tomorrow at 2:30.

(me) needs to quarantine till the test results are in on Monday. Guess I'm not doing anything this weekend. Another buddy with a 69 Dart convertible was going to follow along as well, and now he's not going either since he's not part of FCBO and would feel out of place. Still, he liked the idea well enough though that he's piling his wife and daughter into the family minivan and will be making the drive to the creamery and Sugarloaf Mountain today anyway, but not necessarily at the same time nor the same route.

Sorry to hear about the missing parts and, especially, the medical issues. Fingers crossed!

Looks like it is going to be @Imperialist67, @Ripinator and yours truly UNLESS @Jim 68cuda manages to convince his Dart buddy to not be shy. If Jim succeeds, then he should look for a gold 1967 4dr New Yorker and a red 1970 Polara at 2:30PM on parking lot of the Frances Hazel Reid Elementary School at 800 N King St in Leesburg, VA 20176. Or, he could look for those two cars and also Rip's 1973 Newport Navajo (dark orange metallic) at the Creamery and beyond.

The weather is cloudy but warm(ish) and the trees have started turning. We'll share the pics here.

Running about 10’ late. Sorry!

Back