Creamery Run (Leesburg, VA to Potomac, MD - Saturday Oct. 10, 2020 2:30-5PM)

Well, @Analog Kid made it, and @Ripinator and @Imperialist67 came all the way to the starting point in Leesburg, so we had four cars (three fusies and a slab; two Chryslers, a Plymouth, and a Dodge) the whole way. Getting into the school parking lot was easy, getting out was a bit harder as -- unbeknownst to us -- the supporters of one presidential candidate had organized a rally and their convoy was parked all the way from the lot to the exit onto BUS-15. They complimented our little caravan and cheered us on the way out, which is always nice and more than made up for the hassle exiting!

IMG_8187.JPG

Here is a photo of our four cars on BUS-15, waiting at the intersection with VA-15.

IMG_8189.JPG

On the way to Point of Rocks, while still on VA-15 a bit before crossing the Potomac, Poppy (my 1970 Polara 'vert) clocked her 34th thousand mile.

IMG_8222.JPG

Next stop was the Point of Rocks train station, to which Rip led us right after we'd gotten onto MD-28. The PoR MARC/Amtrak station is a beautiful building, the setting was great with beautiful fall colors, and of course we had four beautiful C-bodies :)

IMG_8247.JPG

IMG_8237 reduced.jpeg

Now then, time for an ice cream! At the creamery, I parked Poppy next to an AC Cobra replica. The photo does not convey just how much bigger the Dodge looked than its neighbor.

IMG_8255.JPG

@Analog Kid and Rip parked their '72 Fury iii and '73 Newport Navajo under a tree. The sun came out just in time for this one picture -- the rest of the day was cloudy, so I am glad that I caught the youngest cars in our group when bathed by a ray.

IMG_8258.JPG

Our hunger for frozen treats sated, we headed out to Sugarloaf Mountain. Here is Rip's Navajo leading the way again, amid the Maryland corn fields and with the Mountain looming in the distance. The sky was threatening, but the weather forecast was on target and we saw not a drop of rain.

IMG_5944.JPG

Once we reached the mountain, the entrance was packed and we mistakenly turned into a different road than the one we'd planned on. My bad -- by the time we were on the wrong NARROW road, there was not turning around. I will let others tell the tale, but :steering:

Suffice it to say that all four of us will remember piloting out barges on a one-lane road with lots of incoming traffic (I kid you not -- what were all those people doing there? I guess the same thing we were, i.e., enjoy a warm day out...). Here is a pic at the one and only point where, if I'd been quicker-witted, we might have turned around :rolleyes:

IMG_7937.JPG

After an interesting drive, we stopped for one last pause on a parking lot. When posting the photo below, I took the liberty to brighten the colors a bit so as to let the JK5 burnt orange paint of Rip's Newport light up the screen -- the car deserved better than the gloomy late-afternoon light we really had.

IMG_1291_mod.JPG

Last edited:
After our quartet split up, @Imperialist and I drove to Violette's Lock as it was on the way back for both of us. Here is one last photo from the trip, showing his 1967 NYer and my 1970 Polara at the lock entrance -- right off River Road in Seneca, MD.

Thanks a lot to those who joined for a great time. Weather permitting, I look forward to the next outing -- at Halloween maybe? I hope others can join us too!

IMG_6226_retouched_reduced.jpeg

Last edited:
Great photos! Sounds like a fun time (except for that one wrong turn). Glad to hear the rain held off. I went outside that day and the weather was perfect for a comfortable drive with the top down. Sorry I missed it. Had the car washed and ready to go. Left it outside for the weekend and now its been rained on and could use another wash.

After our quartet split up, @Imperialist and I drove to Violette's Lock as it was on the way back for both of us. Here is one last photo from the trip, showing his 1967 NYer and my 1970 Polara at the lock entrance -- right off River Road in Seneca, MD.

Thanks a lot to those who joined for a great time. Weather permitting, I look forward to the next outing -- at Halloween maybe? I hope others can join us too!

View attachment 408060

A great time was had by all - between the RED Polara, GOLD New Yorker, TAN Fury, and BRONZE Newport Navajo - we had an array of fall colors only rivaled by some trees. Enjoyed some memorable "near off-roading" around Sugarloaf mountain, where it should be noted that we maneuvered our C-bodies with far more accuracy than the twenty-somethings did with their SUV's........ Discovered an attractive little train station (a Baltimore & Ohio RR original!) at Point of Rocks, too. THANKS to ayilar for putting this together. I'm sure the last photo is worthy of at least a caption or two...….

Where is the damn group pic.............. !
A major requirement of any event.... grrrr..... :rolleyes:

Well, if you ask so nicely, how could I say no? here you go, all four cars next to one another...

94674214-81E6-40D7-A499-10E2D941350F.jpeg

BA40B259-2236-4475-9A43-3C762A8380AA.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah - people probably thought we were crazy driving on that road. I’m laughing about it now. It was definitely a memorable adventure.

Actually 3 of the 4 owners ARE with their cars in the first pic (no one by the Dodge as its owner was doing the photo), we're just not standing there together.

Back