Cruise Control hook-up!

banjoman

Reaction score
I am installing an early 80's Mopar cruise control on my 1969 New Yorker. I am using a Edelbrock carb with the Chrysler linkage adaptor kit. I am not sure I can figure out how exactly the cruise control linkage fits onto the carb. :confused: Does anyone on this forum have cruise control on their car? Can someone send me a picture or a "link" to show me how this all fits together?

You probably need the lost motion link. In the attached 1976 Service Manual scan, it's the part called "link".

Hope this helps.

Pat

Speed Control - Service Manual0001.jpg

Thanks! That was what I was looking for! I do have the "link" and the roll pin. I just could not figure out how it was installed. I have a 1968 and 1969 factory service manuals but the picture or schematic was not clear on where or how this link was installed. Now I go a project for this evening!

Edelbrock (nor Holley as in my example) doesn't make a provision for the link.
I had to modify the throttle assembly a tad to accept the old link and CC cable
Maybe this will help a little:

2dlp75j.jpg

If you can, post pics of your setup when you're done so we can check it out.

Pat

I got my cruise control installed!

I got my cruise control installed yesterday! With the scanned shop manual page and the pic's, installation was a snap! I found on the Edelbrock Chrysler linkage adaptor that the proper hole was already there! I was using that hole for the return spring! I tried it in the garage with the back wheels off of the ground. It surged real strange like! I guessed this was because there was no load on the motor! On the street it worked flawlessly!

IMGP5823 resize.jpg

IMGP5824 resize.jpg

IMGP5825 resize.jpg

Cool! Glad it worked. Thanks for posting the pics! Keep us posted on how it works long term.

Pat

Your setup is a lot nicer than my home brew setup.
I'm going to look closer to see if the Edelbrock adapter will work on my Holley.

Cruise Control update

The cruise control works great on my New Yorker. I bought the unit from a 1980 Dodge Aspen / Plymouth Volare. I was concerned that it would need "tweaked" to work in a heavier car, but works perfect. I adjusted the linkage per the factory shop manual and it work great! Thanks for everyone’s help!
:sSig_thankyou:

I'm assuming your NY came with factory cruise and you just used the Volare stuff underhood? Looks good and the only option better than C.C. is A.C.!

Banjoman,

How'd the brake switch install? Did the cruise one just swap out with the non-cruise one?

No, my New Yorker did not come from the factory with cruise control. I originally got the cruise control unit and all the required hardware from a 1980's Plymouth Volare / Dodge Aspen. I got everything, the cruise unit, the throttle linkage, the wiring and the brake switch. It installed easily on my Dart. When I sold the Dart I took everything off the Dart and stored it in a box. Years after getting my NYer, I thought it would be cool to have cruise on the NYer. It was an easy installation with the exception of drilling a 1-1/4" hole in the firewall. The brake switch installed easily in place of the original NYer switch. The turn signal lever / cruise control switch required a little grinding and a slightly larger hole to install in place of the original lever. My only gripe is the length of the new turn signal lever / cruise control switch. It kind of hides behind the steering wheel. I am not sure if there were longer levers available back then, but I can live with it!

Thanks for the info Banjoman! It's good you grabbed everything off the F-body. Most kits or parts people sell are usually missing pieces like the lost motion link or the wiring from the servo to the under-dash. There are a few different length turn signal levers out there, I have a short one and a long one for my car depending on how it'll line up with the steering wheel.
:sSig_thanks:

Back