Cruising On The Autobahn

My buddy’s Dad was transfered to Europe by Chrysler when we were in junior high. Their company car was a Valiant Signet with a 318. That thing surprised a lot of guys on the autobahn.

I have to give you guys some credit! This is also over on BBO, and it's turned into fighting over it being real or fake.

My buddy’s Dad was transfered to Europe by Chrysler when we were in junior high. Their company car was a Valiant Signet with a 318. That thing surprised a lot of guys on the autobahn.

I bet, and people probably tried to get one of these..
The big three had different approaches to the European market.
Chrysler stayed away from it for a long time
Ford decided to create a whole range of models only available in Europe (and is by far the most successful with that approach)
GM bought the brand Opel at some point in the 60s I guess and planted their V8 engines as the highest option in Opel models.. People were all over these cars, they were super powerful for German standards and they were affordable.

I bet, and people probably tried to get one of these..
The big three had different approaches to the European market.
Chrysler stayed away from it for a long time
Ford decided to create a whole range of models only available in Europe (and is by far the most successful with that approach)
GM bought the brand Opel at some point in the 60s I guess and planted their V8 engines as the highest option in Opel models.. People were all over these cars, they were super powerful for German standards and they were affordable.

???
What are you talking about?
Today? Or back in the 60s&70s?
American cars in the 60s/early 70s were NOT cheap affordable because the USD was very strong !
Chrysler was big in some european countries back then they just didn't want to go to the german market. But they were big in NL, switzerland and of course Scandinavia. They sold around 3.000 Mopars alone in sweden each year in the mid sixties in example

Carsten

IsntI it crazy to think that here in the US you get Prison time for that? For...driving how the machine is designed?
Here in Canada with our ridiculously low 100 kph speed limit we couldn't safely raise it simply because most drivers currently using our highways shouldn't have a licence. I visit relatives in Austria regularly and it is such a pleasure to drive on the highways over there with skilled disciplined drivers. In the narrow village streets with their unregulated intersections not so much.

View attachment 224290

Wonder if a speedometer shop could convert and re calibrate this to a 200 mph speedometer?
I guess it would just be different magnets and a spring or swap the face plate to a US speedometer?
The odometer part would just swap out I'm sure.
Be cool...

Then we would need to twin turbo the 440... :wideyed:
Just need a gear with the right number of teeth and all's good.

Coming back to the Topic...
Yesterday evening on my way home from work, it was already late and rush hour was gone, somewhere between Heilbronn and Stuttgart on A81. It was fun .-)
But not a Vintage car, it was my dayly Driver.
I have never gone faster than 80 mph with the 66 Chrysler, and this just for a short accelaration.
I prefere cruisin with 60 mph on the right lane.

IMG_3545.JPG

Carsten I meant V8 cars built by Opel were affordable, compared to others. I don't even know who else put V8s into their cars besides Mercedes and Mercedes was always expensive.

I’ve seen a (then) nearly new C-body with a 440 and 3.23 gears bury it’s needle more than once. A kilometer speedo that was, made for export. It went fast to 180. Then it took some time, and some more freeway, to reach 200, and beyond. On a deserted regular highway it went fine and straight. Bends went fine at 180 kph, although it took some concentration there. This was a long time ago, when I was young, and there was a lot less traffic than nowadays.

So I see nothing special in the OP’s posted pic. The guy’s only doing 110mph. Why, that’s only where the fun begins.

I have buried the needle more than once past the 120mph marker in most of my cars:)

But I have my hands on the steering wheel and don't take pictures of it.

Carsten

Wasting time over in one of the Facebook Mopar Groups, saw this from a Deutschland member and thought I'd post it here for y'all to see. Kind of bit charged up eh?

View attachment 223633

Looking at his statement where he says " kind of charged up eh?" I presumed he was referring to the amp gauge not the speedo. Here in Jersey 100 MPH is normal on the turnpike and parkway and not surprising on 295.
I've had my truck maxed out at 109 ( governed ) many times. The Challenger 139 and still pulling. We've all seen my speedo photo of my 71. The speedometer photo in the original post is no big deal.

Looking at his statement where he says " kind of charged up eh?" I presumed he was referring to the amp gauge

Yea I was waiting for someone to notice that, think driver needs to do some electrical work before he boils the battery by the end of the autobahn run.

All those dash gauges are touchy and all read differently. If that one has been reading that way since 68 I wouldn't bother with it.

The car is a '67 Fury. The silver trim on the lower dash was used on 67 Furys. 68 Furys had a padded lower dash area instead to comply with federal regulations.

Ahh! I was wondering about that chrome strip (I thought perhaps if it was indeed a VIP or Sport Fury the chrome strip was an upgrade). But that explains that.

My car is a b body, still searching for a c. But I have to go beyond 150 mph to bury the needle.
Going 120 mph is not that big a deal .

Back