Custom Made Radiator Shroud Suggestions

Mudeblue

Reaction score
Have another post regarding an overheating problem I have. Have a 17” Derale installed now without a shroud and determined installing one is first step in solving problem. Derale, not anyone else, makes one to exactly fit my application. Hence, custom made. Can anyone refer an organization that would make a custom made, aluminum shroud?

I've never done it, but I read about an easy method to make a fiberglass shroud. I think I read it on the HAMB.

You cut a rectangular piece of plywood to the size of the radiator. Then you cut another piece, this one round and slightly bigger than the fan.

Then you cut some scraps to the depth you want the shroud. Place the first plywood piece done, center the round piece where the fan would be and fasten the round piece to the scraps and the scraps to the rectangular plywood.

Then you stretch some cloth over it (I seem to remember old t-shirt being really good to use) and then coat with fiberglass gel and strips of fiberglass mat. Knock it apart, and sand and finish.

As I said, it sounds easy, and I've done enough with fiberglass that I would try it myself. If you search YouTube for videos on making fiberglass speaker enclosures. it's the same process.

That fiberglass method looks alluring, but for an aluminum radiator, I made one of 1 x 3 angle aluminum several years ago, for the aluminum radiator I then ran with. It simply boxed in the region behind the radiator, but undeniably improved the draw through it. This shroud, and the radiator it was attached to, was destroyed Sept, 2021. I'm sure I spend about twice $40 on it, with the sundry screws, bolts and aluminum duct tape, but it suited its purpose well.

That fiberglass method looks alluring, but for an aluminum radiator, I made one of 1 x 3 angle aluminum several years ago, for the aluminum radiator I then ran with. It simply boxed in the region behind the radiator, but undeniably improved the draw through it. This shroud, and the radiator it was attached to, was destroyed Sept, 2021. I'm sure I spend about twice $40 on it, with the sundry screws, bolts and aluminum duct tape, but it suited its purpose well.
Thanks. I am starting to lean that direction myself. Darele, which is the fan I have to meet my clearances, has a shroud that would work but they won't sell it separately. Their particular set up would have would have worked but it is 3" thickness and I need 2 3/4." 20/20 hindsight I could have made theirs worked by trimming the fasteners, fan to shroud, but it is to late having bought the 2 3/4 and now having it installed! Bummer!

Thanks. I am starting to lean that direction myself. Darele, which is the fan I have to meet my clearances, has a shroud that would work but they won't sell it separately. Their particular set up would have would have worked but it is 3" thickness and I need 2 3/4." 20/20 hindsight I could have made theirs worked by trimming the fasteners, fan to shroud, but it is to late having bought the 2 3/4 and now having it installed! Bummer!

That sux that you already paid for some hardware and committed to paying more for the installation. Will you get a metal shroud out of this transaction at least ? I ask this because one advantage of using a metal shroud is this: metal shrouds conduct heat from the radiator, and actually RADIATE it further, adding their surface area to that of the radiator itself. I certainly got good performance out of my aluminum box shroud in part from that feature.

Derale makes decent products. I used a 6 blade 18" Derale steel fan with my aluminum cooling system, and still have it. Had I not 1.) found a 7 blade Mopar fan at the neighborhood junk yard for a pittance, and 2.) noticed slight bending of the Derale fan from the collision with that bippy in 2021, then I doubtless would still be using it.

I'm very interested in your particular case, given that you abide just down the road a couple hours west-northwest of me, and experience very similar traffic conditions to those constraining us here. Heat and dust KILL even the BEST machines, and damned southern AZ abounds in both.

Stay COOL this summer!

Back