Custom Vinyl Roofs

Yeahrightgreer

Reaction score
Has anyone had any success of cutting and creating their own vinyl roof instead of using professionally pre-made ones? Or maybe if anyone has pictures of their ride.

Specifically I’d like to add a white vinyl roof to a car however I really enjoy the various “Mod Top” and “Paisley” designs offered on some 69-71 Chrysler products but AFAIK I don’t think any of designs ever came in white or champagne colors. I’m looking to make a very very subtle pattern. Or maybe just a white roof with a raised pattern like I’m the second photo.

What are some options? I know back in the day dying or lacing vinyl tops use to be a thing but I’m not so sure nowadays.

B8CB0B0A-FC16-4854-B458-39EE743AC44C.jpeg

D055BA7F-F34A-40DF-8089-72F371CA8DB1.jpeg

3ABB8B6F-8FC5-48FC-81F6-D4322AFA3EC3.jpeg

4EB56271-66FE-42FB-AE5E-88288C2FD581.jpeg

Btw this roof is NOT gonna be going a C Body, so purists PLEASE remain calm. :lol:
A gal at the big Pavilions car show up in Scottsdale Az had mod top on her 69 satellite. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a vinyl wrap. She said it was dirt cheep and she picked out the mod pattern and they printed and installed her top. That just might be a quick win for you bud.

I’ll add this, you had to get up close to tell it wasn’t vinyl. At 15 feel it looked completely real.

I was thinking about a wrap vinyl roof facsimile the other day. Especially on a non-vinyl roof car or a vinyl roof car that had to have repairs, then repainted, then "wrapped". IF one didn't like it, no big deal, just un-wrap (which allegedly can be easily done inside of three years after installation?).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I was thinking about a wrap vinyl roof facsimile the other day. Especially on a non-vinyl roof car or a vinyl roof car that had to have repairs, then repainted, then "wrapped". IF one didn't like it, no big deal, just un-wrap (which allegedly can be easily done inside of three years after installation?).

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

I’m not sure if there’s like a timer to when you can take it off without needing more work but I know several people who’ve had their car (late model Camaros, Mustangs, GTR’s etc) wrapped several times, sometimes as often as once per year.

A gal at the big Pavilions car show up in Scottsdale Az had mod top on her 69 satellite. Upon closer inspection it turned out to be a vinyl wrap. She said it was dirt cheep and she picked out the mod pattern and they printed and installed her top. That just might be a quick win for you bud.

I’ll add this, you had to get up close to tell it wasn’t vinyl. At 15 feel it looked completely real.

Hmm a vinyl wrap? I’ll have to look into this but I’m not sure I understand the concept. I know how a normal wrap works but a vinyl one? Is it a piece of vinyl with a piece of wrap layered on top of it? Or is it a wrap textured like a vinyl design?

There used to be an alleged rule of thumb (at least on late model/new vehicles) that you could leave it on for three years with no problems to the base paint job. That was mentioned on one of the Saturday morning "Power Block" truck programs, about three years ago. I suspect the wrap panel material has improved since then. Meguiars had some "wax" for them back then, too.

On our company vehicles, one started out silver, but the other two didn't, so the other two had to be completely wrapped. Can't really tell any difference in the colors or gloss, one year into that deal.

In one respect, such a roof wrap might look a little cheesy up close, but possibly not quite so much 20' away. Wouldn't pass any "restoration standards", either, if that matters. But then, the vinyl roof fabrics changed in about '75 or so, at the OEM and replacement OEM level. The former "thick back" became a thinner "gauze back", plus the thickness of the vinyl decreased by about 40% of so. Not very apparent when you see the items separately, but next to each other, the differences are very apparent (when a trim shop we did business with shoed them to me, in the later 70s, when I was looking for a replacement for my '70 DH43 (which didn't happen, back then)

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Hmm a vinyl wrap? I’ll have to look into this but I’m not sure I understand the concept. I know how a normal wrap works but a vinyl one? Is it a piece of vinyl with a piece of wrap layered on top of it? Or is it a wrap textured like a vinyl design?
Nope I’ve always called it vinyl wrap. It’s the stuff you’d wrap a Company car with, thin w your pop art pattern on it. Sorry I’ve always called it vinyl wrap because that’s what they called it in the 90’s when it first came out. My sister had a company that did race cars but nobody liked it, it failed now it’s industry standard. Just a pinch ahead of their time I guess. I think they mostly did craftsman series type trucks. I did a big snorting bull head for a hood.

The roof looked great from 10 to 15 feet. Up close it looked nothing like a real vinyl top. This was in Az so I think about 1 to 2 years lifespan max. All I can tell you is that it drew people in like flies and not too many said oh $&#% it’s not real !!! Most said wow that’s cool. At least that’s what everyone around me did.

Wish I still had a pic of it. Sublime green w the wrapped mod top if I remember.

Last edited:
Back