Damper of choice?

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
I need a harmonic balancer/damper/dampener/whatever you want to call it for my 383, rebuilt to stock specs from the two second conversation I had with the seller. Any recommendations as what to buy what to stay away from? Ai know there's Fluidamper amongst others, don't know what is better, or overkill. The engine is just going to be a driver, a few blasts up to the century mark, but mostly just cruising around. I be using stock style exhaust, and I believe the car has highway gearing. Thanks folks.

"Stock replacement" damper. Probably from an aftermarket company OR a restoration parts vendor. AND rubber freshness matters!
Mopar Perf might have some, just make sure the timing mark location is accurate for what you have.
Be sure to determine where the timing "TDC" mark needs to be in relation to the crankshaft keyway, possibly from service manual pictures?

Fluidamper was designed for high rpm drag racing applications where the outer damper "ring" might dislodge and become a round piece of shrapnel, not unlike a clutch explosion. I believe they are somewhat expensive, by comparison?

CBODY67

I need a harmonic balancer/damper/dampener/whatever you want to call it for my 383, rebuilt to stock specs from the two second conversation I had with the seller. Any recommendations as what to buy what to stay away from? Ai know there's Fluidamper amongst others, don't know what is better, or overkill. The engine is just going to be a driver, a few blasts up to the century mark, but mostly just cruising around. I be using stock style exhaust, and I believe the car has highway gearing. Thanks folks.

You do not need a fluid type damper for this application. There were a variety of different units produced for stock applications. Go to www.440source.com/dampers.htm to see which is appropriate for your application. This site stocks some of the dampers as well. Part numbers for the various dampers are listed on this site.

Dave

DD4AF01E-2AEC-440D-A91A-0F38BB650663.jpeg
I had good results with the professional products dampner. It comes with a weight for cast crank assemblies.

Dont spray chem tool over it tho the timing marks will come right off.

I used timing tape over them and high temp vht satin clear paint

Fluidamper was designed for high rpm drag racing applications where the outer damper "ring" might dislodge and become a round piece of shrapnel, not unlike a clutch explosion. I believe they are somewhat expensive, by comparison?
That was the only name I could think of at the time. Agree it's not what I need.

Do you have the balancer? I had one repaired by Damper Doctor in Ca.

Do you have the balancer? I had one repaired by Damper Doctor in Ca.
No, I can get one off a parts car I have, but thought it better to get a new one for the rebuilt engine vs using a 52 year old one.

Back