Car dies when stopping

With a dirty fuel tank like you seem to have I would recommend installing a simple clear fram G2 filter "before" your fuel pump, then the usual metal canister one after the fuel pump.
I did that just before I went on the drive where my car let me down and removed the second filter as I thought the fuel pump might not be able to handle two filters cause of more resistance in the fuel line........but maybe I can put it back in the line?

I like to have the clear one to see how much crud is being captured, they can get pretty dirty before they start to restrict any fuel flow. My 68 T/C wagon had a decent tank but it had been open to the elements for a number of years, I was capturing sand, debris and crud for a couple years after I started driving it regularly, but eventually it cleared and cleaned up. ;)

I like to have the clear one to see how much crud is being captured, they can get pretty dirty before they start to restrict any fuel flow. My 68 T/C wagon had a decent tank but it had been open to the elements for a number of years, I was capturing sand, debris and crud for a couple years after I started driving it regularly, but eventually it cleared and cleaned up. ;)
I do have a big clear one also. Question is, will 2 Filters be as good as a new gas tank or kinda take me so the same level of reliability?

Well if your tank is really rusty inside then you might have issues with debris clogging up the pick-up, and if the sock is really dirty or torn than you could end up with rust and debris clogging up the fuel line. But as others have suggested you'll need to clean the carb at a minimum, and since you have it apart I'd consider putting in a new carb kit.

The two filters might keep things OK for now but I'd really want to remove the tank and either have it boiled and cleaned out, or if you decide to clean it yourself then remove the sending unit and use some chain and put that inside and roll, shake and jiggle it around inside until most of the scaly rust is cleaned out.

Rust never sleeps. Fuel isn't supposed to look like anything other than fuel. More filters will keep the crud from reaching the engine but your problem won't go away. Your car will thank you and give back many many years of faithful service. When it sits, try and make sure to fill the tank up. There is less room for expansion and less room for water to gather.
Stabil and other style fuel treatments are good idea too.

You should definitely get a new tank and sending unit. Otherwise, you’ll be fighting with it until you do.
There’s no easy run with cars. Either buy a new car for $30,000 or drop the occasional $500-1000 to keep an old one going. There’s no free rides!! Lol

Update inbetween: ordered a new tank - sending unit is just maybe 200miles old, can get it cleaned up nicely still I think. Fuel pump new/pushrod and FIlter also..... Gonna do my homework on the carb on wednesday and waiting for the tank to arrive. Hope that will solve that fuel issue for a longer time...

Update inbetween: ordered a new tank - sending unit is just maybe 200miles old, can get it cleaned up nicely still I think. Fuel pump new/pushrod and FIlter also..... Gonna do my homework on the carb on wednesday and waiting for the tank to arrive. Hope that will solve that fuel issue for a longer time...
You won’t regret it! When you get a good look inside the old tank you’ll see why!

Your new 200 mile sending unit should be fine...just clean it really well and install in the new tank.
I will check if I need to bend the floater rod a bit because when full the gauge just shows max. 70% or less and I wanna get rid of that issue also. Checked gauge, wiring, ground (put in extra ground wire for sending unit already) so I will take my chance on adjusting the floater hope it will help....

I will check if I need to bend the floater rod a bit because when full the gauge just shows max. 70% or less and I wanna get rid of that issue also. Checked gauge, wiring, ground (put in extra ground wire for sending unit already) so I will take my chance on adjusting the floater hope it will help....
The adjustment you want to make is ever so minor. Lower the float into the tank so it will raise the rod higher. I did mine just a hair too much so the needle goes just a hair above full, but I'm okay with that.

Good evening friends,

Today was the day!

Took the carb fully apart and cleaned the sh*t out of all jets transitions holes and so ever . Lots of crude and dirty stuff came out . Adjusted float level and other things also and used almost two cans of carb cleaner . Put everything back together and put it on the shelf . After that I did the volume check @Big_John mentioned and it turned out very good . Good strong stream like turning on a faucet.

Put the carb back on the car and calibrated screws with vacuum gauge to around 17hg at idle .

After that I took her for a 40miles ride trough city and interstate, did brake hard and stop hard at some points and what can I say ?

It actually never ran any better . She’s really hungry and just wants more and more throttle and that thing is running and sounding so healthy and strong !

New tank is coming in next week and before I will clean the carb again from todays ride just to get back to 100% clean carb also will put in a new filter and of course tank . Will Clean the sending unit also and renew the sock.

We solved it guys .

Thanks a lot! So happy to have her running like she never did before !

P.S. @live4theking gonna do it but for the long run I’ll get the meter match thing to synchronize Sender Signal with gauge better .

With a dirty fuel tank like you seem to have I would recommend installing a simple clear fram G2 filter "before" your fuel pump, then the usual metal canister one after the fuel pump.

I did exactly this when I first started driving Gertrude in Fall 2021. Changing the tank eliminated the filth in the lines after a couple weeks, and about 4 filter changes. I used cheap clear plastic filters before the pump, and a nice metal one after it, where the fuel filter normally is put. I even had a second clear plastic fire hazard up by the carb, at first.

CHANGE THAT FILTHY TANK! Dirty gas tanks can be so corrupted as to be beyond rehabilitation. I found DEAD RODENTS in that one.... as well as rust, plastic, polymerized petrol, barn dirt, excrement et cetera. There were several large holes in the top, which doubtless admitted the rodents once.... REALLY BAD!

Back