Dang it!

detmatt

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Why is my Imp eating fuel pump pushrods??:BangHead:

The one on the left is from a few years back(some of you should remember that one), the middle one I just removed and the one on the right is the new one that stays in the car in case I’m on a road trip and need one.

FDFD4E12-CBB1-4135-96FE-D83D024A1F1B.jpeg
73169273-91A9-4D1D-9C05-7CFEC94E3E66.jpeg
3F5C49F2-0391-4DE4-93DE-6204369D2FF3.jpeg

it all started with low to no zinc in the oil . just like a solid lifter , they chew on each other . i've got through many mech pumps to find myself using an electric pump to fix the problem nore than once on 440's , now my 383's have not had is issue , its the same parts . go figger , lol .

Drive lobe is bad. Probably got scored up from the first dead push rod.

Dave
I was worried about that happening when my fuel pump pushrod wore down. So far the replacement has held-up. I plumbed a fuel pressure gauge inline in the steel line to the carb so I could diagnose if it happened again.

For @detmatt the easiest solution may be to install an electric pump?

I’ve ran Brad Penn since the new top end.
I think the first one got worn down by the original cam. I put a new cam in it and then discovered the warn pushrod. I don’t know how long I ran it with the first pushrod on the new cam though....

I was worried about that happening when my fuel pump pushrod wore down. So far the replacement has held-up. I plumbed a fuel pressure gauge inline in the steel line to the carb so I could diagnose if it happened again.

For @detmatt the easiest solution may be to install an electric pump?

Usually a simple way to check the condition of the drive lobe is to pull the pump push rod and stick a bore scope in the casting that holds the rod to take a look at the cam. Probably going to find it shot and time for an electric pump.

Dave

Were those the Comp Cam rods?
I replaced my Mopar one with the Comp Cam one last September (maybe 1500 miles on new engine)
A couple weeks ago I inspected the replacement and it was not worn, a little shiny but not worn. This was after another 1500 miles.

First one with temporary new one.
2017-09-30_001.jpg

Replacement Comp Cam one after another 1500 miles
Img_3026.jpg

Alan

I think the first two were old OEM and I have one more of those and pick up the new comp cams one the last time I was at Mancini‘s just to have another extra.

Better change that oil filter, too, with that much metal gone from the pushrod? I concur on the black moly cam lobe assy lube. Plus the bore scope look-see.

CBODY67

I was due for an oil/filter change so I drained into a clean bucket and before I transferred the used oil into jugs I tossed a few magnets in the bucket and let them stew for about an hour. The magnets were clean when all was said and done so I’m guessing the Wix filters are doing there job. I installed an electric pump back at the tank out of paranoia before it’s last long road trip last year or maybe it was the year before last. I pulled the fuse out of it at the end of last year and on the maiden voyage this year it began to stall out which is when I remembered I pulled the fuse and that’s what prompted me to check the length of my rod today.

Never seems to get any longer. "I measured it three times, still short"

Time for a new cam, put a big lumpy stick in there this time. @Ripinator

The only thing worse than a short rod is having to stick a broom handle where the sun never shines to scare it out to pee. (Yes I am old enough to appreciate the concept)

Dave

Last edited:
The only thing worse than a short rod is having to stick a broom handle where the sun never shines to scare it out to pee. (Yes I am old enough to appreciate the concept)

Dave

Pills and "things that go whirrrrr in the night"?

Time to throw in my favorite cigarette ad campaign once more.

photo-1.png

Back