Dash Clock and Mecum Kissimmee

Scoopy G

Reaction score
Hello gentlemen of the FCBO. I went over to Kissimmee yesterday to see that massive auction event. It was quite the spectacle. So many cars, it was mind-boggling. Once in the gate, I decided to use my time wisely, and not look at one single Mustang, Corvette, GTO, Porsche, or Camaro. Rather, I planned to just look at unusual stuff, which in the end proved to be too big a task in itself, given the sheer volume of cars there. Just two C-bodies did I see, a nice '65 300 convertible, and a nice '65 New Yorker 4-door. Both were very impressive cars.

I did see the Bullitt Mustang, which had sold a day earlier for 3.7 million (including the buyer's premium). The car was encased in a glass box in one of the buildings, with some associated display posters and a big-screen video. It was cool, and sure the car has a lot of mystique, but in my estimation, unless Steve McQueen's preserved corpse was also in the car, then it wasn't worth no stinkin' 3.7 million dollars.

One highlight for me was a collection of 5 Imperial Crown convertibles, one each from '57 through '61. These cars were all restored to perfection, all convertibles, outrageous colors, just Virgil Exner on steroids. The cars were offered as ONE LOT, so any buyer would have to buy all 5 cars. I don't know how that sale turned out, but I sure would have liked to hear the owner's story about those 5 incredible Imperials.

DASH CLOCK.....Does anyone know anything about the dash clocks? Can they be made to work? Common problems? Not repairable? By chance I had some time last evening, and decided to address the dash clock in my '63 Riviera, and despite my post-game relaxed mood (half-in-the-bag), I was able to troubleshoot the thing and got it running! So that has inspired me to try to get the Newport's clock running.

Cheers gents,

Rich in Tampa

Remove the clock and disassemble it carefully. You'll probably find some contact points, similar to what's in the distributor. With time, like the ignition points, they will corrode. Like some used to do with their distributor points, they can be cleaned and filed/dressed to good condition again. Just as with a wrist watch, some cleaning and lightly lubricating the works can help too. There should be somebody who could recommend a repair shop in the Riviera area of the forums at www.Buickclub.org, or in the General section of those same forums. Free registration is required to make postings in those AACA-hosted forums.

The older factory service manuals used to detail the re-wind procedure after the battery had been disconnected. Which FEW every followed, by observation.

Glad you had a good time at the auction!
CBODY67

Don't use WD40 for lube, I did and in cold weather the clock would slow down and go off time if not it would completely stall until warmed up. Back in the 70's I had a small tube with a needle type nozzle of some new fangle 'Teflon' lube that I can't remember the name that worked well. I even bench tested & adjusted a clock for a week or two to get it spot on and it lasted till I sold my 2nd PK21. Fastop & Fury III got boneyard clock bodies from whatever that looked good and I just swapped the faceplate and hands over.

I used to tinker with the clock points mechanisms and it worked for a while.
I now simply get the clocks converted with quartz movements.
No issues whatsoever.
Looks stock and nobody needs to know it has modern day guts.
Keep perfect time and thats what counts .
Instrument Services, Inc.

I am going to have to agree with the quartz conversion. I had mine professional cleaned and it worked for about a year and it never kept good time. I would readjust it every time I got in the car.

It is such an archaic mechanism there's a set of points, which when they close rewinds the clock every 3 minutes, you're going to get carbon buildup on these points pretty quickly. Probably all I need to do to get my running again is to clean the points, but I don't feel like pulling it out every year, for a mechanism that keeps crappy time anyways.

Hadn't thought about converting the clock to quartz mechanism, THANKS. For those of us that dis-connect the battery, even if it DID work properly, it would have to be re-set everytime you drive. For now, I just make do with the "it's correct twice a day" sentiment.

If you want someone to do the conversion or repair and clean the mechanical I used these guys. I will use them again, but for the conversion this time.

The Clock Works

Hello gentlemen of the FCBO. I went over to Kissimmee yesterday to see that massive auction event. It was quite the spectacle. So many cars, it was mind-boggling. Once in the gate, I decided to use my time wisely, and not look at one single Mustang, Corvette, GTO, Porsche, or Camaro. Rather, I planned to just look at unusual stuff, which in the end proved to be too big a task in itself, given the sheer volume of cars there. Just two C-bodies did I see, a nice '65 300 convertible, and a nice '65 New Yorker 4-door. Both were very impressive cars.

I did see the Bullitt Mustang, which had sold a day earlier for 3.7 million (including the buyer's premium). The car was encased in a glass box in one of the buildings, with some associated display posters and a big-screen video. It was cool, and sure the car has a lot of mystique, but in my estimation, unless Steve McQueen's preserved corpse was also in the car, then it wasn't worth no stinkin' 3.7 million dollars.

One highlight for me was a collection of 5 Imperial Crown convertibles, one each from '57 through '61. These cars were all restored to perfection, all convertibles, outrageous colors, just Virgil Exner on steroids. The cars were offered as ONE LOT, so any buyer would have to buy all 5 cars. I don't know how that sale turned out, but I sure would have liked to hear the owner's story about those 5 incredible Imperials.

DASH CLOCK.....Does anyone know anything about the dash clocks? Can they be made to work? Common problems? Not repairable? By chance I had some time last evening, and decided to address the dash clock in my '63 Riviera, and despite my post-game relaxed mood (half-in-the-bag), I was able to troubleshoot the thing and got it running! So that has inspired me to try to get the Newport's clock running.

Cheers gents,

Rich in Tampa

LoL!!!

3.5 million bucks ?!? That’s crazy. Me & my buddy’s dad sat in it at the GNRS last year or two years ago. Now I have great respect for other people’s stuff but once it’s up for sale or auction I’ll just maybe feel free to sit in it. Yes I’ve sold cars at auction and people have stolen parts and killed my battery on the for sale field. The only real auction rule is DON’T door ding the freakin cars. Those little clock/ odo reset knobs go missing like a mad man... I do let people sit in my cars at cars shows. They’re only cars... anyways it was pushed in a corner by where the pinstripers were and nobody could give a $&#% about it. We asked a kid in charge if we could check it out cause it’s for sale and he said yes. We both sat in it and the kid didn’t know who was selling it so we left. I figure I did about 2 or 3 hundred grand worth of time behind the wheel. Gotta love minimum wage watchdogs.

CCCC7B51-9537-4DA1-ADE8-6AC802EBF252.jpeg

E77CFECF-3F6E-48AB-906B-0C369A8DB65A.jpeg

Hadn't thought about converting the clock to quartz mechanism, THANKS. For those of us that dis-connect the battery, even if it DID work properly, it would have to be re-set everytime you drive. For now, I just make do with the "it's correct twice a day" sentiment.

I realize it's an anal thing but there is a difference in the motion between a restored clock and a quartz conversion. A original, or restored clock will have a smooth, unbroken sweep whereas a quartz conversion will move in 1 second increments.
These are the kind of things that stand out to me. I know... I need to get a life....
:BangHead:

good to know - I have a number of old electric clocks, and that's something (conversion of the original movement/mechanism) is something I would NEVER do on something other than an auto clock.

THANKS for pointing that out.

I realize it's an anal thing but there is a difference in the motion between a restored clock and a quartz conversion. A original, or restored clock will have a smooth, unbroken sweep whereas a quartz conversion will move in 1 second increments.
These are the kind of things that stand out to me. I know... I need to get a life....
:BangHead:
TOO much time on your hands.

I used (JC Restoration) our if Washington State, Seattle area I think. Used them for my Window Switches and Power Antenna as well.. owners name is Jeff. Very nice man to deal with.

BF543B64-2632-43B8-A59F-DDF574A83250.png

Agread, but I earned it. :)
You're not alone, I think some people are born this way, years ago I had the tic toc tach in my Challenger converted to quartz and that tic tic motion of the sweep hand bugged me, but it kept great time.:rolleyes:

Back