Dave, Does This Suprise You?

You must live in Northern California. You are most entitled to you opinion and outlook. Good Luck.

Dave

As I stated in my comment, I live in Southern California, less than 60 minutes from downtown Los Angeles. After living here for 68 of my 71 years, I am not counting on "luck" to go the rest of the distance. I truly know where I live and why I love it.

I am happy that you like where you live. That is important. Missed the first part of your post about southern residence.
I grew up in rural Oregon, there used to be a balance between the rural areas of the state and the urban ones like Portland. These days about 2/3rd of the state's population lives in the three metro counties that comprise the greater Portland area. The race for state wide offices always comes down to those three counties and they impose their will on the rest of the state, usually to no good end. I mean this as no insult to you but the liberal values of the three metro counties do not sit well outside of those areas. So if you happy in your area, all the power to you, I am thinking about moving to some place out side of Oregon where the biggest thing in town is the John Deere tractor dealership, these are the roots I grew up with.

Dave

NOTE, THIS POST GOT OUT OF ORDER WHEN I TRIED TO EDIT IT, AND SHOULD GO BEFORE DAVE'S LAST TWO REPLIES;

Agreed. But the same idiots who voted for people who wanted to turn California into a sanctuary state with a very high percentage of folks on welfare that are now bankrupting the social safety net are now fleeing the high taxes, high crime rates and general lawlessness and lack of good citizenship. They then vote for the same type of liberal idiots that caused the problem where they used to live. Coming soon to a neighborhood near you. Pretty soon there will be no place left to run. Got lots of ammo?

Dave
Illinois is the same as Ca and NY. I was born and raised in Chicago. Spent most of my adult life there too. I was able to retire early and couldn’t leave fast enough. The state was just ranked third behind Ca and NY for most people leaving the state. The tax and spend imbeciles in Springfield and Chicago are locked into the squirrel cage. They raise taxes to meet budget shortfalls because y’know, the tax base is shrinking. So then more taxpayers move out. So they have to raise taxes again for the next shortfall and again more taxpayers leave and so on and so on blah blah blah. Its just stupid.

One of the problems with both of your arguments is that, according to the article, California isn't a high flight state (high outbound)...............................................................

In the map below, the yellow states are "high outbound" states, whereas the dark blue ones are "high inbound."

bbsni3d-png.248007
© United Van Lines

And I don't find Dave's characterization of California as anything even remotely close to true. In fact, just the opposite - and I live in a typical middle class community in Southern California with great neighbors - we all know each other well and are willing to help always when needed and everything is extremely quiet with virtually no crime at all. And we are all very patriotic - the flags go up on every fourth of July. All the races get along well, too. The climate is the best one will find in the U.S., at least for my preferences. Where does all this negative b.s. come from? I have been all over the U.S. and there isn't anywhere else I would want to live. Really.

2018-01-20-00-01-53-1-jpg.248006

2018-01-20 00.02.06 (2).jpg

Last edited:
The housing/construction industry in TX, in general, is still booming. NOT just from people moving in with corporate relocations and such, but also from normal population growth of "People already here". There's also a booming horse community, given all of the equestrian events in Fort Worth and such. Housing growth shows no real signs of slowing down, either. In the formerly-small rural school district the farm is in, 72 new homes were built in 2017. I highly suspect that they were all in the $350K range or a little higher. Bare acreage is close to $20K/acre. So the opportunities for somewhat experienced developers to come out, get an 80 acre former family farm, bull doze the trees and such, then block it up into tracts, and the sales come rather quick. Everybody wants "in the country", but they still work in the metro area, which means there's a lot of traffic leaving in the 7am time frame, which will get them to the main areas of the DFW metro area by 9am.

Dallas population growth might soon be to the OK border! No "inexpensive" houses either. I believe the median price for a new TX home is about $325K. Which also means a somewhat lack of "affordable housing" for normal working families. There are still some of the Fox&Jacobs starter home neighborhoods around, but I'm not sure anybody would want a small 2br/1.5bath/small garage home with a small yard anymore? Plus, cycle-repeat two blocks over.

Much or the really affordable housing is in the older parts of the various towns, usually. Younger real estate operatives are buying them, either re-building them into a really nice house, and then selling them at higher prices. Or they bulldoze them and put up a new construction "nice house". But all of this is usually closer to $200K than $125K, usually.

On one of the first infomercials on buying tax-lien properties and such, one of the things they recommended was to clean up the house, do some normal maintenance, then add $10K to the price it normally might sell for. Reason? People want to live in a $70K house rather than a $60K house, they claimed. But to me, the issue could be when the new owners brag about what they paid, their friends might well think "Boy, y'all got took on that deal!" But with normal real estate price appreciation, in another 7 years, they can sell and move onto something newer and better and not look back. BTAIM.

What bothers me about some "immigrants" is that some don't really have a respect for the culture they have moved into. Using "guys" to refer to either gender of person, for example. To me, "Y'all" works much better. If you know what you're hearing, word patterns and how the words are said, we know the people whose families are native to TX, those who live in Dallas, or those that live in other areas of the state. And when THEY mention about how much better the place they moved from is, than where they moved TO, it makes me wonder "If where you came from was so good, why'd you leave in the first place??"

CA, NY, and other major metro areas will always be desirable to live in for some people. Which drives the real estate and land prices higher still. Just the way things tend to be.

Not discounting the actual numbers of tax rates and other things, but it seems to me that much of the negative dialogue about some areas/states of the USA is driven by political purposes. To make one area look bad (for various reasons) as some seek to make themselves look better by not being associated with those areas or orientations.

We EACH have our own orientations of where "a good life" can be had. Some of these places can have their own unique challenges, too. If you're in rural Montana, you might like the solitude of the country areas, but the challenge can be if you need emergency medical care, the closest hospital might be 1.5 hours away. Of course, if you're in some of the more populated areas, the closest hospital might be physical closer, but travel time can still be more than it should be due to traffic, unless you use a helicopter.

Where ever you end up, get it all paid for BEFORE you apply for Social Security benefits! Take advantage of all of the senior benefits available in your area, too. IF you're still young, stash as much as you can into interest-bearing instruments/investments. AND enjoy life as much as you can, in the mean time.

CBODY67

Was stationed in west Texas at Ft Hood. Learned all about the "Y'all" dialect. What I remember the most though was that folks in west Texas could BBQ just about anything from armadillos, racoon, rattle snake, possum and the more usual beef and pork. It was all really good!

Dave

Was stationed in west Texas at Ft Hood. Learned all about the "Y'all" dialect. What I remember the most though was that folks in west Texas could BBQ just about anything from armadillos, racoon, rattle snake, possum and the more usual beef and pork. It was all really good!

Dave

Texas BBQ has a long and storied history. In MANY areas of the state, there were/are local dynasties of BBQ families that are still cooking it the way they used to. In many places, people stand in line for hours to get a bbq meal from some of these places. Quite an interesting situation. www.tmbbq.com

Y'all come on down and get sum!

CBODY67

Not discounting the actual numbers of tax rates and other things, but it seems to me that much of the negative dialogue about some areas/states of the USA is driven by political purposes. To make one area look bad (for various reasons) as some seek to make themselves look better by not being associated with those areas or orientations.
CBODY67

I have to agree that most of the negative attitude toward California is ginned up for political reasons. Too bad that politics as devolved to the pathetic state it is in currently. Hating those who don't share your beliefs on every matter just sets us all on a path of decline overall in our country and strengthens our real enemies. Thanks for your insights.

Between the local/regional bbq places, the many local dancehalls (especially in the central TX hill country), and the many music performers which came out of TX in the 1950s-1960s, quite an interesting place it was (and still is as much of that stuff still goes on today1).

Great long expanses of great (or used to be) highways that made communing with your Chrysler such an enjoyable situation. Plus seeing what far-off AM radio stations you could receive after sun down.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Left Jersey after 9 years there. Left in 2000. Traffic and taxes and COLA were bad. Every family had to be 2-income and day care for small children cost more than $10000/year per child. We had our first child and couldn't afford to live in NJ any more. The big government run-your-life liberals should have just banned kids and saved everyone a lot of trouble.

Too many people!!!!
Not enough space.....
Stop breeding, people are almost as bad as rabbits
You don't need to replace yourself, and your wife, and a extra one just because. Just have one then there is no competition, and hopefully we can get the better half of both of you in your offspring.
Adpot 2 dogs, if you want 2 of something.

Last edited:
The state of California has ruined my life, sent me to the poor house, as well as making me a felon with their draconian Unconstitutional laws, I had no choice but to flee. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm sure as hell glad to be out of that God Forsaken place! I piss on it every chance I get!

I've talked to a few recent transplants from the Northeast and they all said the cost of living was why they left. 2nd most popular reason was that there are too many *** holes up north.

Then they bring their shitty politics that they are fleeing to their new location and try to force it on the locals.:elmer:
B.B.C., If they make it all the way to Wilmington they're gonna think they're back home again. Yeah can't get thru' one day here without one ah finger wave to at least one of these Kamikaze's, lol

B.B.C., If they make it all the way to Wilmington they're gonna think they're back home again. Yeah can't get thru' one day here without one ah finger wave to at least one of these Kamikaze's, lol

Kamikaze, that's the best description for these F'er diving in and out with no regards for life or property.

The state of California has ruined my life, sent me to the poor house, as well as making me a felon with their draconian Unconstitutional laws, I had no choice but to flee. I'm not where I want to be, but I'm sure as hell glad to be out of that God Forsaken place! I piss on it every chance I get!
Most states have pretty uniform laws with few exceptions. What exactly did you do that made you a felon unfairly?

California has insane firearms laws. Most anything that is fun to shoot is illegal, possesion of most of the same is a felony.

Dave

Back