dead carb.

ALLAN

Reaction score
Well the carb on my 1970 318 Polara has finally given up. It's only 50 years old for goodness sake, don't make them like they used to.....etc,etc...(butterfly screw head vanished, leaking from shaft etc )
So I need a replacement for a Carter 2249/2027 (4895S) plenty around but which to avoid? Is it worth sending the daughter out to rummage in breakers? ( Lives in Grand Prairie TX).
I live in the UK so not really practical to send for rebuild or core deposit. Any help greatfully received.

Probably out to stay OUT of the salvage yards as any in there are ONLY good for cores, not something to install and expect to work as it should.

Might contact Dana @ Woodruff Carb (a sponsor and member here) to see if he might be able to find a core to rebuild for you.

CBODY67

The 2bbl Carter Ball and ball is such a simple carb they can be rebuilt.. including bushing the throttle shaft.
I second the motion for you to to contact Dana.

Well the carb on my 1970 318 Polara has finally given up. It's only 50 years old for goodness sake, don't make them like they used to.....etc,etc...(butterfly screw head vanished, leaking from shaft etc )
So I need a replacement for a Carter 2249/2027 (4895S) plenty around but which to avoid? Is it worth sending the daughter out to rummage in breakers? ( Lives in Grand Prairie TX).
I live in the UK so not really practical to send for rebuild or core deposit. Any help greatfully received.
I used for 1970 Fury 318 Carter 2BBL Rebuild: Walker Kit 15284C. It may be simpler to have a rebuild shop in Britain install a shaft bushing and replace the butterfly screw. Then it's a straight rebuild.

I used the Hygrade 346C kit..
20200622_201034-jpg.jpg

well in a moment of boredem I boldly went where many cack handed buffoons had been before me.
Got the carb stripped, cleaned and sitting on the bench,the main damage was the missing screw head of the choke butterfly and a slightly bent butterfly, the remaining screw came out with some fiddling, broken screw with a bit more.
Replacement screws came from my 'gash box' (decades of aircraft engineering it'll be useful one day bits) reprofiled the butterfly, sorted.
Not quite.. I was (am) one of those cack handed buffoons, guilty of putting it back as it came apart and not checking, turns out most of the accelerator pump vent valve is missing. So I'm waiting for another parcel to arrive with yet another rebuild kit, this one with all the bits, so as we are in yet another Lockdown shall I paint the inlet manifold??? No I didn't find the screw head, not too sure I want to go looking.

one question, the carb base gasket, between carb and manifold, which thickness?

If there is one that is thick and has bushngs (steel or plastic) in the stud holes, that one would be best, from my esperiences.

CBODY67

So, the screw head vanished while the carb was mounted to your engine and you can not find it? You may be headed for some major trouble if it makes it past the valves and into one of the cylinders! That is scary stuff.

Back