Deleting a/c compressor

I hear the roar of the fan when the car starts up, and I hear it go away as the clutch disengages. Where as before, it was an always present noise that varied relative to engine speed.

On big trucks, when the fan engages, you can't hear yourself think. When not engaged it sounds like a Lexus comparatively.

Last edited:
My 65 Newport 383 has an after-market York AC compressor, so probably has the non-AC pulleys. I'll see if I have some photos at home. Currently, all is stripped off for a water pump housing change. I have the TRW p.s. pump. I agree that you have to fuss to get pulleys and belts that work. There were many combinations which switched over the years and accessories. At least w/ V-belts, there are many options. Download a catalog from Gates or Goodyear and you can find PN's for any length in 2" increments and 3 standard widths. In my 65 Dart w/ small-block, I had to get creative on belt routing because I installed a later alum w.p. which sticks out more. I later found photos where others had done almost the same (deviant minds think alike?). Google Images is your friend.

This is probably the way you want to go. I've used a 440 4 groove crank pulley and changed the alt and PS pulley to double groove. You have a 3 groove pulley so you'll probably do best to buy the other two unless they can be made to line up with spacers. The water pump pulley is 5 /1/2 the PS pulley 4 1/2. That's measured as groove depth. You can use a straight edge to get the pulley depth when searching for one. I prefer double groove to prevent belt slippage.

View attachment 120173
Where did you find the mount for the Alternator? Or better yet, where can I order the exact one?

Thanks, Cory

I'm resurrecting this old post for a different reason than the OP. I will be rebuilding my A/C system and wonder if there is a simple way to remove the compressor and substitute a temporary idler pulley in place of the compressor pulley so that I can still start and drive the car while I am tearing everything apart. Has anyone done this and if so what did you use?

Back