Deletion of posts, what's the point of doing this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glass is half-empty: the "For Sale" sub-forum is where I, like many others, learned a ton about cars. Some of the allegedly "irrelevant" chatter that used to take place there was critical to that learning, and from a commercial perspective it brought traffic to the site. I get that there may be a trade-off with discouraging some folks to post ads lest their cars get trashed, but... One really was able to learn about the C-body marketplace, Mopar history, and the cars being sold through those meandering exchanges -- and there was (with one caveat below) no better way to motivate those exchanges than to do so amid the excitement of cars being put up for sale.

What your not considering is how many times over the last 20 years of managing forums that I have had complaints from sellers about the 'meandering conversations' and/or disparaging comments and those sellers asking those comments to be deleted. Here is a recent one...

1644944269704.jpg

The FOR SALE forums are there for the purpose to buy and sell parts and cars. By your explanation, I could theoretically delete all the forums and just have 1 forum where anything goes and that would be just as good.

Glass is half-full: the "Cars for Sale on Other Sites" sub-forum is a truly welcome addition to the site, and I am really glad that you have added it. IMHO, in and of itself it cannot substitute fully for what used to be discussed on the "For Sale" sub-forum -- but the fact that discussions are is still allowed to be much more free-flowing is a welcome feature.

The reason we allow it there is that the seller isn't the one posting the ad and isn't here to complain - so you guys are free to criticize, praise, discuss, etc without impacting the seller directly.

What your not considering is how many times over the last 20 years of managing forums that I have had complaints from sellers about the 'meandering conversations' and/or disparaging comments and those sellers asking those comments to be deleted. Here is a recent one...

View attachment 515362

The FOR SALE forums are there for the purpose to buy and sell parts and cars. By your explanation, I could theoretically delete all the forums and just have 1 forum where anything goes and that would be just as good.

The reason we allow it there is that the seller isn't the one posting the ad and isn't here to complain - so you guys are free to criticize, praise, discuss, etc without impacting the seller directly.
You've just made a really good argument for locking the for sale ad and just letting the OP post in it. Any questions could be handled by PM... Although the limit on PMs is a little low, but that's another discussion. It would take the work and controversy out of it...

Let me toss this out there... Suppose someone like some member wants to understand something about how a certain model, like one in a for sale posting, why couldn't he just post in a discussion section and link the for sale ad?

I get both sides of this.... Comments on a lot of the "for sale" stuff is interesting, and not harmful to the sale, but then I see something like the carburetor listed in the for sale section yesterday that had a comment that didn't belong there. I'd be really annoyed if that was me selling the carb.

I know there are cars and parts NOT being listed here because of comments. That may be because of a thin skin on the seller, or it just might be they don't want to deal with it. I don't know. I think if I were selling a car right now, I'd think about posting two threads... One in the "for sale" and one in one of the other sections to discuss the car. Links in each to the other thread.

It's a tough one to deal with... I don't know as you will make everyone happy no matter what you do.

I like the not-mine advertising. The 383 4-speed ‘68 fury in Conway, Arkansas was/is right down the road from where I’m moving. It took a lot of self control not to go look at it. I’m busier than a ten peckered hoot owl. I would have loved to look that car over, maybe get more pictures including the fender tag for you guys and gals but damn it I’m swapped. I have b-bodies and projects that are on hold.

If you like talking politics certainly b-bodies is a brawl sometimes. There was recently a fellow that stated he canceled his Classic Industry order because of the #%~[¥ . And he couldn’t get his favorite Star bucks coffee. That general post was moved into the political one and the fists of fury flew. I posted this photo which I thought was appropriate. (I think it was all a ruse)

As far as member for sale ads I remember posting a “car invoice” for sale. I really was green at the time and crossed a line I reckon because the tread became a conversation about a Flying Whale.

I have since learned a lot, grew a thicker skin, made a few mistakes, got a ton of help from the members here and the other “ @Joey sites”. And I finally did sell that car invoice, reuniting with the 4-speed 300. I also wrote a nice story about a man I knew for only 3 hours and need to finish that up because it involves an English Car Magazine reporter driving Don Rooks ‘70 4-Speed Superbird horribly and Don taking the control of the car driving it like a complete maniac, if I remember correctly, and the English Car Magazine writer surviving that encounter.

Good Day all and Joey Too!

E246E627-1799-4709-B9CE-870A371BE4E3.png

E0BF1023-4835-4CCA-A542-1A26DA9D9E0C.png

I have been deleted a couple of times on the others. Mainly because I forget because of what used to be ok on FCBO. Not a big deal I never criticized anyone's stuff just got sidetracked.
Politics and religion 2 things I could really care less about and yet can get sucked into either easily. Neither has much effect on my life, at least I try to not let it.

Dayam!!! Didn't read every single post here but read enough!! Glad I'm not a mod here LOL. Y'all should go to Moparts and see how things are there. Maybe they pulled back the hammer some since I haven't been active there in years.....

Last edited:
Dayam!!! Didn't read every single post here but read enough!! Glad I'm not a mod here LOL. Y'all should go to Moparts and see how things are there. Maybe they pulled back the hammer some since I haven't been active there in years.....
What you didn’t like my story? Just adding a little color here and letting folks know about the wonderful political area over at the b site. That way after setting their spark plug gaps they might enjoy the spark of politics.

Hey I see you’re new hear, welcome aboard.

What you didn’t like my story? Just adding a little color here and letting folks know about the wonderful political area over at the b site. That way after setting their spark plug gaps they might enjoy the spark of politics.

Hey I see you’re new hear, welcome aboard.
Well, I'm not exactly new.....just haven't been here much....and thanks. Have only had one C car.

call staff names and make snide comments
You've given the woke trolls free reign to pursue anyone with a conservative POV here for years so your whining about this is hypocritical. Of course, when a senior conservative member responds in kind you bounce him. The reality is, it is your prerogative to kick anyone off of here for any reason or for no reason. You should however lose the even handed shtick since it is getting tired. In the mean time some of us who know your agenda, will continue to call a spade a spade.
1644970455825.png

You've given the woke trolls free reign to pursue anyone with a conservative POV here for years so your whining about this is hypocritical.

I have done no such thing.
You've given the woke trolls free reign to pursue anyone with a conservative POV here for years so your whining about this is hypocritical. Of course, when a senior conservative member responds in kind you bounce him. The reality is, it is your prerogative to kick anyone off of here for any reason or for no reason. You should however lose the even handed shtick since it is getting tired. In the mean time some of us who know your agenda, will continue to call a spade a spade.

I have no political agenda here or on my other sites. Whatever you think you know about my politics is wrong.

You've just made a really good argument for locking the for sale ad and just letting the OP post in it. Any questions could be handled by PM... Although the limit on PMs is a little low, but that's another discussion. It would take the work and controversy out of it...

I know. I've struggled with this for years. However, 99% of the comments posted are valid questions about the item. I've not wanted to silence them because a few people think they should be above the rules.

I get both sides of this.... Comments on a lot of the "for sale" stuff is interesting, and not harmful to the sale, but then I see something like the carburetor listed in the for sale section yesterday that had a comment that didn't belong there. I'd be really annoyed if that was me selling the carb.

Imagine you were trying to buy something and had to sift through a dozen comments that were unnecessary just to find the info about the part. Or worse, missed something the OP updated by post because it was buried in a bunch of commentary posts. How about you post your carb for sale and someone chimes in that it can be bought elsewhere cheaper and that your robbing them.

I have done no such thing.
You've conveniently deleted the years long America thread with proof positive that you allowed those turds to run amok. BTW at least one of them (if not 2 under an alias) is posting on the Wuflu thread.
I have no political agenda here or on my other sites. Whatever you think you know about my politics is wrong.
Your toleration of bare knuckle political discourse on FBBO is only because you can't afford to alienate a much larger group, otherwise you'd be pulling the same crap there. Again a few of your posts on the America thread gave you away.

Your toleration of bare knuckle political discourse on FBBO is only because you can't afford to alienate a much larger group, otherwise you'd be pulling the same crap there. Again a few of your posts on the America thread gave you away.

You really have no idea what your talking about. FBBO has a political forum, which I have hesitated to remove because it has been there for so long. The difference is that I have chosen to not repeat that mistake here. And frankly, its comments such as yours in this thread (among other things) that has kept me from doing so. None of this is a result of a political view whatsoever. Here you are trying to turn it into a political issue when none exists. Exactly my point about bringing politics into non political threads.

Looks to me like there is a trade off here. On the one hand it benefits the seller to limit comments so the thread doesn't get cluttered and there is only relevant information from the seller and potential buyers. On the other hand it can benefit the others to allow comments for members to learn about parts and cars. Like @ayilar pointed out already.

First off, I fully understand the decision to support the sellers and I'm not trying to argue against it. However, I'd like to point out that as a novice (have only been here a year now), I am not familiar with the c-body market so I have no clue what "fair market price" would be for a lot of things, even less so if you factor in condition and so on. I can imagine there are more members like me in that aspect. Is that something to consider?

First off, I fully understand the decision to support the sellers and I'm not trying to argue against it. However, I'd like to point out that as a novice (have only been here a year now), I am not familiar with the c-body market so I have no clue what "fair market price" would be for a lot of things, even less so if you factor in condition and so on. I can imagine there are more members like me in that aspect. Is that something to consider?

I'm not sure what this has to do with non relevant commentary.

That doesn't keep the threads clean first of all, and second, it doesn't stop fights, which can easily happen when negative comments come into play. And third, it isn't an option in the software.
Maybe it's not an option in the software that can be made by the original poster to make the choice, but it would be possible to have the administrator create two separate "For Sale" posting options: 1) For Sale ads / Comments Welcome and 2) For Sale ads / Closed to Comments.
This gives the poster the choice on how they want to list their "for sale" item, and whether or not they receive disparaging comments to their ad, it's on them since they made the choice in the first place on how to post their ad.
By doing this, the administrators can easily remove themselves from this pissing match with the people who visit their site. At the same time any "for sale" posts with comments allowed will receive praise or criticism that can and should be dealt with by the OP as they see fit.
If the poster doesn't want the drama (by which I think is over exaggerated concerning this issue) then opt for the No Comments choice to list their ad

I truly feel @traintech55 's suggestion would eliminate the headache the administrators feel they need to deal with on this topic, on a day-to-day basis.

If the poster doesn't want the drama (by which I think is over exaggerated concerning this issue) then opt for the No Comments choice to list their ad

I don't want the drama. I also want visitors who come to the site to not have the drama.

So like I suggested, why don't you post a poll on this matter and let the members decide.

read all of my previous posts. I have bent over backwards to explain why and you guys just don't stop.
The only way I am going to change the rule is to lock out ANY responses in for sale posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back