Detailing Engine Mopar Turquoise - Specifically

Restoration

1. Ross Wooldridge

Ross Wooldridge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

On USA built cars in 66, the engines were typically painted prior to having accessories and their mounting brackets installed. Most of the brackets were blacked dipped (semi gloss), so your bracket is correct. Some of the AC compressor brackets and low pressure piping on the intake manifold were also often painted engine colour, but I've seen examples where they were black too. Throttle spring and trans linkage stuff were engine colour too.

Interestingly, most Canadian engines in 66 were assembled with all their accessories installed, so power steering pump and brackets plus alternator/AC bracketry were most often engine colour. Alternators and AC compressors were not painted engine colour of course.

Interestingly too, because they were assembled on a dedicated separate assembly sub-line, Canadian Police issue engines were not painted with accessories installed in my experience.

FWIW, these are just my observations, and are only related to 66 model year. Nothing is cast in stone!

• Thanks! Thanks! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. 68PK21 440.6bbl

68PK21 440.6bbl Senior Member

My remembering of working on the Mopars back in the 70's & 80's is that the steel brackets were black, and I would say a anodized type flat/satin coating. Not paint and defiantly not shiny gloss paint. Ya couldn't scrape it off like paint, (parts washer). That aluminum bracket on the BB would be natural color IIRC, brackets like that whether Mopar, GM, or Ford were added on/assembled after the engine was painted.

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  3. Verse

Verse Member

What is the correct sheen for black air cleaner? 1966 that is.

4. Ross Wooldridge

Ross Wooldridge Senior Member FCBO Gold Member

As far as I know, semi gloss black. Some will get into arguments about the level of semi gloss, but in my opinion, it's closer to gloss than flat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. bluefury361

bluefury361 Old Man with a Hat

I,ve always gone with 70% gloss black on engine brackets and accessories. Reduced with a flattner.
    As for the turquoise engine paint. I think Bill Hersch's product is closest. But keep in mind, after several heat cycles the color will fade and change, just as the original did. Even finding a protected area the color has been effected by heat and age.

6. Dsertdog

Dsertdog Active Member

After dunking for a couple hours in a mixture of de-greaser and water, the mystery bracket revealed the remnants of a black coating. So I shot it with Semi Gloss Ford black. Oil cap 13 .JPG

• Like Like x 1