Did they ever make a Formal 4-door hardtop without vinyl roof?

hello, i have a ,74 new yorker 4door hardtop without vinyl roof. I,m not sur if it was originaly that way..
Vinyl roof cars had trim around the bottom of the C-piller that were held in place by clips that required holes all along the bottom edge of the roof.
Unless they were all filled, no holes = no vinyl from the factory.

chryslerachter-jpg.70701

Is that the best you can do? Come on, show her off.

hello, i have a ,74 new yorker 4door hardtop without vinyl roof. I,m not sur if it was originaly that way..

Look at your fender tag and see if you have a V code on it.

V1W White vinyl top
V1B Blue
V1R Red
V1F Green
V1Y Gold
V1A Silver

M45 Fender skirts
K7E- Body accent stripe; red
P51 - Auto/park brake release
P31 Power Windows
P41 Power Door Locks
N88 Cruise Control
LA2 No Vinyl/Roof Paint
H53 Automatic Temp Control
L31 turn signal indicators on fender/hood
L81 door ajar indicator light
L35 Cornering Lights
E85 440
D36 727
CS43 4 Door Hardtop NYB; 4dr HT
T6C Jefferson Plant 440cid; 1976 model year; built at Jefferson plant
PDE7 Interior code Cloth leather and vinyl 50/50 bench seat http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...rAndTrim/1976/76_New_Yorker_Brougham_0002.jpg
in dark red http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...rAndTrim/1976/76_New_Yorker_Brougham_0003.jpg

C08 March 8, 1976 Scheduled production date of December 8, 1975

Vinyl roof cars had trim around the bottom of the C-piller that were held in place by clips that required holes all along the bottom edge of the roof.
Unless they were all filled, no holes = no vinyl from the factory.

chryslerachter-jpg.70701

Is that the best you can do? Come on, show her off.
i can,t find any holes or evidence that they were there before. The car is painted new 10 years ago ,maybe they filled the holes.Sorry at this moment i don,t have more photo,s. Will make some soon.

i can,t find any holes or evidence that they were there before. The car is painted new 10 years ago ,maybe they filled the holes.Sorry at this moment i don,t have more photo,s. Will make some soon.

Is there a V code on the fender tag?

Oh driver...take me to thirty-third and third... what's that smell back here? Smells like used wine.. lol

well interesting,taxi cab. The reason why i like those big american cars is because when i was a young boy,there were some Chevy caprices and oldsmobiles (maybe chryslers too?) that were used as taxi. I said to myself :when i,m older i will drive a big american car one day!

There is a code for no vinyl top. I can't remember what it was. The Mopar codes are always 3 digits. E86 = 440 engine, V1B - Blue vinyl top, etc.

There is a code for no vinyl top. I can't remember what it was. The Mopar codes are always 3 digits. E86 = 440 engine, V1B - Blue vinyl top, etc.
My car has the code for no vinyl. We brought that up in a thread a month or si ago.
It was the code for PAINTED ROOF I think... LA2?

Last edited:
My car has the code for no vinyl. We brought that up in a thread a month or si ago.
It was the code for PAINTED ROOF I think... LA2?

I'm having a flashback...

I'll forget it again in another month.

In two Formals that I have pulled the vinyl off of, the roofs did not have the finish paint.
Cars that got a vinyl roof did not get the roof painted from the factory. Hard to believe, but it cost the factory LESS to put a vinyl roof on a car than it did to paint the roof.

The delete code for a full vinyl roof would be V18. The third digit was for the colour and colours were denoted by a letter. A "9" in the third spot meant a special order vinyl roof, while an "8" meant no vinyl roof.

On the body tag, the first entry on the second row from the bottom is for the lower body colour. The entry right above it was for the roof. Thus if the car was to have a full vinyl roof, a code such as V1X, would be on the tag on the third row. If no vinyl roof was to be installed, the code for the colour of the roof would entered.

Thus the tag with the LA2 on the second row from the bottom shows that car was painted Silver Cloud Metallic on the lower body while the LA2 on the third row of the body shows the roof was to painted Silver Cloud Metallic. And no vinyl roof.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

The delete code for a full vinyl roof would be V18. The third digit was for the colour and colours were denoted by a letter. A "9" in the third spot meant a special order vinyl roof, while an "8" meant no vinyl roof.

On the body tag, the first entry on the second row from the bottom is for the lower body colour. The entry right above it was for the roof. Thus if the car was to have a full vinyl roof, a code such as V1X, would be on the tag on the third row. If no vinyl roof was to be installed, the code for the colour of the roof would entered.

Thus the tag with the LA2 on the second row from the bottom shows that car was painted Silver Cloud Metallic on the lower body while the LA2 on the third row of the body shows the roof was to painted Silver Cloud Metallic. And no vinyl roof.

Bill
Vancouver, BC

That's a lot of good intel for a first post right there! Welcome to the best group of C-Body owners on the planet. What's your story Bill and do you have pictures?
:canada:

1) You can't delete something that wasn't standard. Unless it was part of a package, a vinyl top was optional. The only V19 code I can ever recall seeing on a fender tag is on Superbirds.

2) Formal cars will code the top (V1, V4 or V5) over the lower body color if a top was ordered. Otherwise, you will see the paint code listed twice if a vinyl top was not ordered.

3) Exceptions may exist for fleet cars like for cop cars. You can see codes like 999 over 999, V02 or V09 depending on how the car was ordered.

Last edited:
Back