Did this starter just die on me?!

I know you charged the battery, but using a different, known good battery is worth the few minutes to see if it's bad, if you haven't already done the voltage testing as described above. I buy Interstate batteries and they last through the 7 year warranty with no issues. I stopped buying WalShart batteries many years ago, and went with a proven brand.
Tried that too :/ Same thing. Spins super fast then gets really tired very quickly. I’ll keep messing with it. Definitely not going to toss it, I may be able to open it up or replace the non era correct starter on the 62 with it in the future. I have my Dakota starter coming in today! The 68 will be my semi daily driver so I guess it’s nice to have the knowledge that it has a new starter anyways:)

Tried that too :/ Same thing. Spins super fast then gets really tired very quickly. I’ll keep messing with it. Definitely not going to toss it, I may be able to open it up or replace the non era correct starter on the 62 with it in the future. I have my Dakota starter coming in today! The 68 will be my semi daily driver so I guess it’s nice to have the knowledge that it has a new starter anyways:)
I always go with a mini starter if I take the old one off, working or not. Just like the power they have, and their size.

Finally got it! Still waiting on the terminal relocation kit. I knew it was a “mini” but I’m still surprised at how much smaller it is than the factory unit!

DD367003-1344-447E-BB2B-B36E92B66F5D.jpeg

7F28FACE-1138-4D06-A580-EA3B220AB968.jpeg

Back to your old starter. Likely the bushings inside are worn so your armature gets a little drag slowing it down. I had similar issues. Would crank normally a couple of turns and would slow down. Took it apart and found a lot of slop in the cap bushings. Pitting and wear on the solenoid contact as well. Replaced all the bushings and brushes and cleaned up the solenoid contact (battery power goes through the contact) Checked the armature for shorts and re-installed. Way better performance. Hopefully your new starter does the trick.
Chrysler Starter disassembly and refresh.

Back